Living in Hanoi/Vietnam

Has anyone lived in Vietnam or the Hanoi area?

We came to visit and we’ve move our manufacturing out of China and into places such as Vietnam and korea. In 1 week here we got more done in productive development than a month just being here and seeing everything.

We are thinking of spending 2 months here in the spring to really speed up product development and also spend time in korea for our manufacturing there and also Taiwan setting up our trade office and just visiting as I do miss Taiwan.

Wondering if anyone had any experiences living in Vietnam.

4 Likes

I visited Hanoi a decade ago, but I haven’t lived there. I liked the food and culture (I remember seeing a great water puppet show). I would never live there as the traffic would drive me nuts. It makes Taiwan’s roads look like Sweden. Even crossing the roads as a pedestrian was stressful. I guess two months is doable though. It would start to get to me after much longer though. And like I said, the food is great. Much better than Taiwan’s imo, so it has that going for it. Hanoi also has an interesting French quarter and some nice parks iirc.

7 Likes

I used to travel to Ho Chi Minh regularly and often spent a month or two at a time there. Fantastic city! Very dynamic, great food, constantly evolving.

Hanoi always felt small and slow in comparison.

1 Like

I have visited both for work and tourism quite often. Could easily live in either for a while, like the outdoor coffee culture and restaurants.
Both cities have large industrial bases on the outskirts. Hanoi more the government center than Ho Chi Minh obviously.

2 Likes

I liked both but Hanoi seemed a little more slow (in lifestyle) and standoffish than Ho Chi Min with its buzz.

1 Like

I much prefer HCM to Hanoi. More to do and see, better western restaurants, feels less polluted, chaotic, dirty. Relatively speaking for Vietnam.

1 Like

I will visit Saigon but my manufacturing is near Hanoi so I will have to be there. Also hopefully down time to enjoy the beaches on the weekend

3 Likes

I have to say, the coffee is excellent. They really don’t market their coffee globally well enough. Not many would know they have some of the best in the world.

3 Likes

But I have to say, the pollution is quite terrible. Comparable to Beijing sadly. I think I will need some really good masks going out.

I heard the Hanoi Hilton is really good…

But seriously I saw a video of streets in Vietnam, and it looks just like Taiwan except it’s much dirtier.

And they’re just starting to become richer and a manufacturing hub. Things gonna get a lot worse before they get better.

2 Likes

Da Nang and Hoi An are a nice escape on the coast. Very different than the big cities. Very cheap internal flights. Direct flights to and from Taiwan aswell. I haven’t been to Phu Quoc yet, was hoping to be there now but tourist visas still only 1 month validity.

2 Likes

These are the ones I use: Vietnam – AQblue

I’ve moved from Taipei to Saigon a few months ago but have lived here for 3.5 years before the pandemic… which, if you don’t read the news here (which I don’t), is basically over in your lived day to day experience.

Feel free to ask any questions.

4 Likes

This is great to hear. I’ll be making my fifth or sixth trip to Phu Quoc next week, but I’m also spending a few days in Hoi An. It’s my first time there–I chose that city randomly from an internet search–and I’m glad to hear another positive opinion. I can’t wait.

Sorry OP, not related to your question. But I’m curious to hear your experience if you decide to stay awhile. I’m considering many options when I retire, one of them being spending a few months in Vietnam and going to language school.

@david1 The traffic and constant vendors in your face irritate me in HCM (which is why I always head to Phu Quoc). I’m guessing you eventually don’t get bothered by these things once you’re no longer a tourist?

How was your experience. I’ve only visited. Visiting as tourist is very different than living as you probably know.

I went to Phu Quoc with high expectations and didn’t really like it. I don’t know if I’d go back. Yeah, there are things that are frustrating, I’m sure there are different things for different countries… I hate it here that people basically use up 100% of the footpath for their stores or park motorbikes such that you are forced to actually walk on the road because the footpath is constantly blocked off… like the footpath is only there so they can run their food business and they don’t use part of the footpath, they make sure they use it all. I had a guy honk me on his motorbike yesterday to get out of the way because they were driving down the footpath (road is full), I turned around pointed to the ground, told him its a footpath and if he wants to honk someone, get back on the road, then stood there until he got back on the road. Yes, you eventually get used to it and it doesn’t bug you quite as much.

