Life without a bike

Hi,

I was planning to get a driver’s license before I leave for Taiwan in January. However, I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth the trouble. If the driving is so bad in Taiwan, how safe will it be for a brand new driver to get a scooter? Last time I tried to ride a bicycle I nearly ran into a car on a country road in Costa Rica.

If I stay in Taipei, can I do everything I have to do without owning a scooter? How much of a convenience is it to have one–in terms of cost (garage, gas, bike, insurance, etc.) and time?

If you are going to live in Taipei, you wont need a scooter, in fact you are better off without one. Parking space is scarce in Taipei so take mass transport whenever possible. Riding the subway will seem expensive at first but when you figure in the cost of a bike, license plate, and fuel then riding the sub everyday will be cheaper.

Many places in Taipei are within walking distance and many more within easy bicycling distance. Buses are frequent, the MRT is fast, and when absolutely necessary, taxis are cheap.

just get a nice boyfriend or girlfriend with a scooter or bike as soon as you can. You can get most things in Taipei by foot or bicycle.

You’re going to want to get into the mountains or off to the beach, though. :smiley:

The MRT is far cheaper than any subway system in the US, anyway.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]just get a nice boyfriend or girlfriend with a scooter or bike as soon as you can. You can get most things in Taipei by foot or bicycle.

You’re going to want to get into the mountains or off to the beach, though. :smiley:[/quote]

I certainly do hope to get a nice boyfriend to drive me around :laughing: (among other things :wink: ). But if that takes a while, what are my transportation options for getting out of the city, to the mountains and beaches?

[quote=“Persephone”][quote=“canucktyuktuk”]just get a nice boyfriend or girlfriend with a scooter or bike as soon as you can. You can get most things in Taipei by foot or bicycle.

You’re going to want to get into the mountains or off to the beach, though. :smiley:[/quote]

I certainly do hope to get a nice boyfriend to drive me around :laughing: (among other things :wink: ). But if that takes a while, what are my transportation options for getting out of the city, to the mountains and beaches?[/quote]

buses and trains will get you there.

[quote=“Persephone”][quote=“canucktyuktuk”]just get a nice boyfriend or girlfriend with a scooter or bike as soon as you can. You can get most things in Taipei by foot or bicycle.

I certainly do hope to get a nice boyfriend to drive me around :laughing: (among other things :wink: ). But if that takes a while, what are my transportation options for getting out of the city, to the mountains and beaches?[/quote]

Our hiking club does most of its hikes with public transportation. See this thread for places we’ve been, none of which have taken an hour to get to:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=38896

The two Taipei Day Trips books list dozens of local hikes that can be reached by public transport.

In addition, see my thread on the teahouses of Maokong. These are all in the mountains of southern taipei, and can be reached by a 10 minute bus ride from the last MRT stop. Many trails start just behind the teahouses. So, with a 10 minute ride from the MRT you can be on a clear, clean, natural trail that goes on for hours with no other people.

The beaches are all accessible by train or bus. A scooter is nice for crusing around the mountains, but not necessary.

I agree with the above posters that public transport in Taipei is good.

When you are feeling brave enough, you may also want to get a bicycle. Riding this could help you develop some road sense that would be useful should you ever decide to get a motor vehicle.

I refuse to be on or ride a scooter in Taipei. It is very dangerous because traffic lights are just used for reference. I do own a scooter though but ride it around the Mountains for fun. Taxis are inexpensive but can add up if your taking them twice a day across the city. The MRT is great if you live in close proximity to a station and I think it is faster to take the MRT from Shi Lin to Xin Yi then to take a taxi most of the time.

I’ve lived in Taipei for over four years now and have never driven a scooter or private car within the city limits. Actually, the only time I ever operate a motor vehicle is in Kenting and that’s only because the best beaches are too far (and too far uphill) to walk to and there’s no mass transportation or taxis. It is very easy to get around most places here without any car or scooter of your own. Besides, it’s far easier getting ready on your way to work if you don’t have to drive in the process. I was never good at driving and braiding my hair at the same time.

Yep yep. Scooters are an evil influence in Taiwan.

I don’t play Jade Empire, but I do have NWN. :smiley:

Um, curious. The Hengchun peninsula is pretty flat and the beaches are of course at sea level so how are you walking uphill to get to them?

Um, curious. The Hengchun peninsula is pretty flat and the beaches are of course at sea level so how are you walking uphill to get to them?[/quote]

Okay…it’s uphill and then downhill, but you have to get past sail rock, maobitou, the lighthouse, etc. to get to places like jialeshui and that beach that comes before it (which is free to use, but rocky and the waves are pretty rough for surfing). Not that I mind the nice view overlooking the cliffs of [color=darkred]impending-death-should-a-chicken-bus-come-flying-from-the-other-side-of-the-road-which-has-minimal-guardrailing-to-prevent-the-inevitable[/color], but it is a bit alarming. Ahem. Sorry, just my acrophobia talking. You know how that goes. :wink:

Those places are the only bits I go to at Kending any more, apart from Bart Simpson rock for snorkeling. That beach with the golden sand studded with huge rocks at the bottom of that grassy cliff? Simply gorgeous. Wish I was there now!

Hate to be an old fart, but Taipei traffic is eons better than it was 10 years back.

Traffic lights just for reference? In Taipei? Not on the main roads for sure.

But Taipei County?? HA! That’s a whole t’other story.

I don’t know. I have to travel from place to place and I am a little impatient waiting for busses and MRT’s etc.
I wouldn’t like to be without my bike. It’s 20mins walk or a 120NT taxi ride to the nearest MRT station and by the time I’ve waited in traffic on a bus or in a taxi or got to the MRT station I could be across Taipei and at my place of work.

So it all depends on what you do, your time limits and how confident you feel riding in a foreign country with mad traffic.

I wouldn’t come here and start riding here immediately, but after a few months perhaps buying a scooter will be beneficial, if only for the experience.

FYI, a poster said that owning a bike or scooter is more expensive than using the MRT or taking a taxi.
I disagree. A typical single MRT journey is 20 - 25 dollars - thats 40 there and back at least. I spend 200NT around town every 2-3 weeks on my bike.

Of course outlay and insurance costs have to be totalled in, but given the time spent in a taxi, MRT or on a bus compared to the time spent on a bike I believe it’s false economy.

Perhaps the best thing to do is come here and then assess your personal circumstances and then make a decision. You can survive perfectly OK without a bike here.

Different strokes for different folks. I’m considering getting a car because of how much I spend on taxis but if you want to go into Taipei city then you have to find parking, the stress of traffic and idiotic drivers. On a scooter you are at the mercy of busses, cars, taxis and scooters. I’d rather not take my chances and rely on public transportation at the moment.

I’m afraid to ride a [color=brown]bicycle [/color]in traffic because I tend to drift in whatever direction I turn my head. From what I’ve heard so far, Taipei does not sound like a good place to start learning how to ride a motorbike.

However, if I change my mind when I get there, how difficult would it be for me to get a license? I’m not sure I’ll have time to take lessons and pass the test before I leave here.

i have been told that it’s easier to pass the drivers test in the states than in taiwan. something to do with driving between cones on the ground and stuff. moped was supposed to be difficult because you have to go slow on a strip of paint.

get a drivers license in the states and then a AAA intl drivers permit. less likely to get a ticket i think.

as for bicycles, i personally would stay away from them. with a moped at least you have some speed to your advantage. bikes dont have speed when compared to a car, nor do you have extra mobility to dodge cars/buses/taxis/etc.