Looking for Taiwanese pop music that sounds like J-pop

I could really do with some Taiwanese pop music that sounds like J-pop for a video. I know “J-pop” is a broad term, so specifically I mean the annoying AKB48 style high-pitched female voices and sensory overload that you hear in Akihabara. Is there anything like this?

1 Like

I know you already explained why, but… why

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

I’m creating a video about Taiwan for a project. I was thinking to use J-pop for a scene in Ximen, but I just heard a song by a Taiwanese singer called Rainie Yang that sounded a little like J-pop and I thought it might be better if I can use Taiwanese music that conveys the same thing. J-pop is mainstream in Taiwan, so there must be something?

1 Like

That sounds like a cool project. I wish I could help but I try to block that noise out of my mind. Surely someone can help.

Bumping for attention :slight_smile:

Thanks! I realise that I’m asking for examples of two things I generally hate (with a couple of exceptions with Taiwanese pop) merged together. If anything, I’ll be curious to see if such a thing exists. :wink:

1 Like

Back in the 2000s and early 2010s there were a lot of that, but now most female stars are trying to sound like Korean idol bands.

Some Cindy Wang and Amber An songs probably fit the bill. There’s also Weather Girls.

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot about S.H.E.

I mean, even the lyrics deliberately used some Japanese, the influence is pretty obvious. Both songs are written locally though, they are not covers of Japanese songs.

Also, now I feel really old.

Some great examples! I’m familiar with S.H.E, because I used to sometimes put them on in the background when I was studying Chinese, but I’ve never heard them sound so J-pop before.

I’m not sure if the Weather Girls are a Taiwanese pop band that sings J-pop in Japanese or an actual J-pop band because all the songs I’m finding are in Japanese. If they’re actually Taiwanese… wow. They’ve really nailed it.

1 Like

They started out doing weather reports on a TV news network, and became very popular in Japan thanks to the internet. They then released their first album in Japan in 2012, and only released their first Mandarin song in Taiwan the next year. They never had a breakout song in Taiwan though. Every member is Taiwanese, except for one Korean.

1 Like

What you need is some Ladybug. Anyone else here remember Ladybug?

1 Like

They sound more like Japanese rock bands, which also isn’t very common here in Taiwan for some reason.

It’s not exactly AKB48 but it this might fit what you’re looking for. The song title is even a Japanese word translated to Mandarin.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing I’d have chosen to listen to back when I was studying Chinese if I’d known it existed rather than Jolin Tsai, S.H.E, et al. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

1 Like

Good playlist: 台灣女團(Taiwan Girl Groups) - YouTube

The Weathergirls seems suitable - they do jpop in both Japanese and Mandarin.

Edit: wrong link

1 Like