Living in a van

Yea, that’s not a problem. Register your HHR at your relatives and go live wherever you want.

Officially this is not legal but everyone at the HHR office knows that people live outside of their HHR and have systems in place for it. They also know 90% of all landlords will not allow tenants to register HHR.

I fuckin’ hate pikeys.

4 Likes

It would make a lot more sense in a place where you can drive further. There are only so many places you can go on an island.

It made sense in London because of the high rents. I didn’t drive far at all, because I was scared to, and because it was not trivial to find discrete places to park a huge yellow truck.

Saved me a lot of money, but OTOH it probably stopped me making an effort to buy a place, which would have made me a lot more.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Given the relatively low rents in Taiwan (especially outside of Taipei) as well as the “van life” reference, I assumed the person in question was pursuing it as a lifestyle choice, not as a matter of financial necessity.

As a lifestyle choice in London I liked it because I was “beating the system” and it was sort of “alternative”,

Margaret Thatcher and her big and small C “Cconservative” fans had a hard-on against New Age Travellers at the time, so it felt good to pretend to be one, though I didn’t actually travel much, and I had a very well paid IT job in the City at the time so didn’t fit the socioeconomic slot either.

Pretty much anything Margaret Thatcher was against I was for, and vice verse, except lean-burn engines.

Objectively though it rather sucked. As well as the no property thing, you had to sneak around all the time, and I was woken up a few times by the van being broken into, requiring defensive action. Gets to be a bit of a pain after a while.

Doing it in a non-urban setting might be pleasanter but you lose the protection of anonymity that a city gives and it wouldnt necessarily be all that easy to find parking spots. I’d think you’d be more likely to get away with it in Taiwan, where people tend to mind their own business.

One curious thing: When discussing this with colleagues and acquiantances a common reaction, especially from women, was

Essex Girl “Ooh, I wouldnt stand for that if I caught you parking on my street. I’d be right on to the police.”

Me “Why is that. What harm would I be doing?”

Essex Girl "Well, Ah mean, you might be a pervert

I don’t (and didn’t) get it. I might of course be a pervert, but its presumably a lot easier to be a practicing pervert behind the hedge and curtains of a detached house than it is parked up in a truck.

The price of non-conformity is the presumption of perversion?

2 Likes

It’s living out of a van, not living in a van.

I think people vanning in Taiwan spend a lot of time out of their van. Like when it’s hot, they are outside the van in a chair, in a tent, under a shelter, in a convenience store or coffee shop, taking cold showers somewhere, doing things, etc.

Also, bugs. Can’t leave doors and windows open without good screens and want to have circulation.

Other distractions can help.

I asked a shop who modifies vehicles for stuff… like food trucks and stuff.

He said in Taiwan you can’t modify any vehicle into a camper, it will not pass inspections. You can only buy a camper but can’t register any other vehicle into a camper.

That depends on amount of modifications.

Taking the seats out of the back of a van and throwing in some sleeping and storage arrangements that can be removed if necessary would work.

I think my friend means to turn a van into an entire living quarter, with TV, beds, etc.

My brother converted a car back home into biodiesel. Worked great for a while - then we discovered one issue we hadn’t expected. Cockroaches. Infesting the engine. Not a little. Very disturbing. We got rid of the car.

They also come in via the airconditioning vents. Not cool - especially when you are driving

And then there’s this…

1 Like

I think they made some sort of movie about that.

So did you invite her back to your van?

1 Like

I have a Subaru Forester Limited and money for hotels. That’s pretty awesome too!

I’d be quite happy just napping in a van.

God bless your lower lumbar region.

1 Like

Baby wipes are your friend for keeping things clean. Especially if you’re f******.

According to this girl anyway.

Only rich people own vans these days

2 Likes

eww :nauseated_face: me and my wife lived in a station wagon for months abroad. nothing stopped us from a shower before bed. free and clean. Staying showered and clean was never an issue.

Not to be gross, but on the links topic. penis, vagina (!) and ass get funky quick. I couldn’t imagine van life with someone I have sex with that thinks wet wipes and pee bottles are the way to go :mask:

Drive vans*

they are pretty cheap to buy now :grinning: