Looking for Bartending Jobs

I’ve been working as a bartender in my country Ireland for some time now, and I’m moving to Taiwan to study. I’m going to Taipei so I can hopefully experience something different than home, what’s my best course of action. My mandarin is limited but its improving, thanks

How limited is limited? If I ordered a drink in Chinese could you understand me?

You need to stay in Taiwan for 1 year if you are enrolled in a language course, or 2 semesters as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student BEFORE you can apply for a part-time work permit that allows you to work. Anything else is illegal. You might feel the chances of getting caught are low, but people did get caught and did get deported. All it needs is a neighbor who feels bothered by the presence of a bar in their area and calls the NIA. Please do not work illegally in Taiwan.

I have absolutely nothing of value to contribute, but, if you begin bartending please make a post or update. I haven’t seen any bartenders here that could make anything more complex than a rum and coke. I feel like Joe Dirt scoping out the fireworks stand when I try ordering drinks here. Good luck with your endeavor.

There are some phenomenal bartenders in Taiwan at specialty cocktail bars. They even regularly place well in international bartending competitions. .

Yes there are. However, many bartenders are handicapped at places that don’t allow them to mix. In busy places they are often forced to make things the generic way and fast. Very few places actually encourage anything beyond using the cheapest alcohol and ratio possible and sell the most drinks possible.

The skills of a good barman go far beyond mixing drinks. .
Conversation and efficiency are much more important in my book.

1 Like

This is what you should look at before any of the posts here. Don’t work illegally.

Here here. Good conversation is key in my book.

FIFY

Their their, ranlee, don’t feel too bad about it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Where? where?
:rofl:

Over their, man. What are you, blind?

Were were, is my typo guys?

Sorry, I’m having trouble hereing you…

If you’re running for prez, you better learn how to communicate good!

Come on guys, enough of this silliness.

Back on topic, Hsinhai is right, but also, an Irish citizen under 31 can apply for a working holiday visa in order to work legally without a work permit for up to a year (but limited to 3 months per employer, and also limited to 3 months of study, if I’m not mistaken).

1 Like

Well, now that we’ve deviated this far from the original topic guess I’ll throw in my two cents. I fully agree. When I think of the ideal bar, I think of “Cheers,” the kind of place you want to visit even if it’s just for a couple beers. Being able to mix a wicked drink is just icing on the top.

My favorite bar was on a military installation in Okinawa. Some local Okinawan worked there, his name was “Freddy.” Now, I remember his name because if you looked Freddy in the eye, shook his hand, and told him your name, you were now his friend. He’d share pictures of his old American muscle cars, shoot the shit for a bit, and if someone else didn’t put enough liquor in your drink you could lean in and say, “Freddy, she didn’t put enough alcohol in this one.”

Beyond good small talk, Freddy was the master at both “you know what I like, the usual” and “I want something new. Surprise me.” Sometimes his surprises were really good, sometimes they were really disgusting, and many times they were free (I think he was practicing new mixes sometimes). And when it came near last call, the drinks were heavily loaded.

Before moving here I’ve never lived anywhere I couldn’t just go to a random bar and try out something I’ve never had before. I like to think I’m pretty open minded and really not too picky, but, Taipei’s bar scene has been a real strike out from my experience.

This is when we jump in and say you should visit ____ at ___ and talk to ___. He/she is a nice guy and will shoot the wind with you.

How about Kaohsiung?

I went by this place the other day and seems they need English-speaking bartenders:

It’s so hard to find good bartenders in Cosmed!

2 Likes