Looking for Taipei-based Therapist

Hi,

Does anyone have a therapist they recommend? I am looking to discuss relationship and career.

In person preferred, but online might be an option too.

Sure, what are you dealing with? Tell me about it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was just thinking “isn’t this what forumosa is for?”

The OP might want to bear in mind that a depressingly large number of psychologists, therapists etc in Taiwan are … well, quacks might not be the right word, but the standard of service is pretty low.

Check out The Center in Tianmu. https://communitycenter.org.tw/

Most TW therapists here just nod along with you for an hour and then say “ok, we made great progress, see you next week” and then charge you NT$3000 or more for that hour. Or they want you to take a bunch of drugs without addressing the actual issues you bring up. No idea if The Center actually does anything for anyone, but I know they’re aimed at expats, so they’re probably going to be better than a typical TW therapist.

1 Like

I tried to help a friend out with registering at that place and it seemed unreasonably difficult for a place purporting to offer mental health support.

Admittedly part of this was because her busy work schedule meant she could only do the initial phone consultation during lunchtimes and the scheduling staff are apparently only available during normal working hours (and seem to not answer the phone at lunchtimes), but she apparently wasn’t called back at the time the scheduling staff had said they’d call, they didn’t respond to her emails, and when she tried calling herself she either got told to call a different number or the phone wasn’t answered.

In the end she just gave up after a week or two of trying. This might not be the norm and it could be fine once registered (the counselors appear to cover a wide range of different things), but it seems like a place like this could do a better job when someone makes the difficult first step of trying to register.

1 Like