Looking for Chinese language movies and tv reccomendations made in Taiwan

Any recommendations that aren’t romance? Not really interested in the romance genre. I’ve seen a few murder mysteries and two horror series. They weren’t too bad.

I really hated light the night or whatever that was called, the one about hostesses that was really popular. I liked the show detention a lot.

I thought wave makers was ok at first until one character says she studied overseas in Australia in a horrible accent that wasn’t even remotely Australian. I’ve met many taiwanese who studied in Australia and they spoke English in Taiwanese accents with a hint of an Australian accent. The actors they chose to speak English clearly didn’t even know what they were saying and likely didn’t even practice. It hurt my experience so bad and was so cringy I gave up watching it.

Anyway I’m always looking for tv shows Made in Taiwan to help me practice with Chinese.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Some ideas of old movies
source : Director’s Picks: Ten Films from Taiwan to Watch

Some of the Top-grossing domestic films
source: List of highest-grossing films in Taiwan - Wikipedia

Secret Love for the Peach Blossom Spring 暗戀桃花源 (1992 film)

Pushing Hands 推手 (1991) | Trailer | Ang Lee

The Wedding Banquet Official 囍宴 - Winston Chao Movie (1993)

Eat Drink Man Woman Official 飲食男女 - Sihung Lung Movie (1994)

Eternal Summer 盛夏光年 | 2006

淚王子 Prince of Tear | 2009

《九降風》| WINDS OF SEPTEMBER | 2008

Cape No. 7 海角七號 | 2008

Monga 艋舺 | 2010

Night Market Hero 雞排英雄 | 2011

Love 愛 | 2012

Black & White: The Dawn of Justice 痞子英雄2:黎明升起 | 2014

You Are the Apple of My Eye 那些年,我們一起追的女孩 | 2011

Din Tao: Leader of the Parade 陣頭 | 2012

Café. Waiting. Love 等一個人咖啡 | 2014

Zone Pro Site 總舖師 | 2013

Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale 賽德克·巴萊 | 2011

David Loman 大尾鱸鰻 | 2013

Our Times 我的少女時代 | 2015

Kano | 2014

The Tag-Along 紅衣小女孩 | 2015

5 Likes

I used to like watching 台灣變色龍,藍色蜘蛛網,玫瑰瞳鈴眼 which are crime documentaries… that was from the 90s though. I have no idea what airs now. Those shows kinda embellish a lot of details but it also shows you that Taiwan used to be crime ridden.

I also used to like watching 大陸尋奇 which is like a travel documentary about China.

The funny thing is, when I watch a show from the 90s and stuff, they looked far worse than they did when I saw it back then. Like VHS films for example, looks like crap now but looked great back then.

Wow so many! Thanks a lot this should be super helpful!!

2 Likes

So many classics? Any ideas as to where to watch these? Maybe some are available on YouTube in their entirety, but others?

Awesome list btw.

1 Like

some of these movies are online , just search the chinese movie name + 線上看

Also you can visit the Taiwan Film & Audiovisual Institute 國家電影及視聽文化中心

other sources:

3 Likes