Like magic, a thread disappears

Bobepine wrote" [quote]The first thread was an invitation for flames and flames aren’t well tolerated these days. [/quote]

Just some light-hearted fun I would have thought, Monty Python style “I flaunt dirty laundry in your general direction” and the like.

The thread itself was not a flame. If other people are not able to respond within the rules then that’s why we have moderators. Their job is to deal with people who can’t observe the rules after being asked to. I didn’t break any rules, and I would like an explanation from the moderators as to why my posts are being deleted.

I did it, once words like “fucking asshole” started to appear in it, as I basically don’t do surgery on threads in temp - after all most of them have a limited shelf life.

After discussions with admin, the thread is likely to make it back, minus 1-2 posts.

Loretta :offtopic:

I am also a bit puzzled as to why the stupid cardigan stuff wasn’t temped, even though I wrote it (sorry to piss you off).

However with the bizarre moderating going on at the moment… a sure fire temp gets left on, when perfectly fine stuff that should be kept on doesn’t… :s .

Again… sorry to get on your t#ts

Funk, No worries, but I’m also confused as to why the cardigan stuff wasn’t temped.

It seems like people are perfectly at liberty to turn serious discussion into bullshit, but when you post seeking higher quality bullshit - in the appropriate forum - enough people are unable to recognise it for what it is that it ends up being disappeared. This decision is a reflection of the quality of posting here more than it is a reflection on the moderators, who have to deal with what they see in their limited free time.

Judging from Mr He’s comment, the prevalence of people who are unable to post creatively - even when asked to do so - creates an atmosphere in which the holier-than-thou brigade feel justified in lecturing people who seek nothing more than a bit of harmless banter. I’m talking about rubbish like this:

What does this have to do with anything? If someone posts in THE TEMPORARY FORUM they’re not usually looking for, or imparting, information. It was an attempt to elicit a higher standard of negative response than, for example, the stuff quoted by Tom Hill in his recent ‘vitriol’ thread. The message, for those who are able to understand it, is that even with a minimal information content, it is possible to write posts that are entertaining and possibly of some benefit to the reader. An intelligent put-down, a witty response, insight, an alternative point of view on any subject, no matter how insignificant, has value even if certain readers are too offended and self-righteous about what they see to recognise that.

The fact that some people don’t have any interest in contributing to such a thread does not justify throwing it away. It justifies those people going away and doing something else. The only time those people should get involved is when threads get disappeared, and the principles of diversity and freedom of expression are being challenged. In that case, the correct response is to support the principles on which the site is supposed to operate, not to cheer a mistake as the right thing to do.

Sitting back and applauding because something (or someone) you don’t like has been repressed only makes you look silly when that person is subsequently vindicated. My thread is being returned, minus the objectionable material posted by some people who didn’t get the point, and anyone else who didn’t get the point now has to face the uncomfortable prospect of admitting that they were wrong.

Mr He, thank you for being ‘a moderator you can reason with’. No hard feelings about your malicious attempt to silence me. :slight_smile:

Isn’t that best done with bacardi?

Isn’t that best done with bacardi?[/quote]

That’s only temporary. As soon as the glass is empty I start talking, and the more I drink the more I talk. It’s a nightmare, and there’s no ignore button.

Hey! :fume: Stop being silly in my serious thread. I’ll tell the moderators to have you temped.

[quote]My thread is being returned, minus the objectionable material posted by some people who didn’t get the point, and anyone else who didn’t get the point now has to face the uncomfortable prospect of admitting that they were wrong. [/quote]Apologies, perhaps I was wrong. I feel quite comfortable saying so however.

How can a thread asking people to give you their best shot be of any benefit to anyone other than maybe satisfy your need for violence? You asked for it and I posted. Perhaps you really had lighthearted intentions. I’m willing to believe that and I apologised accordingly but… Have you ever hear of the story about a kid who cried wolf all the time? In other words, you are known for enjoying a banter, either lighthearted or serious. How am I supposed to tell the difference so easily? I honestly read your thread as plain stupidity and a lame attempt to solicitate a flame war and again I’m quite comfortable apologising if need be because I’m not about to beat myself over an erroneous interpretation of your posts. It happens all the time, especially to guys like Stragbasher who are well known to enjoy a little bashing. :wink:

1-Plenty of threads to get into harmless banters here, what’s the point in grave-digging some offensive generalisations from your previous identity to solicitate a banter?

