Lonely Planet Blog Entry about Taiwan

Proletariat Chips - tickling Taiwanese taste-buds
Posted Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 7:00 PM by Lonely Planet

Joshua Samuel Brown is on the road researching Lanyu (or Orchard Island) for the Taiwan guide…
“I found this revolutionary era artwork adorning, of all things, chip bags at a 7-11 shop in Penghu. I haven’t seen this brand anywhere else in Taiwan, and can’t imagine that the overtly communist Chinese style would be a big seller amongst the betel-nut chewing ‘us-or-them-independence-or-die’ crowd. My friend Catwalk tells me that this kind of art wasn’t unusual in Taiwan in the 1950s, but I like to think that the chip company is using this archipelago halfway between Taiwan and the Mainland as a petri dish for this lovely bit of cross-strait artistic, commercial cross-pollination.”

Makes your regulation chips’ packaging look kind of, well, regular.

Um, I’ve seen these bags of chips all over Taiwan, and definitely in Taipei–not just in Penghu.

Joshua, you think too much. Penghu as “a petri dish”?

lonelyplanet.com/blogs/trave … anese.html

He’s a pillock. 7-11 is 7-11 all over Taiwan. I have a bag of the digua ones on my desk as we speak. So to speak. They’re not bad. I suppose he’s just looking for an angle. I DO hope that little nugget makes it into the guide though.

Did forumosa make it into TLP?

Nice looking packaging.

[quote=“kelake”]Nice looking packaging.[/quote]Very cool packaging. I posted about these a couple of months ago when I saw them in the 7-11.
The snacks are pretty tasty as well.

Another example of people letting their imaginations run wild rather than checking the facts. A quick Google search turns this article from ETTODAY that says that the designs are drawn from Taiwanese movie posters from the 1940s and 1950s. The marketing concept is to exploit the Taike phenomenon with nostalgia imagery like this. Not only President Foods not using Penghu as a “petri dish for this lovely bit of cross-strait artistic, commercial cross-pollination,” there is also no “artistic, commercial cross-pollination” going on either. What complete nonsense.

Excellent! I hope the stinky fart king (臭屁王) gets his own chips! That’d be awsome.I’ve not seen the lad’s work for quite sometime!

HG

LP is wrong… from my blog:

In it was mentioned that there was a nearby assent one could make right there in Kenting the peak was called “Dajianshan”. img400.imageshack.us/img400/5316/dsc07578ng5.jpg
Guess what-the Peak climb was closed in fact it was a punishable offense to hike it.no the newest Lonely Planet had absolutely no clue of this critical factoid. Never the less, I would still recommend the Lonely Planet Books as they seem the most relevant to the budget traveler

Um, isn’t it Orchid Island, not “Orchard” Island?

It will but with the caveat that the fine folks at Forumosa caught the error before it ended up being published in book form. :notworthy:

Thank you fine people. :laughing:

BTW, Isuldur, things do change, and quickly in Taiwan because of typhoons, earthquakes, etc. The mountain was open 3 years ago. In fact, Kenting Park’s own website still does not mention that it is closed, either.

dang i never even knew you could climb that , and now its closed? why? OH i guess some legislator fell off it or something?

You can climb it - just bring a compass as the trail is sort of non-trailish I did not bring compass water or fear thus I was misplaced when I decided to follow a creek which did not hit a road - then decided I not back track and bush whack it - I got out though but not before I was quite torn and thirsty it is all on my very silly blog below…

COOL blogs