Little, annoying key-board problem

Hi. The “P”-key on our Compaq presario 1700 laptop computer has decided to work only occasionally, this started a few weeks ago and although it’s not a big problem, it is quite annoying … any tips on what we could do, short of replacing the key-board (or the computer … !)? Thanks, Xpet.

1. clean your keyboard
  2. pop the key off and see if anything’s there that shouldn’t be
  3. buy a new one, they’re cheap
    :rainbow:

Martin, thanks. You mean I can just pull the key off the board? Cleaning sounds like good advice … :slight_smile: Thanks! Xpet.

Martin, do keys these days have individual switches built into them? Back when I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Plus, there was a switch membrane that ran the whole length and width of the keyboard. If one key wasn’t responding, you most likely had to change the whole membrane.

I haven’t looked inside a keyboard since then, but I’m happy to learn that things have apparently changed!

[quote=“joesax”]Martin, do keys these days have individual switches built into them? Back when I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Plus, there was a switch membrane that ran the whole length and width of the keyboard. If one key wasn’t responding, you most likely had to change the whole membrane.

I haven’t looked inside a keyboard since then, but I’m happy to learn that things have apparently changed![/quote]
I don’t know about Sinclair ZX Spectrum PLus keyboards…but most keyboards nowadays are made the same.

Here’s a guide for cleaning your keyboard and popping the keys off.
gorge.org/images/kbdclean/

Edit: Didn’t know that was a notebook, I do not recommend popping those keys off. You may seriously damage your pc.

Just to remind everyone, Xpet is talking about a notebook, don’t know if the keys can be removed as easily, but it’s certainly can’t just plug in a replacement.

If it was a electrical problem I would imagine other keys would be effected too because they’re arranged on a grid, so maybe it’s just a mechanical problem with that key, have you been overusing that key ? What words have you been using that have a lot of P’s in them ?

BFM, WTF are you insinuating? :smiley: Don’t think we’ve been overdoing it on the "P"s, but let me check with my wife …

Thanks for pointing out the desktop/laptop difference, TP & BFM, I don’t think I’ll be popping any keys out any time soon. If a thorough cleaning (thanks for the link, TP!) doesn’t help I can always connect a separate keyboard …

Thanks, Xpet.

BFM, WTF are you insinuating? :smiley: Don’t think we’ve been overdoing it on the "P"s, but let me check with my wife …

Thanks for pointing out the desktop/laptop difference, TP & BFM, I don’t think I’ll be popping any keys out any time soon. If a thorough cleaning (thanks for the link, TP!) doesn’t help I can always connect a separate keyboard …

Thanks, Xpet.

Thanks, Xpet.

Notebooks may not have poppable keys, mine doesn’t.

When the parrot got some out I wasn’t able to pop any of them back, though some of those looked ‘poppable’. Although the notebook’s under warranty Acer didn’t count parrot damage as warrantable, and it cost NT$2100.

If you don’t want to replace the keyboard I can only think of doing a cut-and-paste anytime you want a ‘p’ - you can always go to any website and copy a ‘p’… a good spell checker may also be able to replace words missing 'p’s.

It is often written that one should not have a cup of coffee or tea near one’s keyboard in case of spills. Why oh why then did I not take the logical step of taking the same precautions vis a vis corn soup?

(To add a little of value to this post may I add that if your keyboard’s playing up you can enter text, albeit slowly, using the “Onscreen Keyboard” in Windows XP: go Start - All Programs - Accessories - Accessibility. It’s very useful although I don’t think they had corn soup accidents in mind when they designed it.)

If your laptop can accommodate a plug-in external keyboard, that’s a cheap temporary fix. It’s not real convenient though if you’ll be traveling with the thing.