Live No-Rules Fighting Videos

Due to popular demand, I will be providing links for various websites that have FREE downloads and clips of actual no-rules street fights. I’m not publishing this to discredit any martial art styles or systems, only to let you guys see what we’ve been debating the past couple of days and take it as you will. I will be updating this list as more people send me the links so check back to see what’s new!

Andy Wang
TaipeiBJJ@hotmail.com

This link is to the match I told you guys about on the other thread. The Kung-Fu instructor challenged ANY grappler to a no-rules fight which included eye-gouging and groin strikes. The Kung-Fu instructor put up $5,000 USD for the winner. John (Challenger) had bruising around the eyes from the gouges, but if you have good audio you can actually hear the Kung-Fu guys arm snap. You have to give credit to the Kung-Fu guy because he had the courage to test himself instead of just talking tough. Unfortunately, the rest of the Kung-Fu community didn’t feel that way and they abandoned him after he lost.

The match is half-way down the page.

bullshido.net/modules.php?na … info&id=44

This link has a TON of live streetfights and just click on the link that says 60 amateur streetfights. Take note how all of the fights start standing and most will end up in the clinsh/ground. Very important to be well-rounded!

cityrag.blogs.com/main/2004/08/i … 0001989417

The following link is to a page with lots of various types of fighting. Very informative and easy to use.

www.onthemat.com

Where has the link gone. I heard about this fight. Was told that the kung fu guy was crap and hopped around like an idiot as was also out weighed. However i have not see it so cannot say.
Most fights yes are all over the place including on the ground and standing up. Some remain standing up, (been in and seen them) and some are mainly on the ground. But certainly most fights don’t end in a twenty minute guard position and nearly always the dominant attacking move is the PUNCH, sometimes standing up punches sometimes ground and pound. Hardly any street fights end up in submissions like at least half of ufc fights do. I would advize someone who is learning to street fight the following,

First learn to punch properly then learn counters to take downs then learn how to get someone off you if they manage to sit on your chest. Then learn mental attitude!

Thanks for the link. Some great stuff here. Some of its reakin hilarious.

The link where the JKD-trained guy, Danzig, gets his butt kicked didn’t work, too bad, it was a fun story to read.

“yes should of said the other links were good too”

Trig I agree lots of wankers got into Jet Kune do. However lots of great martial artists did too. Like Danny Inosanto and John Lober. John Lober was an excellent MMA fighter. No disgrace that he was beaten by the shoot fighter Frank Shamrock one of the best ever MMA fighters.

Notes on Bruce Lee and Jet kune do.

Bruce Lee’s Jet kune do was a philosopy of fighting. Basically Bruce Lee was trying to encourage people to free themselves from form and use what was natural and suitable for them (a big deal 30 years ago). Most of his philosophy was taken from Lao Tse’s Tao te ching. Bruce Lee did not want people to follow and copy his movements but rather to find what was suitable for him/herself as an individual. Taking into acccount their size etc etc. The tao of jet kune do and other Bruce Lee books are excellent reading and I highly recommend them. Bruce Lee would of been a good MMA fighter for his weight class but i do not believe the best one. However i do believe he would of been one of the best teachers. Why is it that martial arts teachers also have to be the best fighters? This is not the case in boxing where many of the trainers are skinny old men that could certainly not fight Mike Tyson but could certainly teach and impart more knowledge than Mike could ! best fighter does not mean best teacher. So next time you hear about 20 to 40 year old MMA people going around challenging 60 to 80 year old tai chi masters to dules well that doesn’t mean “jack oranges.”

ttt

Here is a grappling match my cousin was at in Whiterock, BC.

Download the file.

deasnutz.ca/videos/crickster … arch12.wmv

Here is a matchup of Bagua fighters in competition.

emptyflower.stanford.edu/video/Bagua_fight.WMV

It is displays like this that puts me right off the Traditional martial arts scene.

Great submission wrestling link. Which one was your cousin ? Some great wrestling in there!

The traditional martial arts video was pretty pathetic. The black guy starts out trying to use Pa kua then realizes toward the end of the fight that it is just not woking ! Then he reverts to any old method and does slightly better. Well at least these guys were willing to test themselves unlike many traditional martial artists ! But that is the only good thing i can say about that performance. Yeah thumbs down to those pa kua guys and thumbs up to the sub wrestling guys! Still i hope there are some pa kua guys that can use their pa kua better than those two did, may be some in Taiwan ?

It’s fun to watch fighting matches, but somehow I don’t see the excitement of 2 guys rolling around hugging each other after being tired out from trying to tackle each other. I went to that event at the university a month ago or so, and found it quite boring, and felt cheated at the result of the last match…a tie, yeah right!