Like everywhere, it has its good and bad points. Good: you can live a good lifestyle at pretty much any budget. You can find many of the luxuries you had back home, can buy quality products that you’re used to using (though you might have to search for them), for me that would be organic skincare, good quality vegetables etc. There are loads of nice get-aways you can do for the weekend (ride on a motorbike) and flights are cheap domestically, so you can get around the country at a budget price and stay in a good quality hotel or airbnb really cheaply. Taiwan, by comparison is very expensive in that respect, especially if your work is such that you need to travel the same time as everyone else. In Vietnam I can get an OK room most places on the weekend for 300NTD, a good room for 450NTD and 600+ gets me something nice. I can get a flight half way up the country for 800-1000NTD, sometimes more. Which means I can go away for the weekend without breaking the bank. I stayed in a really beautiful hotel room for NYE for 1600 NTD. It was almost 5 star, it would have cost me 7,000NTD+ for the same quality in Taiwan. Before the pandemic I stayed in a $15USD room that would easily be $150 anywhere else in the world. You can’t really do that in Taiwan.

In all, you can have a quality life here. Surprisingly, I prefer Saigon. I loved Hanoi the first time I went there (decades ago), but now, not so much. (The last few times I’ve been there for a holiday, I just want to get out after a few days). I have friends that feel the same: they would never want to live there but are OK with visiting for a short time. Maybe its the vibrancy of HCMC that people like.

On the downside, there’s the bureaucracy you have to deal with in terms of getting things done. For example, my TESOL has my first and surname on it, my passport has my middle name. I’ve just been told I need to pay $50US to get an affidavit to say that its actually the same person, even though there is a photograph of me embedded into the TESOL certificate.

Food wise, its cheap, eating out is cheap unless its international food, in which case its normal priced… so you can eat to any diet. I generally eat at home, I can get organic food that is well priced (I have no idea how much chemicals are put onto conventional vegetables, but I suspect its a lot). My vegetables I buy here are lasting me 2-3 weeks in good condition, which is shocking, compared to everywhere else I’ve lived. Utility bills are similar to Taiwan.

I think the main difference for me is that people in Taiwan are more ‘mature’ and deal with you more in a western way, most of the time… that is, they have standards. Here I ordered a charger here on sale. They apparently tried to contact me by phone and when they couldn’t contact me, they don’t contact me by email, they just cancel the order. Then when I contact them they say, don’t worry, you can put another order on, just it will be at full price (double what I ordered). I didn’t cancel the order, they did, but apparently I shouldn’t be upset about that. So its all that kind of stuff you have to deal with, people urinating in streets against any wall that is there, in parks if they need to go, they just go against a tree (hence you want to be careful where you sit, or, walking down a street with an open wall, often you will smell it)… its kind of like a third world mentality, if you’re on the road you honk someone who is in-front of you to get out of the way, the biggest vehicle simply -takes- the right of way regardless of the law and you there isn’t really a need to follow any kind of road rules. Drunk driving is not uncommon. Many don’t have the same kind of decency you would expect others to behave with.

And then, on the flip side, I found myself out in the rain on a bike whilst on holiday so sheltering under someone’s front drive cover and the guy across the road motions me to come under his fully covered drive, when I don’t, but stay there for 30 minutes, he takes it upon himself to walk up the road in the rain, buy a rain jacket for me which he gave to me. Or you’re traveling in the country and someone is having a wedding and invites you in to have some food/drink.

