Living Overseas on a Dime - Noel's channel

The newest video is up, mostly about my investment approach and how we got to being able to retire at this point:

2 Likes

Nice one!
Happy retirement!

1 Like

Here is our most recent video where Jenny and her helper Cole talk about saving money through being frugal and tips for shopping at thrift stores.

1 Like

Our video for this week has me talking about whether or not the stock market will crash … Zombies included.

1 Like

You say Stock Market Crash. I say Stock Market Sale!

Bargains bargains bargains!

1 Like

I agree, unless you are fully in draw down mode. I said something along those lines later in the video.

1 Like

I had a lot of fun filming that video, the intro especially … Maybe I missed my calling; George Clooney look out!

Here is our most recent video where Jenny talks about travel clothing and the different things to think about when packing for travelling.

2 Likes

Here is our most recent video (the first of three), where I discuss countries where you can live and retire for under $1000 US per month. Finally I am starting with some content I am very interested in.

6 Likes

Have you figured out your travel plans next year? Wanna DM me? We are doing Mexico Feb-Apr.

@projectmaximus

DM sent.

Our newest video where I discuss 2 more countries where you can retire/live for under $1000 USD a month.

3 Likes

My most recent video on retiring on the cheap:

1 Like

OK Noel when are you putting the pedal to the metal and getting the hell out of dodge :grin:

2 Likes

Tasmania is an option. I have a friend who moved there from Oregon and thinks it’s the best.

1 Like

It’s like Irish people moving to New Zealand.
What’s the point except to end up somewhere even more remote. :grin:
Actually Tasmania is on my list to visit but is absolutely not a good place to do travel on the cheap.

Might be surprised. My friend works remotely and is going on his twelfth year there now.

Born in Sydney, Australia, and a city girl, I travelled to Canada in my youth for an adventure and ended up married to a Canadian whom I met in Vancouver, BC. I thought he was a City man, but I soon discovered I had met an EscapeArtist . At every opportunity we were escaping our city jobs and going camping and trout fishing in lakes in the wilderness outside the city, or taking off in our sailboat to the Islands in the Gulf of Georgia.

Now forty-plus years later we find ourselves on a 50-acre hobby farm near Fingal in the South Esk Valley in North Eastern Tasmania. We tried city living in Brisbane, Queensland, but to escape the noise and to find fresh air, a lack of traffic, unspoiled and empty beaches, and relatively cheap living, we moved to Tasmania.

Being a resident part pensioner here means we have very little in the way of health care costs. All attention from the local doctor and hospital is free, as is ambulance transport. There is little cost with medications. Our property tax rates are about $1200 per annum, and apart from electricity and gas there is no other major outlay except fuel for the vehicles if one wishes to travel to the city of Launceston which is 120 km distant. . . .

Coming to Tasmania has meant for us a return to a simple life in a small and welcoming community, where people appreciate newcomers who admire their land and lifestyle, and who are willing to join in and make a contribution. The friendliness and helpfulness of the people has been the one major factor that has made a success of our ultimate “escape.”

1 Like

Strict visas, very high costs…Nah.

1 Like

Do you lay out a thorough budget in any of these videos? My experience with most of the videos on YouTube claiming really low retirement costs is that they are leaving out some very basic things in their calculations-- like healthcare, clothing, toiletries, transportation, even minimal entertainment/socializing, occasional travel, emergency fund, furniture, electronics repair/replacement, etc. Often times they are just adding up their rent, utilities, phone bill, and groceries and calling that their monthly expenses.

I’m talking about this whole genre of videos in general, not just yours specifically. If you have one where you get into budgeting I’d love to start with that one.

1 Like

I plan to do that when we are actually travelling. Otherwise, it would be basically looking at websites (some apartment/real estate, others and the dreaded numbeo), and while it would be informative for some, it is somewhat ingenuine, imo. I think that waiting until we are actually travelling is more useful in that it will give a real life, boots on the ground budget, including those extras you just don’t think about!

These videos have been primarily introductions to locations where it is possible to live for these prices, as well as the visas for retirement that are available.

I touch on the health insurance elephant in the most recent video at the end; but I personally think that Americans generally over estimate (and over emphasize) health insurance in general. This is understandable with the sky high costs for care in the U.S… But really, in most of the world you can self insure for a fraction of the cost of US health insurance premiums, and the care is for the most part, on par for what you get in the U.S… Not that we are going to self insure - we have a modest plan that will provide decent coverage for most of the world for around $150 a month total for the three of us.

2 Likes