Living in Nantou?

I keep changing my mind whether I want to stay or go. One day I’m thinking “Yeah, I think I can do it. It will be good for me”, the next I read a bad story here or have my own bad experience and feel I just want to go home. Paralyzed by indecision.

But anyway it seems I have the opportunity to teach in Nantou, specifically a small town close to Nantou city. So I’m wondering if anyone knows much about what it’s like there?

I have stayed with a friends family in a different town once and it seemed fairly comfy. I suppose it’s not too far from Taichung either. I imagine being surrounded by mountains, with a scooter, could be fun.

However being the only white fella around might not be so much. I’m not at all outgoing, and have been struggling to make friends so I worry it might be worse for me.

I knew a teacher in Puli once and he absolutely loved it there, the waterfalls, the freedom, he had a local gf which may have helped …They lived at the bottom of a betelnut farm talk about going local.
It could be as good or as bad as you make it but you are going to have to put yourself out there a bit. You could join a local church, find out where the other foreigners hang out (there’s usually one place), make friends with some Thais or other foreign labourers or join a football or basketball team, get into cycling or motorbiking …

1 Like

Yeah you definitely make some good points. And I really ought to be going to church…
There is at least an English mass there so that’s a little promising. I wonder how big the foreigner population is there.

Search Facebook and see if you can get any ideas…Check Taichung info exchange first ?

The countryside is so much better. But it can be the worst part of taiwan if you marry into the local family and live in the same village. I think its worth it so long as there is separation from traditional family.