Living in Kinmen?

My background:

• British citizen
  • Marriage ARC (with Taiwanese)
  • Live and work in Taipei

I’ve always dreamt of living in Kinmen, but what’s it really like for foreigners?

Are there actual job opportunities for foreigners? What about English teaching?

If someone who lives in Kinmen can share their experience, I would be grateful.

Fyi

According to NIA statistics, there are 3 traders, 2 engineers, 6 teachers, 2 missionaries, 916 foreign labors, 72 others, 8 un-employed, 43 inactive persons (maybe most are spouses of residents), and 1 kid on ARC, as well as about 300 naturalized spouses and 11 APRC holders from Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, New Zealand, UK, and US.

2 Likes

What type of job would you be giving up in Taipei?
Why have you dreamt of living in Kinmen?
Where is your wife from?

If I were to live there, I would buy a place (not rent), because it is so close to China. Maybe even open up a BnB catering to both Taiwanese and mainlanders.

Can you send a link to those statistics? Seems interesting.

Wife is Taiwanese, and would only be giving up an English teaching job, but I also have an online business on the side which generates decent profits.

The current latest one is here.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1352321&ctNode=29699&mp=1

Foreigners on ARC
外僑居留人數統計表

Foreign spouses
外籍配偶人數與大陸(含港澳)配偶人數按證件分

2 Likes

Never thought about it until now but it might be interesting to live in Kinmen and have an open visa to visit China.

I wonder how often anyone that lives in Kinman Taiwanese or foreigners travel back and forth to China.

For naturalised citizens, I suppose it would be quite easy with a taibaozheng.

I’m British and enquired about a multiple entry tourist visa, but had no positive response.

Aren’t visas now mostly like 5 or 10 years and not counting entrees? Couple travel agents in Taiwan said 10 years is standard for Americans anyway. I asked how many entries and they told me it normally just comes back as a time period not a number of entries. Seems to match other sources.

They told me it was harder for British, and you need to have loads of stuff, like previous business visas for the mainland.