Looking for immigration lawyer for my adopted child

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good immigration lawyer to recommend for my case?
My son and I entered Taiwan in Feb 2020 on visa-exempt status. I have now found a job and should be getting my ARC next week. In the process of applying for my son’s dependent visa, BOCA denied it on the grounds that he was born in China. He was adopted at 2 years old and is now 5. Apparently there’s a law that one must live overseas for more than 4 years, otherwise Taiwan would still consider him as a citizen of China (even though China does not anymore!). Despite showing my son’s US passport, US citizenship certificate, US birth certificate, and all his adoption paperwork, the authorities at BOCA and NIA are unwilling to recognize his US citizenship. If this doesn’t get straightened out soon, my son would have to leave and will not be able to re-enter until the borders open to foreigners again. That would mean I have to leave and will not be able to fulfill my employment contract. I have appealed to AIT for help. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good immigration lawyer that can help us as well.

I think AIT would be interested in this case of a US Passport not being accepted/recognized. They can probably pressure them to fix it. Hope they can help.

2 Likes

insane

try this organization…

Http://www.tasat.org.tw