Local-style simple steam cooking electric pot

Some of my coworkers use this kind of machine to cook their lunch in a bento-like metal box. It looks cool. Like an air fryer, but cheap and effective.

It looks like it uses steam mostly, so they pour water in with the food. Sometimes cover it completely or in the case of dumplings, let the steam indirectly circulate. Most of them look like they only have one lever or button to start it, and it turns off after a while.

The air fryer can make more different things like fries, but I don’t really care about that. Mainly I think of buying chicken cuts, seasoning them a bit, and cooking it like this. I don’t think I’m ready to buy the whole chicken from a butcher, but that looks interesting too.

The main trouble I anticipate is that it might take more than one lever-push operation to cook chicken. Especially if the meat is cut too thick. It might only be intended for dumplings or the bento. Seems like the rice inside was already cooked and the machine just warms it sometimes.

The famous Tatung pot?

I used to cook chicken for sick kitties there, huge success - Much trilling ensued. Simply put water in the outer pot. place whole frozen or fresh chicken breasts in a bowl, place the bowl on the “sieve” insert directly into the outer pot (inner pot not used). Turn on, wait for “clack!”, done.

The above recipe does get quite dry, though, the way I did it (and at the same time yields a great chicken stock in the bowl). My point is the chicken surely gets fully cooked, even thick big pieces. Probably by adjusting the cooking time (water amount) you can optimize it not to overcook.

1 Like

Whoa. Yes. And there are thousands of recipes for this, awesome.
Thanks. Yeah, this post is kind of a waste in this case.

1 Like