Long term care for when we are old

for those of us that will retire and eventually die here. what are your plans for long term care for old age? in case you become old and frail , what will you do?
rely on your kids? pay out of pocket for care taker / nursing home? do you have any insurance for long term care?
any recommendations for long term care insurance will be welcome. i couldnt find any relevant offer, the closest thing was to buy life insurance with a disability rider.

2 Likes

Told my children to set up personal long-term caregiver at home here if for whatever reason I become an invalid. It’ll be out of pocket for me and the missus, but others may have input about buying long-term care insurance and what the costs are.
As for the kids, they better help out as best as possible, else they don’t get the assets, ha ha.
Jesting aside, I know they’ll do good by us.
Will be set up here in the south, too, where we live.

5 Likes

"I remember my father’s last words to me- he said “Son, what are you doing with that pillow?” "

9 Likes

I plan to be a ward of the state

4 Likes

I dont have great expectations to be honest. I am here for the lack of winters while im “young”. I would probably rather assited suicide than the old folks home here.

Do the right thing and have lots of kids that you will force to take care of you in old age.

2 Likes

Oy vey . So pay now, or pay later. Is that what youre trying to say?

Hehe. I would trust children i raised to love and care far sooner than a government i suppose. Sometimes the old ways have their merrits.

2 Likes

:rofl:

You can pay never and dump them at Ama’s house every day for 18 years.

Win win! Grandparents pay now and kids pay later. #WINNING!

4 Likes

Lol. Ya if i was a derranged heroin addict i would leave my children with my inlaws as well. But im not so i wont ha ha. There is a reason i choose my housing based on the opposite side oft the island as my better halfs family. God that sounds terrible, but we all think it!

If i have 10 kids 8 better have strong backs and 2 better great dexterity, at least in their hands. For 16 years, the start at 2

1 Like

Relying on our kids? the "strawberry generation"that’s easily bruised? Forget it. I’d be lucky if my kid will be half independent after 18. Foreign caretakers are a crapshoot. You might get someone devoted and committed or a person who takes your money and run. Best to rely on yourself. Stay active and healthy and save up. I bought an annuity some years ago and look forward to collecting after I turn 60.

Unless you’re already in your 60s and 70s, your kids aren’t part of the socalled ‘strawberry generation’.

Or are we using this term like Millennial as a synonym for young people to disparage all young people?

And remember. These socalled ‘strawberries’ are in their thirties and forties now.

2 Likes

My sad understanding is that many of us long-term foreigners in Taiwan are ill-prepared for this aspect of old age

Personally i’m researching insurance options, but still havent found something suitable for my needs.

2 Likes

Good question. I had to google that as I’ve always used “strawberry generation” to describe just young people in general. This is what I found:

Strawberry generation (Chinese: 草莓族; pinyin: CǎomĂ©i zĂș ; or è‰èŽ“äž–ä»Ł; cǎomĂ©i shĂŹdĂ i )[1] is a Chinese-language neologism for Taiwanese people born from 1990s onwards (corresponding to the Western Millennials and Generation Z) who “bruise easily” like strawberries

I guess you’re right. My kid is definitely not a strawberry. Thank god!

2 Likes

Money and gold.

My plan is to live independently until I can’t, and then just die in a field somewhere.

My girlfriend, though, has just signed up for an insurance thing which will cover professional care and associated medical expenses if she gets alzheimer’s or some other debilitating disease. Apparently it’s also sort of automated – care homes etc will be able to bill the policy account directly, so her daughter won’t have to deal with it. It’s pretty expensive, though – about NT$12k/mo, if I remember. If that sounds appealing, I can find out where she got it.

4 Likes

NT$12k/month currently, or when the Alzheimers/dementia takes place?

If you have name of insurer, people can probably due their own due diligence.

Currently. It’s the premium. I can ask her later who it’s from.

Yes pls, the name of the company and of the Policy will be a big help.

Okay, the general term for that kind of policy is é•·æœŸç…§éĄ§ç”‚èș«äżéšȘ. My girlfriend got it from ć—ć±±äșșćŁœ and the specific policy she got is called ć—ć±±äșșćŁœæșąè·Żç›žćźˆé•·æœŸç…§éĄ§ç”‚èș«äżéšȘ.

6 Likes

Related but slightly different: how foreign residents are for the most part not eligible for disability benefits in Taiwan. The exception here are Japanese citizens, as Japan and Taiwan set up some kind of bilateral agreement to cover this sort of thing.

Our exclusion from such benefits has caught the attention of organizations such as Crossroads (I admit I am not familiar with their work) as shown in this moving and excellent report from Louise Watt at Taiwan Plus:

https://twitter.com/taiwanplusnews/status/1676573676018495490

This situation needs to change.

Guy

8 Likes