Living outside Taipei for a month (Rent car, live random places)

I am in between apartments (in Taipei) and have a bit of an angst to leave Taipei for few days.

Thinking about whether it would be a good idea to rent a car and leave Taipei for a while, and then come back and look for a place.

May be live out at Airbnbs or Minsu for few weeks. (for this discussion, let’s assume work and finances are not a factor.)

However, I am not sure if this can be done in a healthy manner (both physically and mentally). I try to eat healthy (cook often). Probably not practical to cook in above lifestyle. Also, don’t know about workouts on the road.

Has anyone done something like this? Any thoughts or pointers (for places etc) would be welcome. I am a single male - if that has any bearing on above.

Thanks

You should be able to cook at hostels and Airbnbs if you book a place with a kitchen. This lady has been doing it for 3 years.

1 Like

any place with a kitchen and a nearby supermarket will do. Unless you plan on camping, airbnb should be good enough.

1 Like

I don’t like camping. Do like nature. But need quiet indoors to get any sleep.

Honestly, if you have a couple of weeks and you want to clear your head, just pack your bag and get on with it. Thinking so much about it means you’re already stressing, don’t worry to much about the food and exercise 2 weeks won’t kill you. You can go to the gym when you’re back (you can always work out in a park), you can find a cheep place to get your head down for the night anywhere, and if you find something nice you can splash out and treat yourself.

A car is convenient but not necessary, public transport adds another layer to your journey its Taiwan not the Serengeti.

7 Likes

Do you still have to go to Taipei for work? I would suggest renting a place in Yilan near Waiao beach or something and chill, surf and swim everyday.

No. World will survive without me showing up to an office for few weeks (or longer).

Conjugal love farm in Lalashan at the Dagunshan nature park
CONJUGAL LOVE B&B - LA LA MOUNTAIN - Prices & Reviews (Taoyuan, Taiwan) (tripadvisor.com)

1 Like

I had to do a double take when I saw the name, but looks very nice! Would consider it!

Please send any other such recommendations!

thanks

The food is also really good and healthy!

I did this for a month on the East coast in Summer, and had an amazing time. Truly life changing. Taipei is alright, but coming back here was like coming down to Kansas after being in Oz. I remember the grey cloud of psychic smog that I felt when the train rolled into the capital. Don’t want to gripe, cos I like my job… but I miss the East cost a lot.

• I slept on the beach.
  • Workouts can be bodyweight. Pushups, squats. Or use 5 liter water bottles/beachstones. Holding out a 5 liter water bottle for 2-5 minutes should be challenging enough for even Brian Shaw.
  • You can cook with an alcohol/kerosene/oil stove, if you know what you’re doing (which I didn’t back then). It’ll heat water in 5-25 minutes, which is fine for most noodles, and even a hot shower. I might leave the kerosene at home if I go, as a spill can destroy clothes. Alcohol or oil (wrapped in 5 plastic bags) is less dangerous.

I wrote about my experiences here:

Tips:

• Take protein, so you don’t have to go to Familymart or a restaurant every meal. My trip would’ve been much easier if I had some protein powder, barleygrass, nuts etc. I used the opportunity to eat less carbs, and lose some fat. If I did it again, I’d focus on protein with less carbs. Fruit and green leafy veg are easy to buy and prepare on the road. You can cook digua ye in 3 minutes. Taking some ginger, pepper and chili helped.

The only things you can’t cook on the road are things which need a rolling boil for 30 minutes. That is hard for a little alcohol stove, but might be alright with gas.

Protein/nuts/beans/steak with Green leaves, chili, goji and limes might be a good road meal. That’s 5 minutes cooking.

• Carrying a prop (drumsticks/electric guitar/plastic judges hammer) makes it 10x easier for people to approach and talk to you. I met a lot of people.
  • You could try couchsurfing or the language exchange groups to make friends, but street life outside Taipei is 3-5x more social and friendly.
  • There’s a hostel at YanLiao, 20-30 minutes out of Hualien city, which is kind of fun. I think its called Ocean View. Seven Star beach, 10 minutes from Hualien city center is also well worth visiting.

Outside Taipei, the Wild Green Yonder begins.

Enjoy.

6 Likes

How about taking it slow in the beginning if you’re a bit worried?

Just take the HSR to Kaohsiung and stay in an AirBnb there for maybe two weeks and take your time to get used to the differences to Taipei?

If you feel „adventurous“ and less angsty then, you can venture in territories without High-Speed-Rails which only have busses or are actually only reachable by car or scooter :wink:

1 Like

Or stay in Pingtung. Try the infamous P-bike to stroll around the city, before it will be phased out for standard Youbike 2.0.

1 Like

What did P-bike do to garner infamy!? :smiley:

Try it. Elsr u have no chance when youbike replace them.

1 Like

How about LA?

@tw4

How did it go living outside Taipei for a month?

1 Like

It was great. Spent time on the east coast. Clean air, Clear mind.

4 Likes

My wife and I took our dog and did this in Fenglin for the month of May in 2021. We rented an Airbnb, drove our car so we could take our bicycles/stuff easily and I worked remotely from there. I enjoyed it, I also enjoyed being back home in Taipei when it was over. Should probably do it again. I can’t do the “live off the grid” thing, but I enjoyed the slower pace there.

2 Likes

Didn’t know where Fenglin was until I read your note. Do you recommend that area? Why did you pick it - because of availability of a nice Airbnb?

1 Like