Frost, since I was one of the judges at those matches, may I be so bold as to ask;
are you saying the match was “fixed”
or are you saying the judging was bad
or saying based on what I presume is your lengthy martial arts judging experience (I myself am fairly new to judging, my first martial arts judging position was in 1978) and better observation angle on the fight your opinion is superior to the judges
are you simply stirring up shit?
I might suspect the latter and would not have bothered to reply except for the fact that we all (the sponsoring school, the officials and the participants) took pride in the fact that completely unlike the other half-assed fucked up attempts at NHB tournaments that have been held here in Taiwan over the past few years-which have been marred by the usual mix of corruption and incompetence that plagues the Taiwanese martial arts scene in general-this tournament was run with international rules, that were followed without exception. On a personal level I do not care what some kid in the audience thinks of my judging but I do care about the school which sponsored the event

Being one of the fighters in that “boring” match, I’d like to know more about what Frost wants to see in fighting events. Perhaps he’s implying that there’s something boring about the rules we fight under, but that’s just like saying he doesn’t like our sport, in which case, who cares what he has to say?. But it’s hard not to read his post and think his real message isn’t that the quality of fighters was no good. If that’s the case, perhaps he can point us in the direction of higher quality fighters willing to step up and demonstrate their skill. I’m sure that everyone in our club would appreciate the challenge.

brian and scott.
well put…
andy is fortunate to have you as his students. and i am proud to be your teammate.

warren

brian and scott.
well put…
andy is fortunate to have you as his students. and i am proud to be your teammate.

warren

Before I get more people ganging up on me let me comment. brianlkennedy, I didn’t mean the match was fixed, I went with 5 other forumosans and we all saw the same thing, one guy was clearly the winner. But when you announced that it was a tie, we were all shocked, but figured you decided that way for some reason or another. Maybe to show the true spirit of the sport? Anyways I have nothing against your judging as you have so jumped to conclusions about, and I’m happy you have 26 years of experience, I just observe on what I see. I guess looking back on it, I will retract my statement about it being boring, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Reminds me of all the UFC crap, sure they are skilled and trained well, but I still don’t like it.
To scott: I didn’t say your match was boring, I meant it all on a whole. Which I took back. I personally don’t like your sport, but I am sure the quality of the fighters was the best in TW, which isn’t saying too much.
No need to get all defensive cuz someone doesn’t like your sport, but from reading the post about it and actually going there I was let down, the post built it up too much.

I was one of those other Forumosans there, and I agree with Frost that the last match result was quite a surprise, but I put it down to the fact that we’re probably just looking at “who kicked who’s ass hardest” where you and the other judges were likely looking from a perspective which included more technical aspects as well, which we just don’t have the eyes for.

I can’t speak for Brian, but for my part, let’s just call this a misunderstanding. Still, I can understand from Frosts’ post why Brian felt upset. There are a lot of ways that you could have asked him to explain himself without appearing to challenge his judgement.

I agree that if the match had lasted one more round, there would have been a clearer result. My interpretation is that Nick won 1 round based on having landed more decisive punches. Vaugh won the next round based on his finishing in a superior position. Andy tells the story of a jiu-jitsu competition where one of the fighters let his arm be broken so that he can escape, allow the clock to run out, and win on points. After all, it is a sport.

As for whether or not it was exciting, I’d still like to know what you want from a combat event that you didn’t see at our event. In some ways, I can understand that a ballet-like performance based around kicks and punches may be preferable to some people. I can also understand that a lot of people like the flair and drama of professional wrestling. The rationale for NHB/MMA was originally to settle the question of who would win in a real fight. We made some compromise for the safety of the fighters, but other than that, I think our event settled this question.

A bunch of amateur athletes who train really hard got a chance to have some fun, no one got seriously injured, and all this was free. If you have any ideas about how to have a more exciting event, let us know. Keep in mind that I’d be a little disappointed if you said you wanted to see more broken bones and blood. Despite all the nature of our sport, that’s not what we’re about.

I didn’t see the local event, but I know exactly what he is referring to when he said

and I’m sure a lot of fans feel the same way. The UFC and other top-level fighters are so skilled that when they land on the mat one of them will often go to an effective guard position immediately, to keep from getting pummelled and often they’ll stay there for much of the match. One can’t blame them for employing such a good tactic if necessary, but most fans, like Frost, want to see kicks and punches. It’s not the fault of the fighters. The primary purpose for them is not to entertain the fans; it’s to avoid getting hurt and to win the match. I think MMA is a great thing for eliminating all the speculating and BS about which fighting art is the most effective, but I think Frost does have a valid point (although even defensive squirming around in the guard position may be more interesting to fans who are skilled fighters than to novices who find it nothing but dull).

Incidentally, MMA is not the only sport where skilled defensive maneuvers sometimes make the event seem dull to the fans. How thrilling is it to watch a soccer or baseball game where the final score is 1-0? But to the winning team, the W is the most important thing.

I can totaly understand why Frost might think a sub wrestling match or BJJ or vale tudo match is boring to watch. Personally i enjoy watching them and used to enjoy fighting in submission wrestling competitons. However to the untrained eye i think it would be kind of boring. NOT YOUR MATCH but these kind of matches in general. I remember my dad years ago falling asleep in the Dan Severn, Gracie UFC match (my dad was 62 at the time) while i was on the edge of my seat with excitement !

I don’t think Frost said anything that offensive or wrong just that he didn’t agree with the judge and thought the match was boring ! SO WHAT ! that is his opinion. I see that the judge at this event had a lot of experience and therefore would get it right 99% of the time, even so Frost has the right to disagree. I believe most of the general public still prefer to watch a K1,Thai boxing or boxing match compared to vale tudo and I think Frost would also enjoy that more. I like to watch all of them.

My suggestion to Frost
Frost may i suggest that you practice some BJJ or submission wrestling for six months just to see if you change your opinion. Personally i have done boxing since the age of seven and wrestling for many years and have also studied kung fu and thai boxing, I like all of them and they all have their strong and weak points. Frost if you are a kung fu man then i still suggest you do at least six months in one of the grappling arts at least to know what you are up against and how best to counter it. I have also been in both boxing, sub wrestling and unlicensed boxing fights in Europe and had some “all in” “completely no rules” fights. So i make the above suggestion from experience not a boast but just to reinforce my suggestion. Apologies to you if you have more experience than i do, as i don’t know you!
p.s.
Try watching K1 i think you would enjoy it.

To the guys who were in that competiton.
i’d say well done to you guys as you made history by being the first proper mixed (legal) martial arts competiton in Taiwan. (to my knowledge) about time i’d say!

I’m glad some of you took the time to come watch our event and the criticism is welcome. As a new and budding sport here in Taiwan we need all the feedback possible to help make this grow properly.

That being said, looking back at the event we had 9 matches total, with 5 ending with either a submission or KO. That ratio would be good for any quality combative event be it MMA, Boxing or Judo. The problem I have with the previous “MMA” events here in Taiwan were that the mismatches were designed to ensure that one guy would get beat-up and fast. That’s the only reason you put 53 year-olds against men half that age. I’m not interested in any of that; I’m here to promote the sport properly which means having TWO prepared/trained combatants, TWO equal-sized combatants and most importantly rules that will allow the sport to flourish and remain true to the spirit of hand-to-hand combat. The result? Not every match will end in 30 seconds. When you have good match-ups, there will be stalemates and for every move, there will be counter-moves. That’s what I want to see, and that’s what I’m going to be pushing. I WILL NOT knowingly make mismatches for the sake of “excitement” or “action”. How many legitimate combative sports have KOs or Ippons every match? Are Boxing championships always settled with a KO? Nope. Are Olympic Judo matches always finished with an Ippon? Nope. That’s what happens when you have EVEN matches and ready-to-go athletes.

Secondly, judging is VERY difficult for any sport, and you will see errors made by professional referees in every sport, be it basketball, baseball and so on. The only question I am concerned with is the INTENTION of the referee/judges. Is there an INTENTION to cheat? Does the officials go into the match already looking for ways to cheat someone? I’m sure all the competitors and spectators will agree that there was no ill-will on the behalf of me or the judges/officials I put in.

I’m not so sure why you guys felt the final match was so controversial. Nick Stach won round 1 clearly with better takedowns and effective striking on the ground, thus a 10-9 round in favor of the RED fighter. Vaughn Anderson came back in the 2nd round and did the exact same thing that was done to him; he controlled the fight on the feet and Nick began gassing at the end, where Vaughn was able to finish the fight with him mounted and punching at will, thus a 10-9 round for YELLOW. Simple math tells me that equals out to 19-19 scores, which is a draw. I have the tape here at my school and if you can point out to me where we went wrong, I would really appreciate it.

I have been fortunate to have been a part of this sport for almost 10 years and even more fortunate to have participated as a fighter/trainer/cornerman in the most prestigious MMA events in the world and I want to bring that level of professionalism here to Taiwan. If you feel the fights are boring or lack skill, please point me in the direction of where I can find the best and most talented fighters because I have left no stone unturned in asking various styles and teams to participate. The last event featured 18 brave souls willing to put it on the line, of which 10 are training with me…so there’s NO QUESTION where the heart of my team is.

Sincerely,
Andy Wang
Taiwan Jiu-Jitsu