The other major downside is theft. If you’re carrying valuables you have to be constantly aware of someone trying to steal them, especially in the cities. Pickpocketing is an issue (there was an announcement when I was in Uniqlo last night to be aware of it, but I already was, because its a problem everywhere). If you have your phone out whilst you’re in the street, you have to be 200% aware of everything that is going on around you… it takes a second for someone to do a dive-by and steal your iPhone and there are people out 24/7 cruising the streets with the sole purpose of looking for a victim. I nearly had mine stolen once on the way to work whilst waiting for a bus after it had just started raining. Fortunately, I heard the acceleration of the motorbike so became hyper alert. When I look up, there is a guy driving straight towards with me with his hand extended out in a grip he had clearly practiced, coming for my phone. He then went around the block then came back for a second go. My response was such that he dare not come back a third time or he would have found himself and his motorbike on the road.

If you have your laptop in your bag you have to be constantly aware of who and what is going on around you. The moment you aren’t, there’s a very good chance it will be gone. I lock my backpack up in my home when I leave for more than a few minutes. You just don’t have that in Taiwan. When I first lived in Taiwan (I’d visited many times) and had my phone out using a map on the streets, I would instinctively swivel to protect my phone with my body when I heard a motorbike accelerating nearby… that level of awareness is ingrained in me from having lived everywhere. I constantly need to know where my valuables are and be very aware of what’s happening around me.

I love Taiwan/Taipei, really loved living there, and its an amazing country, but I can also have a good quality of life here. For me, I can save more here if I work a second job and also its a good transport hub with cheap flights anywhere in the region, which is another plus.

Personally, I prefer Taiwan/Taipei, and would happily live there forever, but I could also live and retire here. There are just a few extra things that are abrasive that I have to deal with whilst living here.

For me, there’s a slight cost advantage to being here that enables me to save a lot more money, I can get around super easily (including to my home country), I can have the same quality things I’m used to living with/eating, the weather is relatively predictable (warm hot, hot/wet, and I can take breaks away in high quality accommodation at a very affordable price in a way I couldn’t in Taiwan. The downsides (that mostly don’t exist in Taiwan) are frustrating, but I can deal with them.

10 Likes

Thanks. I saw some of that you’re saying. Even little things like asking the price before you use their services. Learned that mistake once and never again. They seem to always want to ask you for money.

We are based in the UK right now so that’s why we were really considering Hanoi.

1. It’s tax deductible for us to be there for living expenses and accommodation as our main manufacturing partners are near Hanoi.

2. UK is crazy expensive right now and getting closer and closer to 3rd world in how people behave and the entire experience of crime and unpleasantness of life there.

So we can actually save more money. Have tax advantages. And enjoy a “crappy country” that’s at least cheap and interesting unlike the UK where it’s crappy and expensive.

6 Likes

Vietnam is the only place I have been ripped off im the airport (of all places) abd the wife had some cosmetics stolen from our hotel room. Apart from the petty theivery , the chance of getting ripped off on occasion and the traffic and air pollution in big cities it’s pretty enjoyable.
Was in Thailand recently and pleasantly surprised how safe it felt and not many folks out to rip you off. Using Grab is a Godsend. Renting a car also avoids hassles. Can get ok hotel rooms and accomodation for 1000 NTD plus a nite. Might be different when Chinese come back now. Stayed in the amazing Khao Yai national park, whole lodge for a few thousand for the night. Sure would not have been able to book it let alone afford the same place in Taiwan!

The national parks and a lot of activities do charge multiples to foreigners so there is that annoyance but its still affordable. Taiwan thankfully didnt start overcharging foreigners, yet.

3 Likes

Vietnam reminds me of mid 2000s China. Similar energy and explosion of wealth and change and all the madness that comes with it

3 Likes

Honestly a lot of these issues are a major problem in the UK right now. I think I’ve mentioned my car and office have been broken into. I don’t wear anything expensive out anymore and dress Uniqlo stuff (I like that anyways) and nothing designer which I find tacky and stupid anyways to not draw attention. The recent thefts broad daylight in places in London is scary if you’ve seen the news. The police solution is to not wear expensive things out….

UK culture right now feels awful. I feel like if I fell and hurt myself people would look and laugh and record on their phone rather than help me.

It’s not exactly a shit hole compared to Vietnam but it’s way more expensive. At least Vietnam is cheaper and more exciting.

1 Like