Looking for a place to rent in Nantou City/Caotun

Hi I am looking for an apartment in or around Nantou City, any ideas where I could find information about what is available? I can’t seem to find anything on any of the websites I’ve looked at?

Thanks

What websites have you looked at?

Google 591 rent nantou

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Aside from 591 another good way is to rock up to the neighborhood you want to live in, and look at various bulletin boards (physical ones, not online) in the community, around walls and utility poles. Some landlords will post up rental this way, possibly because they’re old and don’t like using websites.

Much better chance of not running into agents that will charge half month’s rent on top of whatever you have to pay to secure a place.

Requires considerably more Chinese competency than google translating 591, and it sounds like op is new here. But is an option.

You think the landlord is going to speak any English?

Going to need help regardless. If an agent can provide that then it’s worth paying I guess.

A helper also ensures he doesn’t get charged a foreigner tax.

Made it this far into finding a place, and figured out enough of 591, I can’t contact anybody without a number though, no emails etc? Does nobody have an english-friendly agent they can recommend?

Get a Line account

Is this in Nantou City?

You could just go to a local telecom service (ala 中華電信) and get a prepaid card? That’d be my recommendation. And from there I think you could get line set up – might be able to without it, I don’t recall. Been to long.

As far as the prepaid card goes, assuming English isn’t an option

我想要一個儲值卡

If you need to find prepaid plans for whatever local provider is available – I assume you’ve got a Chunghwa Telecom but – you can look up the name of it and add 儲值, which should get you what you need.

Options for that are here. Can just show them what you want and they’ll figure it out for you :sweat_smile:

From there, it’s just a hop skip and a jump to Line, through which –if I recall correctly – most landlords will be accessible. Google translate your way through it. I’m assuming 1)your Chinese ain’t great and 2) you’re working here as an English teacher or something, housing contracts usually not so long so sit down with a coworker or boss and have them help you out to get the important parts noted. Worst comes to worst you can Google translate your rental agreement but I’d really recommended getting it looked at so you don’t violate something in there and get kicked out and lose your deposit or some such nonsense.

I’ve already got a line account anyway from living in Japan, it’s linked with my UK number at the moment though so I can’t submit the form on 591 without a Taiwanese number I think?

My Chinese isn’t great, and I was a software developer with a Working holiday visa so not too concerned, I have some Taiwanese friends out there who can help just trying to get the process started.

I’m hoping to move to Yilan/Toucheng but the process is largely the same, and I am flexible to anything

Yeah just get u a tw number and find agent/use line. I suppose if you’re doing tech stuff the cost to get someone to sort that out for you is not probably too much of a dent in the income :rofl: good luck, I can’t really help you out there.