Linkou Old Street 林口舊街

Took a cruise down Linkou Old Street this evening. Didn’t notice anything really different from other small streets and saw one western-type hamburger place.

Was that really the center of Linkou in times past? Why that spot? Curious about the history because there’s nothing much and Linkou has kind of moved to other areas.

Linkou Old Street
https://maps.app.goo.gl/wtoTZtanpJxDawcw5

D&G Burger美式漢堡店/美式餐廳
No. 25, Zhongzheng Road, Linkou
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UvbwUUiaL2U5MnZH6

By old for you mean 1970’s concrete and tiles?

3 Likes

It’s the name on Google Maps not my description. Looks likes that.

I think that it probably is the historic centre of Linkou when it was a town. However, I’m sure many of the original Japanese and Ch’ing houses are long gone and were replaced with the square washroom tiled retake-the-mainland houses.

In my opinion, Sansia Old Street is one of the best preserved.

4 Likes

is it just me, or are you, @tango42, like everywhere on this island on any given day or hour?
or are you one of those truck drivers masquerading as an omnipresent forumosan?

2 Likes

Not everywhere on any given day, but could be anywhere in Taiwan on any day. I try to get out and about.

2 Likes

There’s an old street in Linkou? I’ve always thought Linkou was the area around Linkou station on the airport MRT line, and that Mitsui Outlet was the town center. Of course, I had never been to Linkou before the MRT opened.

1 Like

I’ve been to many ‘old streets’ but also never knew linkou had one.

I accidentally found the Linkou Old Street on google maps when searching for attractions.

“Linkou attractions” is an oxymoron. To the locals, the biggest Linkou attraction is ChangGeng Hospital, and that’s not even in Linkou. It’s in Guishan, Taoyuan. But I guess telling people you’re going to Turtle Mountain for surgery is a little suspect.

Linkou doesn’t have many nice views but here are a couple within walking distance from Old Street

仁愛路觀景臺

林口新寮景觀步道觀景台

Lohas Park
樂活公園
Enter from Sec. 1, Wenhua 1st Road.
Go through the end until you see the viewing deck to the highway.

I always thought the biggest attraction in Linkou is that big-ass Guanyin temple:

Not exactly in Linkou, but a short scooter ride from, is my favourite spot with amazing view of Taipei/New Taipei:

1 Like

I’ve ridden my bike down that road to the lookout, a narrow rural road. You go past a military shooting range, and you can literally hear bullets as if whizzing by your head.

1 Like

That sounds like a little more excitement than I need on a hike to be honest.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yeah I stumbled up on that place a few weeks ago like what?!

Especially with a park and lake out front.

1 Like

I’ve gone on many a ride in and around Taipei. That was the only time I felt fear for my life by something other than bad traffic.

2 Likes

Ooh I want to go now, I love fear.

I fear love.

1 Like