Living on the cheap in Taipei - hack/tips

w…t…f… selling soap from a temple on ebay…[/quote]
:smiley:

Thats some really great tips out here! Thank you so much! I will compile my list and will share soon as well with you :slight_smile:

Find a girlfriens who hates nightlife and enjoys the outdoors.

Stop drinking alcool.

These tw alone will cut tens of thousands ntd from your expenses.

1. If you’re in Taipei, you don’t have to buy garbage bags as long as you put all your trash in a small enough plastic and put them in one of the nearly full ones that are placed on the collection spot early. You just have to do this everyday so your trash doesn’t get too big.
  2. If you go to the traditional markets near noon or just after noon, they put up most of the vegetables on sale. They’re going to wilt anyway by the next day. I think prices are slashed in half on Sundays.
  3. Learn to use PPS. They have free movies. Don’t ask me. I don’t know how to either. But apparently, the quality is excellent.
  4. In the past, Sushi Express would sell their food at a discount after 9 pm. I’m not sure now.
  5. If you’re saving on transport, you’d wear out your shoes more. Chungli has the best branded sports shoe bargains. Eat while you’re there. Food is cheaper than in Taipei.
  6. Tofu, mushroom (golden, not the fancy stuff), cabbage and rice. After a while, your taste buds will appreciate the subtle taste of all of these.
  7. S-Mart has a discount for members on Thursdays and their prices are generally cheaper.
  8. Sweet potatoes are very filling and cheap. Just one bad side effect…
  9. If you use the bus and MRT within 2 hours of each other, you get a discount.
  10. There’s a second hand flea market every weekend at Tienmu square. More bargains the later it gets. Do get there when there’s enough daytime light to first check items out for damages, stains, etc.
  11. Someone once suggested to buy a big bientang (local bento box) and eat half for dinner and half for lunch.
  12. If you go to Carrefour in Tienmu, there’s a ramen restaurant at the second floor that lets you refill the noodle and soup all you want. It’s not all that and it costs 160 NT at least but yeah, it’s there.
  13. Short mid-day nap and coffee shop feeling…go to Ikea. Lots of people sleep on the couches and they don’t seem to mind. Their ice cream on cone is super cheap too.
  14. If you see sugared donuts by a street vendor, try those. They’re quite filling. Not bad to try from time to time.

[quote=“manila”]1. If you’re in Taipei, you don’t have to buy garbage bags as long as you put all your trash in a small enough plastic and put them in one of the nearly full ones that are placed on the collection spot early. You just have to do this everyday so your trash doesn’t get too big. [/quote]The blue garbage bags from 7-11 are already so cheap and can last you months. :neutral: