London Underground Attack-Discussion

Yes, the ones that were quickly forgotten:

August 24, 2004, southwestern Russia (bombing of two passenger aircraft)
Mai 29, 2004, Saudi-Arabia
November 15 and 20, Istanbul, Turkey
May 16, 2003, Casablanca, Marokko
May 12, 2003, Riad, Saudi-Arabia
November 28, 2002, Mombasa, Kenya
April 11, 2002, Djerba, Tunesia

Attacks before September 11 are not listed here.

I agree.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]jdsmith,
You must have been far away from me. We had an upsurgence of hate crimes in backwoods Texas. I was in South Texas at the time in a little town called San Marcos and while San Marcos had little crimes, the smaller towns near by had many. And many of the little convienience stores closed down.[/quote]

I was here.

Let’s not get distracted shall we? :slight_smile:

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]

I agree.[/quote]

We should find that list too. They are and have always been connected.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“hypermegaglobal”]

I agree.[/quote]

We should find that list too. They are and have always been connected.[/quote]
I don’t believe all terrorist attacks are connected. Although many may be, not all. Many of theses organisations have entirely different objectives.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]jdsmith,
You must have been far away from me. We had an upsurgence of hate crimes in backwoods Texas. I was in South Texas at the time in a little town called San Marcos and while San Marcos had little crimes, the smaller towns near by had many. And many of the little convienience stores closed down.[/quote]Suchafob -
Sorry, San Marcos is neither in the backwood or in south Texas.
Its between Kyle & New Braunfels on 81 and is in the middle of the state.
While it may not be a huge metropolis, being on the ain roag from Austin to San Antonio it gets a lot of traffic.
I have been there may times and it is not a hole in the wall.

For that you might try Kingsville, Benevidas or Falfurrias… :slight_smile:

[quote=“truant”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“hypermegaglobal”]

I agree.[/quote]

I don’t believe all terrorist attacks are connected. Although many may be, just not all. Many of theses organisations have entirely different objectives.[/quote]

I’m sorry Truant, but when one looks at the list of terrorist attacks that have occurred in the last 40 years, a few things stick out…like methodology. Objectives differ…sure. I’m not talking about Muslims terrorists alone, but the IRA and the Spanish Basque Separatists and others in Asia…terrorism is terrorism to me.

Randomly attacking non-combatant civilian targets is against the rules.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“SuchAFob”]jdsmith,
You must have been far away from me. We had an upsurgence of hate crimes in backwoods Texas. I was in South Texas at the time in a little town called San Marcos and while San Marcos had little crimes, the smaller towns near by had many. And many of the little convienience stores closed down.[/quote]Suchafob -
Sorry, San Marcos is neither in the backwood or in south Texas.
Its between Kyle & New Braunfels on 81 and is in the middle of the state.
While it may not be a huge metropolis, being on the ain roag from Austin to San Antonio it gets a lot of traffic.
I have been there may times and it is not a hole in the wall.

For that you might try Kingsville, Benevidas or Falfurrias… :slight_smile:[/quote]

If you will reread, I said the crimes happened in backwoods texas… in the small towns surrounding San Marcos (not in San Marcos itself). Tha towns around San Marcos are most deffinately backwoods Texas.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“truant”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“hypermegaglobal”]

I agree.[/quote]

I don’t believe all terrorist attacks are connected. Although many may be, just not all. Many of theses organisations have entirely different objectives.[/quote]

I’m sorry Truant, but when one looks at the list of terrorist attacks that have occurred in the last 40 years, a few things stick out…like methodology. Objectives differ…sure. I’m not talking about Muslims terrorists alone, but the IRA and the Spanish Basque Separatists and others in Asia…terrorism is terrorism to me.

Randomly attacking non-combatant civilian targets is against the rules.[/quote]
sure. but how are they all ‘connected’? Because they all kill innocent civilians?

[quote=“truant”]

[[quote]b]Randomly attacking non-combatant civilian targets is against the rules.[/b][/quote]

Sure. but how are they all ‘connected’? Because they all kill innocent civilians?[/quote]

Yup. Isn’t that enough??? When there are so many political and legal avenues to take, why must the ignorant refuse to educate themselves? Why devolve into fanatic killing organizations?

The IRA going “legit” set the wrong precedent. Now every moron with a fanatic dream and a gun or bomb thinks “If I kill enough people, I can become a politician.”

Sorry, I’m livid and it’s hard to be thoughful. My apologies.

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Sorry, I’m livid and it’s hard to be thoughful. My apologies.[/quote]

let’s discuss this later.

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]Yes, the ones that were quickly forgotten:

August 24, 2004, southwestern Russia (bombing of two passenger aircraft)
Mai 29, 2004, Saudi-Arabia
November 15 and 20, Istanbul, Turkey
May 16, 2003, Casablanca, Marokko
May 12, 2003, Riad, Saudi-Arabia
November 28, 2002, Mombasa, Kenya
April 11, 2002, Djerba, Tunesia

I agree.[/quote]

I tried to find a complete list of terrorism in the UK but it will take a while to compile. Here’s a brief article from the BBC in 2001 : news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1201738.stm. This is just a summary or all IRA atrocities in the UK.

This is a list of terrorist acts in London between 1973 and 1996 (24 acts). That does not include terrorist acts in other parts of the UK.

Terrorism was a part of life in the UK, particularly England and Northern Island, and todays events have brought back a lot of bad memories for a lot of people.

It seems to me that the the history of Terrorism in the UK has passed most of the rest of the world by…

AP: Al Qaeda in Iraq says it has killed Egypt’s top envoy in Iraq

Any bets on whether or not the UK will pull out of or reduce its presence in Iraq like Spain did? I think the odds are slim to none.

Here’s a question: What if Paris had been given the 2012 Olympics? Is this attack at all related to the Olympics announcement? That would be interesting if teams were ready in NY, Paris and London to bomb whichever city got the 2012 Olympics.

My list was only about severe attacs by islamic terrorists (or attributed to islamic terrorists) since September 11 which jdsmith didn’t mention.

I agree with Roach terrorism has (or had) been very much a part of life in the UK and in many other European countries, too! I remember how some friends from the US were shocked to see cops with MPs on the airport in Frankfurt when visiting years before 9/11.

Anyhow, maybe this discussion should be continued in a seperate thread.

Believe it or not, a Taiwanese friend of mine who is currently in London had been in New York on September 11, 2001, too. I feel really sorry for her. :frowning:

a list of the modern age of Islamic terrorism:

mudvillegazette.com/archives/000327.html

[quote]

September 5, 1972: Eight Palestinian “Black September” terrorists seized 11 Israeli athletes in the Olympic Village in Munich, West Germany. In a bungled rescue attempt by West German authorities, nine of the hostages and five terrorists were killed.

March 2, 1973: U.S. Ambassador to Sudan Cleo A. Noel and other diplomats were assassinated at the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Khartoum by members of the Black September organization.

June 27, 1976: Members of the Baader-Meinhof Group and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine seized an Air France airliner and its 258 passengers. They forced the plane to land in Uganda,where on July 3 Israeli commandos successfully rescued the passengers.

November 4, 1979: After President Carter agreed to admit the Shah of Iran into the U.S., Iranian radicals seized the U.S. embassy in Tehran and took 66 American diplomats hostage. Thirteen hostages were soon released, but the remaining 53 were held until their release on January 20, 1981.

October 6, 1981: Soldiers who were secretly members of the Takfir Wal-Hajira sect attacked and killed Egyptian President Anwar Sadat during a troop review.

September 14, 1982: Lebanese Prime Minister Bashir Gemayel was assassinated by a car bomb parked outside his party’s Beirut headquarters.

April 18, 1983: Sixty-three people, including the CIA’s Middle East director, were killed, and 120 were injured in a 400-pound suicide truck-bomb attack on the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon. The Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.

October 23, 1983: Simultaneous suicide truck-bomb attacks were made on American and French compounds in Beirut, Lebanon. A 12,000-pound bomb destroyed the U.S. compound, killing 242 Americans, while 58 French troops were killed when a 400-pound device destroyed a French base. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.

March 16, 1984: The Islamic Jihad kidnapped and later murdered Political Officer William Buckley in Beirut, Lebanon. Other U.S. citizens not connected to the U.S. Government were seized over a succeeding 2-year period.

June 14, 1985: A Trans-World Airlines flight was hijacked en route to Rome from Athens by two Lebanese Hizballah terrorists and forced to fly to Beirut. The eight crew members and 145 passengers were held for 17 days, during which one American hostage, a U.S. Navy sailor, was murdered. After being flown twice to Algiers, the aircraft was returned to Beirut after Israel released 435 Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners.

October 7, 1985: Four Palestinian Liberation Front terrorists seized the Italian cruise liner Achille Lauro in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, taking more than 700 hostages. One U.S. passenger was murdered before the Egyptian Government offered the terrorists safe haven in return for the hostages’ freedom. Years later the leader of the hijackers would be discovered in Baghdad following the liberation of Iraq.

