Looking for a job teaching English to Uni students/Adults

Just starting to teach English in Taiwan, and looking to teach adults/uni students. Previously worked at a university writing center for half a year editing essays, dissertations, research papers and resume/CV/job application drafts. Tutored English at an ESL institute for half a year with young-adults, covering intermediate-advanced English speaking and reading. I’ve got a BA in English, minor in game dev. with an 140-hour TEFL cert.

My concern is that I was born in Taiwan – i.e. non-white, no foreign passport – and in my early 20’s with no experience teaching a large class (only one-on-one settings, four-six students at most). So far the jobs I’ve seen on tealit and 1111 have been for children/HS students.

Does anyone here have experience with university language centres, or advice on landing a job near what I’m looking for?

2 Likes

Woah…! Sorry I know I’m a year late but I saw your background and your username and I just had to finally sign up after months of browsing-only and reply.

But I really just wanted to make friends and also ask how you went and how you’re finding it all, if you’d be so kind as to share!

I was born in Taiwan too, non-white, no foreign passport (yet, mostly due to pure procrastination), in my early 20’s and no experiecne teaching a large class. And I’ve been haunted by the idea of teaching English in Taiwan for a long time now, which is what got me started browsing places like Forumosa and r/tefl on reddit.
See why I had to respond to your post? :joy:

I am doing an in-person TESOL course, nearly finished. I’ve only ever done one-on-one private tutoring though, plus small class kids stuff (non-English related). Your experiences is looking pretty impressive!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m also quite late. But having seen your comments, I decided to sign up just to reply - lol - because this is very similar to my situation. I hope that you guys are still around and can provide an update on how you’re going.

I’m also non-white and can blend easily with locals in any East-Asian country. But I’m actually from Australia and a native English-speaker. In fact, I’m hoping to go to Taiwan to learn Mandarin. English-teaching will be my way of supporting myself financially.

Like OP, I prefer teaching adults because it best suits my background. I have a PhD and have 7 years’ university teaching/research experience. I will be doing a CELTA course in April and hope to be able to get a teaching gig in Taiwan shortly after.

Please let me know how you’ve gone with your job-search :slightly_smiling_face:

Kevin