Looking for recent stories about Chinese money laundering via real estate investment in Asia

I’m looking for recent cases of Chinese investors who launder their money by buying real estate from Japan to Taiwan to Oz

This post is a perfect recent example:

Talking to friends casually, people “know” or “understand” that this is the case, but I’m looking for concrete examples. Links to articles would be most appreciated.

Here is a quote from 2015 WSJ article:

Chinese involvement in money laundering has been growing. “China leads the world in illicit capital flows," according to the 2015 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report (INCSR) of the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs of the U.S. State Department, which monitors international money laundering.

The report not only states that China is a leading source of illegal money transfers, but that it consistently fails to cooperate with other countries in resolving cross-border money laundering.

https://archive.is/ooQTt

The article focuses on a case in Italy where the Italian authorities are frustrated by the lack of cooperation of Chinese authorities.

I don’t know anything about property investment but you can also look into university fee’s and moneys are transferred using Daigou banking systems.

1 Like