2-Is that really quality posting? Digging some old offensive posts in order to create a “harmless banter”? I don’t understand why you allow yourself to comment on the quality of my posts and others when you find it interesting to dig up your old posts to create a banter.

3-Please find a subject that you care about and post away. If what you care for is having a real banter, then I suggest you read this first:

[quote=“The rules”]In this regard, we strongly advise that our members exercise a little common decency, rather than trying to parse the message board rules to figure out what type of antisocial behavior is not forbidden…

We do not typically delete threads which many members may consider to be “flamebait.” However, the administrators will occasionally remove threads which we, in our discretion, consider too rhetorically hot or too inflammatory. Please use good judgment when starting threads; inflammatory rhetoric does not normally lead to productive discussion.

Do not post duplicate topics that have already been posted.[/quote]

As for the quoted bit from Stragbasher, I would recommend you read this bit.

[quote=“The rules”]Do not post duplicate topics that have already been posted.

Gravedigging is spam. Replying to old topics is spam if you have nothing substantial to add to the topic and are just doing it to bring the topic back up to the top. Gravedigging replies may be floundered or deleted.

Please note that, strictly speaking, sweeping statements about entire groups of people are not considered personal attacks. However, they are often inflammatory and counterproductive and the moderators have broad discretion to remove such posts in the interests of keeping the peace on the message board.[/quote]

Counterproductive and inflammatory sweeping statement. That’s what that quote from Starg is and on that count alone not even mentioning that you dug it from the graves, it should be flamed

For that reason alone, I think the thread in question should remain in the flame forum. If it doesn’t, I will strongly disagree and I will post my feedback accordingly. You wanted a banter? Now be happy. :slight_smile:

There are rules here about gravedigging, about provoking genuinely concerned individuals and also about sweeping statements the like of what you posted. If this thread is allowed to stay, then why bother with having such well drafted rules?

And finally: [quote=“the rules”]In this regard, we strongly advise that our members exercise a little common decency, rather than trying to parse the message board rules to figure out what type of antisocial behavior is not forbidden.[/quote]

Have a nice day Mr. Loretta.

bobepine

I really have no idea what your point is. It’s just another whiney post lecturing other people about how they should behave, based on your own interpretation of the rules. Why not just accept that other people make the decisions around here, and accept the site - and other people’s preferences - instead of constantly quoting the rules in a lame attempt to make people see things your way?

You have your opinions, I’ve heard them, and we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Further attempts at justifying your position are pointless, not because you’re wrong, but because I don’t care. Until such time as you are free to make or enforce the rules, your opinion is inconsequential to me and I’ll only answer you when I feel like arguing. Now that you are aware of that, telling me how to behave is simply picking a fight for no good reason.

And my name is Loretta. I don’t have a second identity. I changed my name and my name is Loretta. Please respect that fact.

[quote=“Loretta”]I really have no idea what your point is. [/quote]Doesn’t surprise me since I’m not quite sure what your point is either. In brief, my point is that I think your thread is in very poor taste. Here’s a quote from it.[quote]Reply to the quote below, which is one of my earliest postings at forumosa, as rudely as you like. But try to be imaginative, and at least a little on-topic. Presumably the rules continue to apply at forumosa even if the OP offers a waiver, so your comments should be defensible to any heavy-handed mod. [/quote]You offer a waiver and when someone takes you up on it you go complain that their quality of posting is not good. That’s hypocritical and quite sly. Why complain if people are rude when you actually asked for it in black and white? :loco: [quote] It’s just another whiny post lecturing other people about how they should behave, based on your own interpretation of the rules.[/quote] I’m not sure about whiny but it is indeed my own interpretation of the rules as we all do have our own interpretations of them. [quote] Why not just accept that other people make the decisions around here, and accept the site[/quote]Hey, you started this whining thread in the feedback forum not me. Read this: [quote]The thread did specifically remind people that the normal rules apply and that any reply should be acceptable to the moderators, so it seems unlikely that anyone has been such a wanker as to remove it. Are we experiencing technical difficulties again?[/quote] Who’s calling moderators wanker? Who’s whining now? :laughing: I posted my opinion in your thread because YOU were whining, calling mods wankers for deleting your post and YOU were not accepting that other people make the decisions around here so before you call me a whiner or tell me that I’m attempting to make you see things my way, or that I can’t accept the decisions made by mods, please look at this thread and you’ll see that the OP is you and the original complain is yours. Also, do not post a thread for all to participate if they wish to do so if all you have to reply is your double standard BS. Pleeeease don’t ask me to accept the decisions made when I was actually agreeing with the mods, not the other way around like you.

