Living with Taiwanese family - cultural differences

Precisely !

Vell, then, I will zhust have to fahrt in your zheneral direxion, English pigdog. Your mahther was a homster, ant your fazzer smelt of elderberrys.

Doctor Evil , where is he when you need him ?

Yes im a stickler on that. I hate it when people come to my house and keep their shoes on ! Pisses me off. Also do NOT sit on my pillow. That pisses me off too.

In fact everything and anything you do (or dont do) could piss me off , this way we are covered on all bases :laughing:[/quote]
How am I supposed to fart into your pillow if I don’t sit on it? Sheesh.[/quote]

Hold the pillow up to your butt. Much more polite.

Dinner is the time the family takes a leasurly meal. Chat about the days events and linger over food. NOT!

Thought that is the perfect western idea of a family meal it is not the Taiwanese. People tell me that it is just polite to get the eating over with. Eat, don’t rush, but don’t linger. That’s done over friut, in front of the TV.

Just in case it is BS what I’m saying, here is some supporting evidence.
My Chinese teacher spent time in Germany as an exchange student. In Taiwan you may be taught the language, but not the culture. She kept wondering why her host father kept asking her questions while she was eating. She felt a little annoyed too at first.

I’ve seen people scolded for talking in my family. But you are a paid guest and not a family member. Just be aware how different people do things. It’s interesting. If anyone can give a rational to this quick eating please share it. Most people can’t give me a reason to my satisfaction.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Dinner is the time the family takes a leasurly meal. Chat about the days events and linger over food. NOT!

Thought that is the perfect western idea of a family meal it is not the Taiwanese. People tell me that it is just polite to get the eating over with. Eat, don’t rush, but don’t linger. That’s done over friut, in front of the TV.

Just in case it is BS what I’m saying, here is some supporting evidence.
My Chinese teacher spent time in Germany as an exchange student. In Taiwan you may be taught the language, but not the culture. She kept wondering why her host father kept asking her questions while she was eating. She felt a little annoyed too at first.

I’ve seen people scolded for talking in my family. But you are a paid guest and not a family member. Just be aware how different people do things. It’s interesting. If anyone can give a rational to this quick eating please share it. Most people can’t give me a reason to my satisfaction.[/quote]

I haven’t had the same experiences as you. The family I am around talks while eating and will eat fruit pretty much anytime. We talk during lunch at my office, too…

About living with a Taiwanese family. I have spent some days at my wife’s parent’s house in Hualian and how I deal with the food there is to not eat anything they cook. This started unintentionally the first day I was there. In fact, I’ve never even tried anything they’ve cooked. The reason being is I saw the oily food sitting out in bowels for hours before dinner. I don’t know when the food was cooked but I found it totally disguising. I didn’t tell them this, of course; they just think I can’t get use to Taiwanese food. And that’s easy for them to understand: the last thing they would want to eat is a hamburger. My wife knows why I don’t eat the food, though, but she doesn’t care much…And the nice thing about Taiwan, is there is almost always a 7 11 or something near by; in fact, there is a great pasta place close to where I stay in Hualian. It’s about time I head back there and get some :lick:

Be aware that bathrooms tend to be wet all the time …

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Dinner is the time the family takes a leasurly meal. Chat about the days events and linger over food. NOT!

…[/quote]

True, people eat … fast … members of the family come in and pick-up some food and disappear to their spot of comfort … but hey I didn’t mind, I got the good parts for me, just for me … but they bought it anyways for me, huge shrimp, crab, lobster … :laughing:

Yes, for some years we did not even have a bathtub. You take a shower right on the bathroom floor. Many families still don’t have tubs or are getting rid of theirs.

Even though we now have tubs, we don’t bother with the shower curtain anymore.
Too much freaking mildew.

This topic was brought up a few times in “Let’s Talk in English” a Taiwanese language learning magazine. Apparently many Taiwanese go abroad and forget about the shower curtain. I’ve seen this before, In Isreal where we would just squeegee the whole bathroom.

Don’t forget. DON’T PUT THE TOILET PAPER IN THE TOILET. Fold it neatly and put it in the garbage can sitting next to the toilet.

archylgp, that’s too bad. Unless your wife really thinks that her parent’s are lousy cooks, it is worth a try. She survived. Yes, I really had to suspend several beliefs I had about food safety and hygiene but I saw everyone doing it and I just tried.

I love Taiwanese Food! My mother in law, may she rest in peace, made a special effort to include me. I have a deadly seafood allergy. She would make a special effort to include me by taking my portion out of the pot before she’d add the fish seasoning. She would then continue cooking my portion with the vegetarian equivalent of that sauce or leave it as is.

If your in-laws are really that lousy in the cooking department, you should still try other people’s home cooking. Now, where are my chicken feet!

Why?

Why?[/quote]

You don’t know? Should we tell him the truth. Can he handle the truth…

There are a number of threads dedicated to this subject.
Do research…
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … ilet+paper](Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?
I read that thread and did not find very good reasons why. Here’s what I am told by family. It seems to be true.

1. Pipes are bad and gets blocked very easily.
  2. If you have city sewers, more than likely what goes down the toilet will show up at the beach. Sewage in many towns is untreated.
  3. If you have a septic tank, it is so pitifully small, you will be getting a terrible “rest room” smell in your garage/car port and will have to call the honey wagon.

Let’s not forget the Japanese toilet! It’s slowly disappearing now, thank goodness. It’s a toilet that you have to stand over and squat. Foreigners were know for falling in. When I first came here, that was the only style of toilet available in public restrooms. I would never go outside my home for many years…

ryanmizuno.com/blog/wp-content/u … G_0776.jpg

And while talking bathroom talk… I should tell you that. If you think you are making Number 1, you are really making Number 2 here in Taiwan.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with that?
A stitch in nine saves time.
:smiling_imp:

Rolling used toilet paper and putting it into garbage can souds scary, it’s not really hygienic if you ask me …
how about night time ? In our favovire Lp’s guide there is info that taiwanese like to stay up

[quote=“spock”]Rolling used toilet paper and putting it into garbage can souds scary, it’s not really hygienic if you ask me …
how about night time ? In our favovire Lp’s guide there is info that taiwanese like to stay up[/quote]

If possible put it in the bin with sh*t showing prominently … :roflmao:

I don’t think it’s necessary to put your used bog roll in a bin in Taipei. I don’t know anyone who does it.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]
Let’s not forget the Japanese toilet! It’s slowly disappearing now, thank goodness. It’s a toilet that you have to stand over and squat. Foreigners were know for falling in. When I first came here, that was the only style of toilet available in public restrooms. I would never go outside my home for many years…[/quote]

Ah, yes, the Japanese Toilet.
:loco:
What are you on about?
Surely you mean the common East Asian squat toilet?
Saviour of many an early Sunday morning stout fuelled session?

Don’t get me wrong, I like a fair throne session as well, but it is surely much more natural to squat. With the right kind of tech, we could really imagine we were out there in the woods. Better not take too long, though. Hounds be about!

Ah, the succulence!
:scooby: