Locating Western OTC medications?

Hi,

I’d like to know the best sources of Western over-the-counter (OTC) medications in Taipei? I am aware of Watsons and the CosMed(?) drug stores.

What I’m looking for in particular:

1. Nyquil

2. Antihistimines (like “Actifed”)

3. Decongestants (like “Sudafed”)

4. Acetaminophen (like “Tylenol”)

5. Ranitidine (like “Zantac”; or cimitidine like “Tagamet”)

Of course, generics are fine as long as I can tell what they are.

In general, are most people here getting their medicines such as these from their home countries (mailed in periodically) or just finding substitutes locally?

Thanks,

Seeker4

Try the Shanghai Pharmacy on Hengyang St, not far from 228 Park. It’s the best I’ve ever seen.

Write down the actual ingredients of your medication, and they can probably find something similar in their little book.

Brian

Haven’t made it to the Shanghai Pharmacy yet, but I did locate another place that seems to have quite a few Western OTC items, including acetaminophen (although pricey):

CANDA International Drugstore
37 Zhong Cheng Rd., Sec 1
Taipei City
Phone: 2835-9919

They are located in Tien Mu, not too far from the intersection of Zhong Shan N. Rd. and Zhong Cheng Rd.

Seeker4

You can get a lot of OTC medicines from the small family-run pharmacies in my experience. Just write down what it is you need and they will help you.

[quote=“seeker4”]Hi,

I’d like to know the best sources of Western over-the-counter (OTC) medications in Taipei? I am aware of Watsons and the CosMed(?) drug stores.

What I’m looking for in particular:

1. Nyquil

2. Antihistimines (like “Actifed”)

3. Decongestants (like “Sudafed”)

4. Acetaminophen (like “Tylenol”)

5. Ranitidine (like “Zantac”; or cimitidine like “Tagamet”)

Of course, generics are fine as long as I can tell what they are.

In general, are most people here getting their medicines such as these from their home countries (mailed in periodically) or just finding substitutes locally?

Thanks,

Seeker4[/quote]

1. No Nyquil here, but the Chinese knockoffs (look for the one in the blue box, with three (or one? can’t remember) red umbrellas. Down one bottle of that and drift away with no sniffles.

2. Ask for it at the pharmacy. They have the non-drowsy kinds as well. No prescription needed.

3. Ask for Pseudoephedrine at the pharmacy.

4. Panadol at Watson’s. Check for caffeine on any pain relievers you buy.

5. Pharmacy. Shanghai is always a safe bet.