If you didn’t whine in the first place over your silly thread being flamed, I wouldn’t be posting now would I? Also, if you didn’t invite people to be rude to you and offer a waiver to the rules, then I would not have posted my inflammatory comment either.

So let me get this straight. You ask for rude replies and when you get it you reply this: [quote]Judging from Mr He’s comment, the prevalence of people who are unable to post creatively - even when asked to do so…[/quote]But you wrote that:[quote]Reply to the quote below, which is one of my earliest postings at forumosa, as rudely as you like. But try to be imaginative, and at least a little on-topic. Presumably the rules continue to apply at forumosa even if the OP offers a waiver, so your comments should be defensible to any heavy-handed mod. [/quote]To tell you the truth, I expected Mr. He or Ironman to flame my post as I knew it was offensive but I sure didn’t expect you to use it to lecture me in your terms since you asked for it very clearly. My bad, I should not add to the mods work load and I apologise to them for it. My comment stands however, I think you’re chasing your tail and quite frankly this is the second time in a very short period that your posts on Forumosa seem quite ill-advised and shady but most of all just a bunch of poorly applied double standards.

Just recently you went off about pcness in the bullfight thread. That’s the ultimate in terms of telling people how to behave and now you have the balls to tell me I’m trying to make “people” see things my way? Not people, just you. I think your posts are sly, yet very smart, but something shines through. I’m not sure what it is, some kind of frustration with the site and how other people treat you or something like that. It started about bullfight and ended up changing into a discussion about PCness.

Now this new thread asking for insults(Rude replies) just so you can turn around and post this:[quote]Now that you are aware of that, telling me how to behave is simply picking a fight for no good reason.[/quote] That’s quite hypocritical if you ask me. Reminds me of a classmate I used to have who got two guys pumped for a fight just so he could go rat on them to the director once they actually were fighting.

[quote]And my name is Loretta. I don’t have a second identity. I changed my name and my name is Loretta. Please respect that fact.[/quote]Again, double standard BS. Do not dig your old posts from Stargbasher if you don’t want that identity mentioned. I wrote this and I believe it says Loretta…[quote]Have a nice day Mr. Loretta[/quote]Besides, I believe that before it was edited, the name Stragbasher was actually posted by you.

Anyways, I see that the thread in question was returned to the flounders however it was heavily edited and my post was removed. It’s too bad you ask others not to post their opinions, or I should say not to impose their opinions on you while you can’t even post something without having it edited by a mod or by yourself, I don’t know who’s edited the OP.

I think it’s also hilarious that you call me a whiner while you started this whining fest about your silly thread being removed.

I think it’s ironic that you pretend that others are telling you how to behave when you are doing nothing but the exact same thing.

I think it’s ironic that you can dish it out but you can’t take one on the cheek in a thread where you actually asked for rude replies. Be a man and and stand for what you write at least. If you can do the talk, try to do the walk. Crawl if you have to Christ.

I think your posts are ironic, shady and a clear expression of hypocrisy.

People post their opinions on Forumosa and that’s what I did and so did you. No need to turn things around and apply standards to which you do not abide to yourself.

To conclude,

I do disagree with the mods decision to bring back your thread but it was edited at least and in the end it’s just a thread and admin and the mods alike are never going to please everyone. I’m not going to start a thread to whine about it and complain that others are forcing their interpretations of the rules on me be it in their posts or in their decisions to remove my post/thread. That’s what you did. I’ve said it enough lately, I think the mod squad does a fine job and I think Forumosa has greatly improved in terms of civility and friendliness.

I’m not going to bitch, call mods wankers or suggest that the site is having difficulties because the decision made was not the decision I would have made, all the while blaming others for posting their opinions in a plaintive thread of my own. That’s what you did. I’m also not going to complain that other people were rude to me if I ever ask them to do so, not that I would.

In the end you have your thread back and maybe it’s best that admin or mods made that decision just to shut you up if anything.

What a waste of time. On that note, mods and admin, please accept my most sincere apology. :s

That was my best shot…

bobepine