Living in an apartment with no kitchen sink - doable?

Hi:
I’m considering an apartment with no kitchen sink. I do want to cook at least 50% of the time, and plan to make do by getting an small electric stove and using the bathroom sink for food prep. How bad of an idea is this? Anyone doing this already with tips to share?

Bad. Very bad.

14 Likes

I tried this briefly once. The bathroom sink was too small to easily wash the coffee dishes in the mornings, a plate would have been impossible. If you can find a kitchen-sized bathroom sink, preferably located in a separate room from the shitter yet beside the kitchen, that might be doable.

2 Likes
3 Likes

We did it for a year but ate out for almost all of our meals. It is doable but not advisable. Would not want to try if planning on cooking more than occasionally. And forget cooking anything that kicks ought a lot of smoke without a ventilation hood.

3 Likes

Would you also consider an apartment with a kitchen sink?

14 Likes

OP stated 50% minimum!

1 Like

Couldn’t you put the plates in the toilet and then use the flush to rinse them off?

10 Likes

Thanks guys for all the feedback! I’ll be living alone btw. I’m thinking that there are some recipes that will be more feasible than others in my situation, so I’ll stick to those. One pan recipes, salads etc.

Then where would I sit when I washed? And don’t suggest I stand, because then I would have been out from under the shower head!

2 Likes

Not a good idea. It’ll get your bathroom sink grimy. I don’t think its material is made for such oily stuff or food stuff, unlike most stainless steel kitchen sinks are.

Don’t listen to those spoiled brats here.
Of course you can do that.
Get two square plastic containers for the dishes and a nice fridge. Put the cooking stove in front of the window.
If you save like 5000 NTD on rent, use that money for some nice treats like steak, salmon, etc.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if a salad spinner would fit in my bathroom sink.

Think about what you’re doing here: washing off vegetables, then cutting them? Putting dishes somewhere to dry? Taking pasta from the stove to the bathroom to drain it? Dealing with coffee grounds or the little bits of vegetable trimmings or food left on the plate without any kind of a drain trap? Washing a skillet or big pot in a bathroom sink?

Living in Taiwan without a kitchen sink, and eating out almost all the time: feasible and affordable (unlike in many other countries!), although not something I’d want to do. Trying to cook 1-2 times a day without a kitchen sink? Sounds like a nightmare.

1 Like

Spoiled brats?

When I were a lad we dreamed of having a kitchen sink. We used to have to use the bidet to wash our dishes.

3 Likes

You had a bidet but not a sink?

1 Like

Are you a local? Sounds like some pointless suffering to me.

Doesn’t everyone?

It’s all a question of priorities.

Fair enough.

You had a bidet? We used to DREAM of having a bidet to wash in. We had to wash our dishes in the drainage ditch in front of the apartment…

Again, no kitchen may be doable depending on the layout. Dish land in the shower and all that. Our place was a rooftop that was all windows. We had a table with an extendable shelf where we kept water and the microwave and hot plate. We cooked once in a while as a novelty, but I think it would have gotten old fast if we had to rely on cooking at home. Had a good half dozen restaurants within a few minutes walk.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine having no kitchen sink but looking at some of the sidewalk restaurants, they seem to do it. I alao can’t imagine squatting to cut vegetables or no hot water to wash dishes.
It could be done with two buckets. One with hot soapy water and the other with rinse water. Restaurants put a capful of bleach in the rinse water to sanitize.

1 Like