Like Eel? Not Kosher but at the Last Supper

“we are looking at, in fact, sections of grilled eel garnished with orange slices” popular in Italy at the time.

1 Like

At the risk of @tango42’s topic receiving 0 replies, I will reply to say, actually I don’t like eel.

:rofl:

2 Likes

:happyrunningaround:

Eel sushi is great! However, the better eel I’ve had is ironically full of semi-soft micro bones, which are not so good.

Can make up to 1 million NTD a day catching baby eel.

Tiny eel bonanza!

In the right circumstance, this looks delicious.

You just might have to wait a while for that circumstance…

2 Likes

Eel is one of those weird foods you kinda don’t want to like as a kid because they basically look like water snakes… but they taste so damn good. Especially when they’re prepared like this in Japan. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

IME only the Japanese can make eel delicious. Jellied eels, paling - revolting.

Does anyone have experience of delicious eel outside of Japan?

1 Like

I had some barbecued eel in Korea, which was okay. But yeah, Japanese do them best. I’d try the jellied eel out of curiosity, but can’t say it looks very appetizing.

3 Likes

Paling in t’ groen was what I meant. One of the top 10 unpleasant dishes I’ve ever eaten.

1 Like

Jellied eels are awful. Cold, bony eels in an aspic like jelly.

Well, it’s a Medieval English dish, right? Like boiled lampreys… not a lot of great cuisines came out of Medieval England…

A bit later than that. Around the same time Brits invented creme brulee.

Creme brulee is good

3 Likes

One of our kings died after ODing on lampreys. At least, that’s the story.

Ah, I get what you’re hinting at. I do like creme brûlée and many other foods from the UK. I’m a sucker for a good English breakfast fry-up. Their food used to have a certain rep though, which Finland seems to have taken over in recent decades.

Henry the VIIIth, I believe.

Henry I.

Whoops. I guess hedonistic over-indulgences of another type did that Henry in.