Linda given the boot

From that BBC article:

Seems a valid point to me. It also seems to me that China is actually leaping ahead in developing a rule of law while Taiwan continues to flounder. Could it be an inherited failure of democracies?

I’m no expert on law.

HG

Just saw this

REFLECTIONS ON RETURNING TO TAIWAN
Linda Gail Arrigo
August 1990 in Taipei
(Published in Chinese in the Independence Daily Post, mid-September 1990, and later in overseas editions.)

An excerpt:

[quote]Reflecting on my adolescence in Taiwan and my young adulthood among Taiwanese in the United States, I see also that it is no accident that in 1975 I should have determined to leave my son and comfortable home in California and commit myself, not knowing any of the future, to delving into the social and political issues of Taiwan. In that summer of 1975 I met Chen Chu and Chen Ku-ying, both of whom exposed me to the victims of political oppression; in my study of girl factory workers I saw the hapless victims of economic oppression; I found evidence that my country, the United States, had a hand in both. And I felt compelled to struggle against that oppression because in my gut feeling the victims seemed like my husband and my son.

And I belong to the history of the Taiwan democratic movement together with all those who lived it.[/quote]

Any news on Linda?

HG

She’s got a job editing for a government department. Her visa situation is sorted, but I can’t remember if that is because of the job, or because she ‘won her case’.

Considering how the DPP government has completely “pissed” on the human rights of foreigners, I am suprised she is editing for a “government” department.

Some of these old-time democracy activists from the good ole days are full of horseshit anyways.

Did you read the paper about Chen Chu’s comments upon announcing her intention to run for Mayor of K-City? Basically, because she is Taiwanese and has been a democracy activist for so long, people shouldn’t question her past performance as Chairwoman of the CLA.

In my opinion, that so many abuses happened during her reign only shows that the DPP cares about human rights only for Hoklo Taiwanese.

She did jack shit for foreigners as the head of the CLA. (I shouldn’t say this…I live in the same complex as she does in Taipei :blush: )

Fuck these clowns. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“sandman”][quote]Besides the reasonable requirement that an applicant must be resident in Taiwan for five of seven consecutive years and not have been convicted of any major crime that would carry a prison sentence, the conditions for an APRC include vetting by the police of tax and financial records, proof that an applicant’s accumulated real estate and liquid assets are valued at over NT$5 million and a “good citizen” certificate from their home country.
Given the notorious difficulty in applying for APRCs, the requirement that foreign residents must apply for permanent residence within two years after eligibility can only be described as cynical. [/quote]
Bunch of ignorant un fact-checked bullshit.[/quote]Rules are rules. Even though they sometimes suck.
Sandman -
What errors do you see here?[/quote]
Accumulated real estate and assets valued at over NT$5 million. Bullshit.
The requirement that foreign residents must apply for permanent residence within two years after eligibility. Also bullshit.[/quote]

If she really wanted to stay she could have applied for citizenship.

Under ROC law here in Taiwan … “dual citizenship” is allowed … isn’t that right ??

[[color=red]Moderator’s note: The poster is hereby excused for making this post … [/color]]

The “you must apply within 2 years of eligibility” thing IS definitely invoked.

I applied successfully for an Article 51 so-called “open work permit” based on having been in Taiwan on an ARC behaving myself for at least 5 years; my application was made just on the good side of 2 years after the date I left Taiwan after completing that (actually more than) 5 year stretch. I got that permit. Then, later, I applied for a second Article 51 permit (you need one for each job). Despite my holding a valid Article 51 work permit and being in Taiwan legally, working and living based on the ARC issued to me based on it, I was refused another permit on the grounds that “your eligibility was too long ago.” :loco:

So…that means that I couldn’t apply for any other job until I’d been in the first Article 51 job for five years, so as to amass sufficient requirements for getting one? :fume:

I left Taiwan. This was a major reason why. And I like to think I’m one of the sort of people who might have been of some use to the country.