Living in Chiayi

I’ve done much research on Chiayi, and it seems like a nice place to live in Taiwan. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how it is from a person’s perspective, rather than some travel article.

I’ve been in Chiayi for about 11 years. If you like nightlife, it isn’t the place for you. I’ll be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Apparently there’s a turkish restaurant there. I love Turkish food, so I want to try it.

Not much else in Jiayi. Turkey rice. Nice weather. Good people.

A bit more convenient than Tainan, I think. Tainan’s a bigger city, but everything we have here you have there (apart from the pubs…and even then there’s a couple of foreigner places). But you’re one hour away from Taichung, close to Alishan and close to Guanziling. If you wanna go anywhere but Kaohsiung or Tainan, Tainan is not the place to be.

I go to Jaiyi frequently to umpire cricket. The first time was a bit of a shock. I had to walk 2 miles to find a convenience store. I couldn’t find an ATM. If you’re at one of the two pubs late, you have to CALL for a taxi. :astonished:

Sleepy hollow.

I’m not knocking the village, mind. Some of my good friends have friends who know people who live there.

Except for a Costco! :fume:

The best papaya milkshakes in the entire world are made and sold in downtown Jaiyi. Near the circle… right next to the famous chicken rice shop, there is a little hole in the wall place with no signage other than one that indicates the size of their shakes are 500cc. I’ve been buying those papaya shakes since 1985. Sublimely ambrosial perfection in every 500cc cup.

i’ve heard the food is better in the sticks

There’s more to life than turkey rice and papaya milkshakes! :grandpa:

FAR better. Every time I go to Taipei I’m like…‘What’s this? And why is it so expensive?’

Unless it’s Western food. You can get EVERYTHING in Taipei.

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]Tainan’s a bigger city, but everything we have here you have there…

Except for a Costco! :fume:[/quote][/quote]

Oh yeah! But that’s new, so I forgot about it. To be far, you have your pick of Tainan Costco or Taichung Costco.

I don’t post on here much these days and the main reason is that I was viciously ridiculed for my love of Chiayi Turkey Rice (and its variant Chiayi Chicken Rice). Okay, I’m naming names – Sandman! That bastard (and I don’t care if I’m banned) has a pathological hatred of Chiayi. How often have you heard him say anything good about Chiayi? He is a Mocker of all things Chiayi! Bastard!
Ha ha ha - I have the last laugh.
The great thing about Chiayi Turkey Rice is that it has spread throughout the island, as any great food spreads, so you don’t need to actually reside in Chiayi to enjoy its culinary contribution to world culture. You can get Chiayi’s culinary delight from Taipei to Taidong because its deliciousness can not be suppressed. To paraphrase Mel Gibson in Braveheart, FOOD FREEDOM!!

Now, where did I put my bootle, bot, bo, f**k it, my live-giving beverage!

Chiayi county is spectacular, chiayi city ain’t bad in parts either being another old Japanese town.

Pity about the chicken rice.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Jiayi county is spectacular, Jiayi city ain’t bad in parts either being another old Japanese town.

Pity about the chicken rice.[/quote]

TURKEY rice. I suppose they all look the same to you?

You seen any turkeys in Taiwan?

What, you’re suggesting people are marketing it as turkey rice but it’s not really turkey?

So I guess those aren’t really pearls in the milk tea, then???

How about the “convenience” of HSR stations in Jiayi vs. Tainan. A draw, I’d say. Equally inconvenient. The HSR Shuttle as a way of life?
That’s where NewZoo HSR steals the show, sorta… there are signs of life near that station.

Yes.

[quote]In an indication of the growing diversity of export opportunities in Taiwan, Rainbow Valley Turkeys from St Arnaud near Horsham Victoria have secured an important deal selling premium turkey eggs to a grower in the south-western Taiwanese city of Jiayi.

The eggs are then hatched and the turkeys bred for their succulent flesh, before arriving at dining tables in the form of signature Taiwanese dishes such as the local delicacy Jiayi ‘Turkey Meat Rice’.[/quote]

austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor … fault.aspx

But why has no one mentioned that sometime before the end of Ma’s 7th term you will have a branch of the Palace Museum in Chiayi. World class art in a 3rd tier city. Not bad. :thumbsup:

Yes.

[quote]In an indication of the growing diversity of export opportunities in Taiwan, Rainbow Valley Turkeys from St Arnaud near Horsham Victoria have secured an important deal selling premium turkey eggs to a grower in the south-western Taiwanese city of Jiayi.

The eggs are then hatched and the turkeys bred for their succulent flesh, before arriving at dining tables in the form of signature Taiwanese dishes such as the local delicacy Jiayi ‘Turkey Meat Rice’.[/quote]

austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor … fault.aspx[/quote]

You really mean ‘then mixed with bog standard chicken in many establishments before arriving on dinner tables’.

And the question was ‘have you seen any turkeys in Taiwan’?
I have, but only in zoos.

Yes.

austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor … fault.aspx[/quote]

You really mean ‘then mixed with bog standard chicken in many establishments before arriving on dinner tables’.

And the question was ‘have you seen any turkeys in Taiwan’?
I have, but only in zoos.[/quote]

I answered. Yes, I have seen turkeys on farms in Taiwan.

Is there turkey fish rice? Or turkey skin rice? Turkey bone rice? Or, turkey feather rice? :ohreally: :ponder: