Living in Xindian

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]There are several attractive communities off Ankang Rd.

A year or so back they started to market the development of a really big one, the name of which I can’t remember precisely, except that it features the words “sea” and “green”. My wife and I were interested by the ads, so we went to take a look with the parents-in-law and a couple of the wife’s siblings. The development looked like it would be pretty good, even if rather densely crowded, with a mix of semi-detached bieshus and a few apartment blocks, and pretty good amenities such as gym, pool, and so on (that are absolutely de rigeur these days).

We were interested only in the bieshus (houses), and after spending a lot of time looking at the showroom, models and plans, we found one that suited our requirements really well. It was located at what would be the quietest far corner of the development, in a semi-detached block of four (one on each corner) in a cul-de-sac, had four well-appointed floors above ground, a garage underground (in a communal car park), around 50 ping of floor space plus 20-something ping of garden. We negotiated what I considered was a very reasonable price of about NT$8.5 million, and said we would make our decision after thinking about it for a while.

We had two main misgivings that made us hesitate about buying: (1) The construction had not even begun – the only thing on the site was the showroom, and bulldozers were still at work shaping the landscape ready for construction to start. I can’t help being reluctant to commit myself to buying a property that still doesn’t exist, even though the developer was (according to my knowledgeable inlaws) one of the most reputable in Taiwan (which doesn’t necessarily say a lot). (2) Ankang Road, the only artery connecting the community with the city, is an absolutely terrible road that gets horribly clogged with traffic (it’s one of the names you hear most often if you listen to the traffic reports on the Chinese radio stations, and strikes me as being one of the most dangerous roads I’ve ever been on here). The people marketing the place assured us that plans had been approved to build a wide new road running past the community and directly into the heart of downtown Taipei, and kept stressing that it would be just a 20-minute journey to 101, but I’m always highly sceptical about claims like that.

So after giving it some thought, we decided not to follow up on it. Interestingly, the marketing people didn’t bother to contact us (as they often do), indicating that the places there were selling very well and so they didn’t need to chase after customers. There was certainly a big crowd of prospective buyers there when we visited, and quite a lot of them appeared to be signing contracts of purchase. We’ve since heard that they did, indeed, sell very quickly, and the prices have already risen quite substantially – which makes us regret that we didn’t buy, as we could at least have been in line to make a tidy profit from reselling if we’d decided against making it our home.

I haven’t been out that way since then, but I’m quite curious as to how the development looks, as it must be close to completion by now (I’ve seen more ads, but they’re for phase two of the development). If they really do build that new road, it could be quite a nice place to live, and might be worth checking out for places to rent if that’s what you’re after (a lot of people buy into developments like that as investments, and put them up for rent as soon as they’re built, so there’d probably be a fair choice of places there available for renting).[/quote]

They are actually building that road right now.

Went looking around the Xiaobitan MRt station again today. Beautiful day with a wonderful breeze out there, so although very hot, it was not too uncomfortable. The area between MRT and Tesco is quite nice and not run down. Also went to the super huge community on Huan He Road and Xi Yuan Road. Very nice place but nothing available now.

Went into the Ankang area again, and think I will give that up unless there is something near the main road.

Is Xiaobitan considered Xindian? Or is it considered a separate suburb? I thought it was just an MRT station until I started looking around the area. Perhaps it is a bit late for this question.

Yes, it’s part of Xindian for sure. I’d even consider it ‘downtown’ Xindian.

I don’t know how common the use of ‘Xiao Bitan’ for the area is, but it predates the MRT station, as there is a Xiao Bitan Park on the map (one of the riverside parks).

The main communtity there is Zhongyang Community on the streets of Zhongyang Rd (Zhongyang 1st, 2nd 3rd Streets etc). I haven’t really looked around there, but understand that it’s considered somewhat upmarket when compared to general downtown Xindian.

I can see that the advantages of living there would include somewhere presumably comparatively nice and clean, yet still cheaper than Taipei City, MRT convenience, being right next to an MRT and easy access to the riverside parks and cycle paths. What I don’t really like about it (and this is just personal preference of course) is it’s perhaps too close to the noise of Huanhe Expressway, and the fact that for me if moving out there I’d prefer somewhere I can have a house with some nicer scenery.

Omniloquacious, your post was interesting. I thinkt he community you refer to is one of the ones up quite high ont he hill off Anshang (sp?) Rd. There’s a lot of new developments upt here now ith more still being built. What you describe certainly sounds like good value for the area, but I can also understand your reluctance to buy. Personally we decided against that group partly because we preferred the older community feel of Taipei Xiaocheng and also becuase the proposed future MRT line will go past Taipei Xiaocheng, but not those communtities up on the hill. That should help with future property values. Yes, Ankang Rd is pretty awful, but having ridden it many times now, it’s easy to get used to, and as someone pointed out, the new road (which seems to go through to Zhonghe) is under construction, and I guess that it will halve the traffic.

Brian

Bri, is your new place off Ankeng on the left heading out before you reach the freeway entrance or after it? If its before we’ll practically be neighbours.

Where is Taipei Xiaocheng?

After, but I guess we’ll still be more or less neighbours. You don’t live up in the big posh Taipei Huacheng do you?

