Local (Chinese) teachers of English in Taiwan

A few questions about Chinese teachers of English in Taiwan:

1. What types of certification are required for local (i.e. Chinese) English teachers in public schools, bushibans, and other institutions?

2. Which universities offer TESOL degrees or certificates for local English teachers?

3. If someone already has a bachelor’s degree, how does he/she go about getting TESOL certification in Taiwan?

4. If a local teacher wants to improve his/her skills, where can he/she go to get additional training in Taiwan?

5. Is there a need for TESOL training courses for local teachers in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. For buxibans, they just need to be able trick parents who speak less English than they do. For public schools, they usually need proof of relevant coursework.
  2. Many do, but many also do them through online courses.
  3. Google is your friend.
  4. There are native Anglophones who speak far better English than any Taiwanese English instructor whom I’ve ever met, even that famous one on TV (you know, the goofy guy with the underbite who talks like a Texan, if Texas were relocated to Tainan?).
  5. For buxibans, there isn’t. FFS, they hire college students to do those jobs sometimes. How well do you figure the average Taiwanese college sophomore speaks English?

[quote=“tie-pay”]A few questions about Chinese teachers of English in Taiwan:

1. What types of certification are required for local (i.e. Chinese) English teachers in public schools, buxibans, and other institutions?

2. Which universities offer TESOL degrees or certificates for local English teachers?

3. If someone already has a bachelor’s degree, how does he/she go about getting TESOL certification in Taiwan?

4. If a local teacher wants to improve his/her skills, where can he/she go to get additional training in Taiwan?

5. Is there a need for TESOL training courses for local teachers in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]

1. Usually a proper teaching certificate from the government to work in a public school. For other schools like buxibans, it depends on what they want as a school but there is no requirement.
  2. Many of them. You can search the uni websites for that.
  3. You would have to do it online or you can do something like the Cambridge TKT (google it for more info or PM me).
  4. PM me or prep for something like the TKT, Cambridge does seminars twice a year which are free and a few other organizations do that as well. Sometimes they have book-sales as a focus, but you can still learn things.
  5. It depends on where you want to work and what you want to earn.