Looking for westies in jubei

Am an American moving to JUBEI. Anybody know if there are any westerners living out there yet? THANKS!

You could look for footprints, droppings and trails.

Are you really willing to commute 90 minutes on crowded trains each way and that is just from train station to train station?

I live in Jubei in a new building. But it really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

There’s supposedly many Westerners living in ‘Holland Village’ on Wuling Road, but I personally haven’t seen that many in the 7 months I’ve been here. :s

Hey, didn’t you say it was 33K a month there? No wonder you’ve seen nobody who is that crazy :slight_smile:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ht=#497920

I pay 15K for around 70m2 in a managed building very close to the Science Park + 600 NT annual fee for a reserved scooter parking in the basement.

You can reliably spot 4 or 5 at Metrowalk.

Also, found a few at TGI Friday.

I even corned one dude and demanded that he was Forumosa poster Stan. He refused to admit to being Stan. Probably wasn’t Stan, just some CEO from a multi national company who will be very scared of Australians from now on.

I did, but there are many engineers out here who get expenses paid for them and thus don’t have to pay the accommodation fees themselves. I know of at least 3 expat families who live in my block so their companies must be paying for them or they’re getting a better rental deal than we did. :wink:

Given the shabby conditions of most of Hsinchu’s other complexes (and believe me, we saw a few when we were house-hunting), I wouldn’t be surprised if people paid a little extra for good quality housing.

You’ll definitely find one of these in Jubei

:wink:

[quote=“Funk500”]You’ll definitely find one of these in Zhubei

:wink:[/quote]

Looks delicious.

There’s a bunch of Westernners/and locals who congregate at a place called Spring Cafe once a month to discuss things of interest to foreigners and I can just sense that some forumosans do attend.

Spring Cafe is just above Subway which is just above Burger King opposite to the Hsinchu train station. Anybody know the date of the next meeting?

Nice looking tracks, great picture, but is the Subway/train station in Jubei or Hsinchu, the Taiwanese agent we spoke with says the train only goes through Jubei. I don’t want to move to the wrong place and be stuck with the wise guy who has nothing better to do with his/her time than include the picture of the dog instead of being productive and helping others who just need a little help moving to another location in Taiwan. Thanks to those of you who are!

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Westie:

Westerner:

Helps if you know the difference, or at least purchase a sense of humour.

Anyway, welcome to Taiwan. Hope you find somewhere nice to live in Zhubei.

Sir, there are many trains in this area. First, the high speed train stop is in Jubei. Secondly there is a train from Jubei to Hsinchu which takes 20 minutes ride. But you probably take your scooter instead. Jubei and Hsinchu are like together … only seperated by a big river. Third there is no subway but there is Subway in Hsinchu. No matter if you go to Jubei or Hsinchu, both are close to each other. Any other questions? I suggest you get a map and see it yourself. Will you work in the Science Park? If yes, then prepare for a traffic jam each morning if you really want to live in Jubei. I don’t know what should be so good about Jubei except a few nice restaurants on GuangMing First Road and Carrefour. The real estate there is expensive (cause of the silly high speed train station). Anyways, whatever you do its better than Taipei here.

[quote=“Rasputin”]There’s a bunch of Westernners/and locals who congregate at a place called Spring Cafe once a month to discuss things of interest to foreigners and I can just sense that some forumosans do attend.

Spring Cafe is just above Subway which is just above Burger King opposite to the Hsinchu (Xinzhu) train station. Anybody know the date of the next meeting?

[/quote]

Heres a link to the windy City Cub mentioned above:
groups.msn.com/WindyCityClubofHsinchu

[quote=“Rasputin”]
Heres a link to the windy City Cub mentioned above:
groups.msn.com/WindyCityClubofHsinchu[/quote]

OMG

You could also join Hsinchu Hash House Harriers and meet me:

hsinchuhash.com/bean.html

This thread might as well be joined to the other one because Hsinchu and Chupei are one and the same place. We are practically paisan!
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=](Westerners in Hsinchu

C’mon guys, every Aussie knows what a “Westie” is, but in cities other than Sydney its called a “Bogan”.

[quote=“wiki”]
In Sydney, westies have taken their name from Sydney’s western suburbs, a region of suburbs in which the cost of living is generally considered to be less than that of Sydney’s more easterly and inner-city suburbs. The former are also known to suffer from higher crime rates, and lower levels of professional employment, however they are home to increasing number of small businesses.

The westie stereotype is perceived by some as being in a state of transition, as Sydney is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. A lot of young families are moving out to the western suburbs due to cheap house prices and new towns that are being built on what was formerly farm land on the outskirts of Sydney.

However, tangible tensions and differences still thrive, which has lead to a backlash by some, especially by those who do not appreciate being called westies.

Westie art is used to described art which reflects the experiences of western suburbs youth. [/quote]

So in answer to the OP, I haven’t seen and Westies, or Bogans in Taiwan.

Couldn’t find any good pictures, but Chopper is a pretty typical Bogan

You’re assuming that it’s an Aussie who’s using the term Westie and you’re assuming that Aussies have the corner on the term Westies! It’s a big world out there, ya know!

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Funk500”]You’ll definitely find one of these in Zhubei

:wink:[/quote]

Looks delicious.[/quote]

Wasn’t that on the menu at 1,2,3 ?

No, I wasn’t assuming he was Aussie and I never assumed that Aussies have the corner on the term “Westies”.

I just thought I’d add that term since it does mean a completely different thing back home.

Yes I do know its a big world out there beyond where I come from…thanks for the heads up! But by reputation, its the US that has “the corner on” or regarded as looking introspectively. Welcome to Forumosa!