Off Ankang Rd Sec 2 on the left. You have to go past the main shops area and turn left at the second gas station. I forget the name of the Rd. Green 2 bus from Taipei City Hall if you wanted to take a look, but you won’t find any houses to rent by looking around - you’d have to find something online or with an agency first. Also I don’t think it wold suit you looking for a 2 bedroom place. It’s all townhosues. If you wanted a small apartment, one of the other communties would be better for you. Also if you’re dependent on public transport and don’t like the idea of a 15 minute bus ride to get to the MRT station, the Xiao Bitan area you were looking at might be better. There’s also aprtments around Bitan (not Xiao - Xindian MRT Station) that might be nice. Personally I like Bitan.

Brian

No no, I live right beside the Lake View hotel (the one with the big green and yellow neon sign) on your left as you cross the bridge.

We escaped the snobbery in Tien Mu and just bought a new flat in this area west of the station. It’s called Jung Yang Xin Tsuen (New Village). This development was where KMT built new 2 floor garden homes for high government officials back in the early 50’s following their flight from China.

Many of those homes have been re-developed into 5 floor flats, so they have lost some of the flavor. Old timers tell of days with lots of black Cadillacs in the village but thankfully they are gone. But the area is one of the few that have tree lined sidewalks and street parking. Although most of the new developments have parking garages.

There is also a pedestrian bridge over the Huang He Expressway that connect the village to the riverside park where people fish, ride bikes, walk their dogs, play tennis, basketball, enjoy the community pool, and practice at the golf driving range. Very kids safe.

The Ankeng exit from the #3 Freeway empties onto Jung Yang Road, site of the new Xiaobitan MRT station. Walk through the village 15 minutes west and you end up at the New Spa Buildings development where Tesco is located.

Bus 909 and 906 to Tung Hwa Rd. and the airport. Behind the Xindian High School and MRT station is San Ming Rd. Here are a bunch of restaurants and shops including the only store I know that specializes in sells baking utensils and ingredients along with baking classes. Also a very nice area with tree lined sidewalks and parking.

Rentals here are hard to come by because, well, it rocks. Its more convenient and connected than the New Garden Park development up in the hills. Closer than Ankeng without having to ride into town. The view is excellent here.

Sorry it’s taken me so long to notice this and related posts. Did you buy? Have you moved in? If so, hiya neighbor! I’ve been renting up here for a few years now

Hiya. Yep. Bought. Moved. Been here over a month now. I liek it up here.

The traffic is bearable, becuase I take the back road to work in the morning. 30-40mins from Taipei Xiaocheng to my work at Youth Park in Wanhua, Taipei. Actually the backroad through Ankeng is fine. It’s the stretch on the expressway from the Xiulang Bridge to the offramp leading to Jilong Rd that is the logjam. But tomorrow is my last day of morning work in the city anyway. It’ll be just downthe road on scooter fro me after New Year. The commute to and from my afternoon job in Yonghhe is fine, and I don’t care so much in the afternoon. I think the new road is supposed to open in August of this year. Slow progress, but they’r definitely working on it.

El Jefe, the Zhongyang Communtiy is pretty nice, if not quite my cup of tea. I’d only want it if I could have one of those independent houses behind the larger complexes, facing out towards those open fields. I noticed them going for about 15M for 40 pings. Not cheap at all. Access to the riverside park, the freeway and expressway, nice restaurants, nice streets, MRT with loads of parking etc are all good. I just feel sorry for those with apartments ont he 2nd/3rd/4th floors of the complex which houses Tesco. By the end of the year they’re going to have an expressway offramp running right past their windows.

Brian

I was wondering if anyone has any information about these developments now(10+ years later)? Xindian and the Bitan area is interesting to us. Are there.any developments somewhat similar to Lotus Hill (where we lived previously) in the area?

There are developments in Ankang on the back of Ankeng and also on the hills around Xindian that are a little similar to lotus hill, but I dont think there is any real equivalent to lotus hill and most are certainly not as convenient. I wouldn’t move to Taipei area if I was retiring or semi retiring .

I know that Taipei doesn’t seem to be the greatest choice in Taiwan for “retiring” (I don’t really think of myself as retiring as much as just working much less ). But we need certain things for our son, including the youth after school programs at TAS for socializing, etc ( we will be homeschooling), and we KNOW Taipei, so it is an easy move. I think once the lad is done school, we can re-evaluate.

Fair enough. Options are limited for a period. TAS is far from Xindian. Why not move back to Lotus Hill for a few years ?
Tamshui has a lot of relatively cheap but new places too.

if it is not some programs on weekends but after school programs, Xindian is not very realistic. How about somewhere between TAS and Danshui?

We are definitely considering Lotus Hill again. I was mostly thinking Xindian because it is a straight line to TAS on the MRT.

Remember that we will be homeschooling, so the time is not a huge issue. That being said, Tamsui is a possibility, as is something between Tamsui and Tianmu.

Really, at this point we are considering pretty much anywhere that has access to nature, is far enough outside of Taipei to be a bit quiet, close enough to still be accessible to Taipei, but also have some amenities like Lotus Hill (pool, etc).

We will be in Taipei at the beginning of March for about a week, so we wanted to check out some areas that previously were unknown to us, but could still be good. (We lived previously in the mountains in Neihu and Lotus Hill {as well as Shida, Wanhua, and Jingmei areas, but those are much more urban}).

I really appreciate the input so far. Any other suggestions?

From Xindian, it takes at least 90min to TAS by MRT. It may depend on the age of your son, but for me 3 hrs both ways are a bit too much.

It is a bit far, true. Per the MRT website, it is 35mins between Xindian Station and Zhishan. Add 5 min wait time, another 10 to switch trains/ wait for transfer, then 10 more for the bus to TAS is a total of 55 mins, say an hour each way. You are right though, it is still far.