Living the dream

I didn’t read it, but when I see a headline saying they are retired I take it they are not working.

Otherwise what the fuck (excuse my French) does retired mean ?

It seems like there’s no right answer to your question. If I say “sitting on my ass waiting to die” you’ll say: what’s the point of that? If I say “having a good time, and earning some money when I feel like it”, you’ll say: hah, see, you’re not really retired.

Actually 65k is how much they live off
It says they have 100k taxable income still, but that could be income from investments rather than work, still.

So rich bastard lives off millions USD savings is the correct headline ?

Or still working and not really retired but freelancing and living off millions of savings ?

Doesn’t have quite the same viral meme ring to it…

1 Like

I do agree they were a bit evasive on exactly how they get their funds. The implication is that they have $1m+ in the bank, or in investments. So it’s entirely possible they’re getting a substantial amount of money from (say) dividend-bearing stock. 3-6% would be doable. There are other methods, such as peer-to-peer lending, which pay out much more and don’t carry high risks.

If you read the article, the central point is that they made a concerted effort to become rich bastards instead of pissing their money away on the latest car, iPhone, or whatnot. They didn’t just inherit their money from rich parents.

1 Like

Why sigh? It’s boring, and always traveling is also not an ideal life.

who was it that said a “half truth is a whole lie” ?

1 Like

Sounds like icon just wants a few months of doing nothing without worrying about going broke. After working for a while, it was a nice feeling taking the summer off without worrying about costs seeings another country.

Don’t know about you but just the stuff I need to do around the house will take years…

Last great vacation was my trip to Vancouver. 3 weeks of awesomeness.

I usually go out of the country for a few days once a year but it would be nice say go to Europe, a long stay kind of thing.

It’s pretty expensive. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without having places to stay there.

Not doing anything is only boring if you do nothing. My dad retired at 50 and goes and climbs mountains and skiing expeditions once a month around the world. He trains for it on this time off. It’s not so bad if you do something you wanted to do but couldn’t while working full time.

Your dad is a smart man. Mine is not. He is getting in everyone’s nerves. He retired quite early with no plans. Kept himself busy with my little brother as he was still in school. Kept himself busy until recently with his grandchildren. But now he is bugging the cleaning lady by rewashing what she has washed, among other feats. His wife on the other hand goes to the gym, has computer lessons -ain’t working though- , travels, takes care of her elderly mother, and keeps up with family gossip. Dad won’t travel because he fears plane travel.

This. There’s so much I want to read, to watch, to listen to, to cook, to eat; so many hiking trails and bicycle routes I want to try - never mind all the traveling! Filling my time without working would be no problem at all. But a surprisingly large number of people have trouble structuring their time without a work schedule.

Retirement would be somewhat annoying in Taiwan I guess, because I’d also like to do more volunteering, but the language barrier (my fault!) would make that difficult here. Then again, perhaps I’d finally make the time to learn the language.

4 Likes

Retire and go study the language, at your own time.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to sound rude, but do [Forumosans] not know Chinese as they live there? I had the impression most did.

Oh…, I feel a poll coming on.

1 Like

Many did, some failed! It’s not easy if you don’t really immerse yourself. And age is a factor, brains tend to become less ‘spongy’.

I dunno. My brain is turning into one of those sponges you find wedged behind the plumbing when you do a bathroom refit.

1 Like