November 23, 1985: An EgyptAir airplane bound from Athens to Malta and carrying several U.S. citizens was hijacked by the Abu Nidal Group.

March 30, 1986: A Palestinian splinter group detonated a bomb as TWA Flight 840 approached Athens Airport, killing four U.S. citizens.

April 5, 1986: Two U.S. soldiers were killed, and 79 American servicemen were injured in a Libyan bomb attack on a nightclub in West Berlin, Germany. In retaliation, U.S. military jets bombed targets in and around Tripoli and Benghazi.

February 17, 1988: U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. W. Higgins was kidnapped and murdered by the Iranian-backed Hizballah group while serving with the United Nations Truce Supervisory Organization in southern Lebanon.

December 21, 1988: Pan American Airlines Flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, by a bomb believed to have been placed on the aircraft in Frankfurt, West Germany, by Libyan terrorists. All 259 people on board were killed.

January 18-19, 1991: Iraqi agents planted bombs at the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia’s home residence and at the USIS library in Manila.

February 26, 1993: The World Trade Center in New York City was badly damaged when a car bomb planted by Islamic terrorists explodes in an underground garage. The bomb left six people dead and 1,000 injured. The men carrying out the attack were followers of Umar Abd al-Rahman, an Egyptian cleric who preached in the New York City area.

April 14, 1993: The Iraqi intelligence service attempted to assassinate former U.S. President George Bush during a visit to Kuwait. In retaliation, the U.S. launched a cruise missile attack 2 months later on the Iraqi capital Baghdad.

March 8, 1995: Two unidentified gunmen killed two U.S. diplomats and wounded a third in Karachi, Pakistan.

November 13, 1995: The Islamic Movement of Change planted a bomb in a Riyadh military compound that killed one U.S. citizen, several foreign national employees of the U.S. Government, and more than 40 others.

June 25, 1996: A fuel truck carrying a bomb exploded outside the U.S. military’s Khobar Towers housing facility in Dhahran, killing 19 U.S. military personnel and wounding 515 persons, including 240 U.S. personnel. Several groups claimed responsibility for the attack.

February 23, 1997: A Palestinian gunman opened fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland, and France before turning the gun on himself. A handwritten note carried by the gunman claimed this was a punishment attack against the “enemies of Palestine.”

August 7, 1998: A bomb exploded at the rear entrance of the U.S. embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, killing 12 U.S. citizens, 32 Foreign Service Nationals (FSNs), and 247 Kenyan citizens. About 5,000 Kenyans, six U.S. citizens, and 13 FSNs were injured. The U.S. embassy building sustained extensive structural damage. Almost simultaneously, a bomb detonated outside the U.S. embassy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, killing seven FSNs and three Tanzanian citizens, and injuring one U.S. citizen and 76 Tanzanians. The explosion caused major structural damage to the U.S. embassy facility. The U.S. Government held Usama Bin Ladin responsible.

October 12, 2000: In Aden, Yemen, a small dingy carrying explosives rammed the destroyer U.S.S. Cole, killing 17 sailors and injuring 39 others. Supporters of Usama Bin Ladin were suspected.

September 11, 2001: Two hijacked airliners crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Soon thereafter, the Pentagon was struck by a third hijacked plane. A fourth hijacked plane, suspected to be bound for a high-profile target in Washington, crashed into a field in southern Pennsylvania. More than 5,000 U.S. citizens and other nationals were killed as a result of these acts[/quote]

Not that these folks were the only terrorists in the world throughout this period.

Methinks you are right…

I’m watching CNN right now and they are now acknowledging, at least some of, the IRA’s earlier atrocities and perhaps why Lononer’s are a little less freaked about it than everyone would expect…

Methinks you are right…

I’m watching CNN right now and they are now acknowledging, at least some of, the IRA’s earlier atrocities and perhaps why Lononer’s are a little less freaked about it than everyone would expect…[/quote]

which is not reassuring in any way really…

I’ve been watching CNN for the past hour. A clergyman was checking the area. He wouldn’t say whether he was Protestant or Catholic. Due to the whodunnit situation who can blame him? Not forgetting that attacks are non-demoninational and non-discriminating in who gets killed.

No. I’m a skeptical optimist. But things like this, and the world wide web, makes me wait and see how deep it goes…

911 was devastating to me personally…I would hate to see a prolonged coordinated attack occur.