Linux is a load of crap...!

I have tried seven yes SEVEN variants of Linux on three systems with a variety of components. I’m not by any means a computer novice, but I tell you…

1. Linux is impossible to set up no matter how I do it. I have never had a satisfactory experience with Linux. I have been trying tor two years.

2. My conclusion: Linux should stay in the research labs/backrooms/garages… it’s not ready for the desktop at all. General use of this iOS is still more than 10 years away by my guess.

3. When you spend more time fiddling with your machine, trying to get it running, you’re wasting valuable time that you could be doing a hundred other things with. I’m a patient person usually, i’m even willing to put up with inconvenience/etc, but i’m sorry. I just can’t see what the fuss is all about.

4. It’s true I’m not a Linux expert, but do I have to be just to get the damned system working…?

so, Linux need not worry Bill Gates. When even I can’t set it up on my pcs, I doubt that many other people will be able to.

Bill Gates, get some sleep. Microsoft still rules the desktop!

Kenneth

It’s not “cool” to say that Microsoft whips Linux’s ass, so good on you. The one person I know who uses Linux admits that it is difficult to use and that the main reason he does so is that he dislikes Bill Gates and Microsoft’s business practices. I can see both sides of the argument, but as a complete computer idiot I am glad that there is a world standard; Microsoft.

Sorry you’re having trouble. Why don’t you tell us what kind of hardware you’ve got and what distro you’re using. I know you’ve been trying out cdrom based distros but the way I learned was to simply wipe my harddrive and try to install linux. I’m posting this from a machine running Mandrake 9.1. I installed it last night in about an hour while watching TV and eating supper.

Here’s a screenshot of my desktop (just copy and paste the url into your browser, don’t click on it).

geocities.com/blueface666/wm.jpg

Patient you are. I would have given up after 2 weeks. :wink:

But seriously, I did install Linux before on my home PC (long time ago when a i386 was still state of the art) and had not much problems except with the GUI (graphical user interface). At the time however X-Windows was still in it’s infancy stage, the OS itself made no problems.

I have recently partioned my laptop’s harddisk because I wanted to install Linux but unfortunately I would need to wipe XP first (and later re-install it) which is not really an option since I use the laptop at work. :frowning:

Beside the installation difficulties Linux is more stable than any Windows and most suitable for small enterprise servers.
By now I feel it’s suitable for desktop use and even some city councils in Germany (and the Chinese government?) have decided to change from Windows to Linux (mainly due to cost).
For the home use it might not be the first choice, admittedly Windows is more widespread, more applications are available and the OS / applications are perhaps easier to install.

True, though personally I consider it fun to fiddle around. If you don’t like that and want to use you PC straight out of the box you are probably better off with something like Windows (XP).
At which point I would question (in a friendly way) why you actually wanted to install Linux in the first place?

Bill Gates isn’t losing sleep over Linux on the desktop. He’s losing sleep over the growing use of Linux on business servers.

Well, geez, Ken. I’ve installed Linux on at least a half dozen machines so far, and all it takes is to drop the CD into the tray, boot it, and let the automated installer do its job. The only time I ever had a configuration problem come up, it was a matter of setting the video mode to something that was compatible with Windows NT, since the monitor was being switched between two separate computers (a “KVM” switch, if you’re familiar with those).

I have no idea what you’re trying to run it on, but I would say that it is much more likely to be a question of your bizarre hardware, not Linux. Are you by any chance trying to install it on an older laptop?

Have you already tried a very standard, well-known distribution such as RedHat or Mandrake or SuSE? Mandrake is supposed to be especially friendly to beginners. RedHat is arguably the market leader for corporate use.

Or, if you really just want to try the utmost basics – no GUI, no apps, no games, nothing but the very core of Linux – try Tom’s Root Boot:
toms.net/rb/
which is intended as a “rescue disk” in case your Microsoft Windows system crashes so badly that it corrupts your Windows installation (which happens, as I know well). You won’t be able to run much or try anything fun, but it is at least a functioning Linux system on a single floppy, and maybe it will give you some clues as to why you haven’t been able to get a functioning install.

Ironic isn’t it that we need to use Linux to rescue windows!

I’ll give Alleycat’s suggestion a try before posting more information!

Since I have had 3 different systems, I would have to be particularly unlucky if each system had odd setups…

Thanks,
Kenneth

I’ve used Linux on and off starting with RedHat 4.3 on a P133 with a random bunch of Taiwanese hardware. I’ve heard the Mandrake is extremely easy to install (basically pop the cd in).

I’m going to have to admit that Linux is not suited for home users. For organizations that have IT departments and standardized hardware, it’s fine. So, if you don’t want to deal with the mess, stay away! However, if you’re interested in running your own web/mail/whatever server (and you’re willing to invest the time to secure it), it’s a lot of fun!