Linen versus Cotton trousers

Which do you prefer for the hot Taiwan summer? Which material is the best anti jock itch and other such itchy leg ailments. Cotton or Linen?

I prefer linen.
I have mine tailor made. Not easy to find lots of linen in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Linen is better in the heat. Cotton is a great all-purpose fabric, but linen is even more breathable and dries faster.

3 Likes

If you can ignore the wrinkles and the stretching, linen is way better than cotton in the heat.

That said, newer hi-tech fabrics are superior to both.

2 Likes

So basically if just for the tropical summers then go with linen , but cotton is good for both environments?

I am ignorant with clothing materials, but I keep getting itchy, so I had to ask.

It’s that time of year for skin to show signs of drying out, you sure it’s the fabric?

There’s some Aveeno stuff at Costco you can rub into your skin, very helpful. And something you may already be aware of, an EU bath soap that also works miracles for me (Badedas). It is (or was) also available at Costco, and while it’s a bath soap it can also be used in the shower. Might be hard to find at every Costco, though. It has a concentrated green dye that will dilute to a piss yellow, a real dealbreaker for some Taiwanese people.

Anyway, the hi-tech fabrics are a helluva lot cheaper than linen, but not as cheap as cotton. If that helps.

Yeah I think that’s a good strategy. I generally wear cotton blends but I break out the linen shirts when it really gets hot out. Light colors always so you don’t absorb the sunlight and end up feeling even hotter.

Are you itchy because you’re too dry or itchy because you’re too sweaty?

1 Like

I’ve been using the German brand Sebamed’s anti-dry formula for years and that works well for me. It can be found in large pump bottles at Cosmed/Watson’s/Poya.

If your skin is seriously dry, don’t buy anything that’s marketed as a lotion. A few years ago a derm told me that most of them are 80% water. What you want is a cream. I’ve been using this one ever since I started having problems with eczema and recommend it to everyone:

If nothing seems to help, it’s possible you’ve developed a sensitivity to your laundry detergent. Some can be very irritating to the skin, especially scented ones. Try switching to something formulated for sensitive skin and see if that helps.

2 Likes

I think white linen suits were the standard men’s dress in the West in the summer like 100 years ago. That and a boating hat. Great Gatsby kind of thing. I always thought it looked pretty comfortable.

1 Like

I would not recommend white linen in Taiwan.
Hell to clean. I usually buy darker linen - blue, dark green, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you that is nice of you. I will get some of that cream. Itching or I would say tingling around the knees or more precisely just above the knees. I was given anti histamines and even cortisone but it did not have any effect. I find cotton trousers are better than synthetic materials, but have not to my knowledge tried Linen. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’m not going to claim much expertise on skin care, but I will say that I’ve used this Aveeno skin lotion for years.

In US winters I get itchy around this time of year, and once I found this stuff I’ve never used any other stuff. Almost no scent, absorbs quickly, no greasy feeling, comes in a 2pk @ NT$489 at Costco Taiwan (sometimes on sale, too).

https://www.aveeno.com/sites/aveeno_us_2/files/styles/jjbos_adaptive_images_generic-tablet/public/ave_381370038443_00000_600wx600h.jpeg

1 Like

All this talk has got me thinking of going to find some linen at the fabric market or the fabric street in Luzhou and get some trousers made.

1 Like

Big fan of linen in the summer. Wrinkles are a pain, but I can’t be fucked to iron them, so I’ve chosen to ignore it.

1 Like

Too sweaty and then too dry because I was too sweaty I guess. :thinking:

So you buy your fabric and then take that fabric to a tailor to get trousers made?

Ordinary lotion is perfectly serviceable if you don’t have any major skin issues. It’s stubborn dryness that calls for cream.

2 Likes

I take it this guy who has others carry out the work.
He has also made shirts for me. He has samples of fabric too.
His rates are reasonable. And he will work with you to get the sizing right.

1 Like

I prefer shorts… anything that will remove the heat. Maybe something with active cooling…

1 Like