Living the dream

Sigh. Retired at 30.

1 Like

30s, not 30.

Some people retire to Malaysia in late 30s and 40s. Coming from Australia or UK. They have some retirement program. Your money goes a long way in Malaysia from those countries.

Sounds like a great idea. You should consider doing this! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wakakaka

No thanks. I rather work a soul crushing job slaving as a corporate share cropper until 65 living check to check than live in this god forsaken country.

Who wants to retire at 30? Then do what for half a century until you shuffle off? What a boring ass life. Not to mention meaningless. Instead of craving super-early retirement, just do a job you enjoy. People are unhappy because they think they need to stay at jobs they hate, not because they really want to never work again. It sounds fun in theory, but whenever I’m unemployed for more than 3 months I go nuts… not because I’m broke, but because I get so restless I start to lose it.

We share very similar sentiments.

I realize this idea of stagnancy is a real plague of a mentality especially amongst Americans. At least in my view, most people denounce putting in necessary efforts to change their career paths or work more enjoyable jobs simply because it is easier to do so. Comfortability (or lack thereof) becomes complacency, even in the most ironic of cases.

1 Like

Well, I work a job I hate so I can save for retirement. I cannot rely on people or government to support me when I am old and can’t work. So I envy people who can kick it back earlier.

I do have a lot of plans for when I have more time. I haven’t had a 3 months gap ever , can’t afford it, I have always started the next job the day after leaving the last.

It is easier if you are from a developed country and spend your money in a developing one. Dollar usually goes very far. This couple is also quite young and healthy, though I would expect kid expenses to be higher.

What I really want to know is how the Heck they got 200 USD airline tickets US to Taiwan. Takes me 70k to get to the old country.

I skimmed trough the article, and something doesn’t add up.

They were making a combined income of 165k/year prior to retiring and now they are making 65k/ year. How can they save in 16 years working enough to make 65k/year in retirement for the next 70 years ?

I suspect they are not retired at all, but do some freelance gigs

Probably used air miles

It’s the usual bollocks, don’t believe this stuff.

They do it by hacking credit card rewards systems, but to do that you have to spend a lot to begin with.

They clearly have some sort of income, presumably from contract work, which is fairly easy to pick up in the tech sector. Two people could earn $65K in 3-4 months.

Retirement doesn’t necessarily mean doing nothing. I’m not exactly “living the dream”, but I’m pretty close to it. I “work” for roughly six months of the year doing a job I basically enjoy. I have a whole bunch of side projects that are never going to make me rich, but bring in a bit of pocket money. I have an oversized passport that’s already down to the last couple of empty pages. It does take a bit of thought, planning, and good luck, but I think it’s something that’s within reach of most people.

Not knowing what you want to do with your life is the main cause of stagnation, not lots of free time per se..

1 Like

Don’t believe these Instagram stories mostly a pack of lies and half truths.

1 Like

Investments. Compound interest goes a long way.

2 Likes

Sure, but they would need to save in excess of 50% of their pre tax income for 16 years to get 65k/year

Although possible, unlikely

They might be embellishing a bit (I mean, they clearly don’t get tickets to Europe for $200 all the time) but I see nothing there that doesn’t add up. My point was, it’s pretty much what I do. In other words, even if they personally might be stretching the truth, it’s not technically impossible to live like that.

They are hiding the very major fact that they are still working. Also what about incidental expenses ?

No they’re not. They said they’re still earning 65K a year, which IMO would be about right for a family of three. Why does their story become invalid if they get their money by working as opposed to robbing banks?