Living in an apartment with no kitchen sink - doable?

Why torture yourself.

That would be annoying, don’t forget you need a sink not only to wash dishes but also to prepare the food beforehand, can you see yourself in the bathroom washing your vegetables before cooking? Technically it’s feasible but really inconvenient.

I have survived in such apartment but only for 6 months…in two different places. I also ate alot of easy to prepare stuff and used a slow cooker for many meals. But not many people are like me in that I can eat the same food for lunch or dinner every day for months.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s a Yorkshireman.

1 Like

You mean instant noodles, right?

I had been doing it for years during uni when I was living in a studio apartment 套房. It’s doable, but of course the choice of food that you can make is limited since you are not gonna have much space to store fancy kitchen equipment and most likely just one electric stove.

I am very particular about smell so, although I know it sounds gross, I used to put the stove on a chair in the toilet while cooking with the aspirator running so that it would not affect the rest of the room. As someone suggested above, I would also rinse dishes and pans with the shower faucet towards the toilet bowl before washing them to prevent food pieces from getting trapped in the sink. For those who don’t really care about smell and stains, just buy a cheap foldable table and cook directly in the room.

1 Like

I did the 套房 route for about a year. For me, paying double the rent to have a tiny kitchen is well worth it. My bathroom in the 套房 was one of those shower hose over the toilet things. I too dumped leftover food into the toilet and used the shower hose to wash my dishes. I had better and more sanitary set ups when backpacking in the middle of nowhere. Also, the toilet had to be scrubbed every other day or the oil would build up in the bowl and there’d be a weird mold. Again, really not ideal. No one with a Uni degree and years of work experience making a decent wage should be living like a peasant. If you’re only heating up water for coffee/tea/ instant noodles and washing off chopsticks and mugs, fine. Otherwise, for the sake of sanitation, you need separate facilities for food prep and pooping.

5 Likes

Agree 100%. After a degree and a job I upgraded too and there is no way I am going back to toilet food :rofl:

1 Like