Living in a van

I got a friend in Taiwan who is obsessed with those van living thing. He said he wanted to get one of those guys who makes food truck conversion to turn a blue truck into a living space or something.

Is this legal in Taiwan? What are the laws on allowable modification to vehicles?

This guy is a NWOHR who is about to get a ID card.

Sorry, I don’t really have any suggestions for your friend other than: if it turns out to be legal, get a big enough battery pack to run air conditioning. I can’t imagine anything worse than being locked in the back of a blue truck in the middle of August.

6 Likes

Yea I told him about that, he said something about having huge lithium ion batteries and charging them with solar panel. I said maybe if you got a diesel engine you could probably collect old cooking oil from night markets and turn them into biodiesel…

2 Likes

Doesn’t it just get sold downmarket to other nightmarket stalls? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

There are legally modified vehicles for camping/living.

There are foreigners in Taiwan that legally own them.

So must be legal if following appropriate regulations on modifying and registering.

Don’t know the laws. The agency that does vehicle inspections might be a good start.

Fyi

作者:
詢問者 回應於:109-03-07 14:33
你好,想請問一下幾個問題…
1.台灣目前是否能進口自走式的露營車(合法上路)?
1-1.如果車輛進口並合法領了牌照,行照上會註明類似自走式露營車之類的嗎?
2.如果自行將小型貨車改裝內部,能否自監理所變更行照(變成合法上路)?
3.請問相關法規我能去哪裡查詢呢?

回應機關:
交通部公路總局-監理組 回應於:109-03-13 09:39
有關您詢問的問題,說明如次:
一、依據道路交通安全規則第17條第2項規定:「國產及進口之車輛均應符合交通部規定之安全檢驗標準,並應經車輛型式安全檢測及審驗合格,取得安全審驗合格證明書,始得辦理登記、檢驗、領照。」
二、復依交通部103年6月18日交路字第1030406080號函示,國內製(打)造或進口專供露營使用之完成車,申請車輛型式安全審驗,除應符合「車輛型式安全審驗管理辦法」及「車輛安全檢測基準」相關規定外,並應依露營完成車申請車輛型式安全審驗補充作業規定辦理。
三、國內製(打)造或進口專供露營使用之完成車,如取得安全審驗合格證明書,並經檢驗合格核發牌照者,將於行車執照或拖車使用證登列露營車訊息。
以上說明,請您參考。

1 Like

10 Likes

There’s some foreigners such as follow xiaofei guy that have YouTube’s on it. Search. I’ve lived in a van and it was some of the best times of my life , seriously. :grin:
Now travelling temporarily and actually living in one will be a bit different.

2 Likes

http://2home.com.tw/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42929

In Taiwan?

You are an Irish traveller , you should have warned me before I started messing with you :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

No, I would imagine summer could be tough. Up in the mountains would be OK.

Most people prefer the Mitsubishi delica vans over the blue trucks. I own both and c an confirm this. One main point.is the trucks will always leak.eventually, not a hard fix. But their backs are thin and.not insulated, unlike the van bodies. Which are also sealed WAY better. Not just talking water oenetration, but bugs…thats your main issue. If truck is the go, keep in mind you can only own 1 as an individual and you should have a work related reason for owning it on hand at registration time. The truck version w have a planned design to fit on the flat bed with the sides closed. In taiwan you need to register your back setup. The most common.in taiwan are the canvas canopy and crate style. Crate offers no protection, but is open topped. Canvas is enclosed and quite convenient, but I height limit.

My plan is to build a “camper” which can slide into said canopy which avoids the legal hassles, can be removed giving me a truck to use again plus the convenience of those canopies. They arent high end, but damned if they arent amazingly usefull!

Could also buy a box for the back. 2nd hand are cheap and everywhere and are very waterproof and often air tight. Then design within. The 2 problems i see there is that used trucks with abox are often delivery trucks which are driven terrible, harrd and long so probably lots of mechanical issues…or the company wouldnt retire the vehicle. Second, you are stuck.with it, which if you work with flatbeds and related loading, youre screwed.

4 Likes

If you enjoy travel living then vanlife is awesome.

I’ve had it with rent. Saving my money, buying a tiny house, gonna park it on a bluff that overlooks the fierce Pacific. Poor in Taiwan, might as well be happy somewhere else.

Could try something like this as it blends in to Taiwan surroundings nearly anywhere. There are work trucks parked everywhere including near the beach or remote mountain spots.

Could hide vents, fans, a/c below and above.

The back opening is like an instant deck and could lift and store a couple scooters when in transit.

Probably gonna need some type of business registration.

This specific example maybe overkill unless picked up on the cheap.

I lived in vans and trucks in London for a few years. Would probably be impossible now with the current level of parking restriction and video surveillance.

Here the heat would perhaps be unendurable at sea level unless you had spent a lot of time in solitary on Devil’s Island… Battery powered aircon sounds technically implausible, so you’d need an electrical hookup or a generator. Not very stealthy.

Foreigners cannot register commercial vehicles here, which means trucks are for Taiwanese. Lots of mutually contradictory threads on this.

There are unconfirmed rumours that this can be got around by registering the vehicle to a cooperative.

Guy in question is here on TARC and is waiting on ROC ID so he wouldn’t count as foreigner.

Won’t he need an address? Govts generally like to be able to put the finger on you.at will.