Looking like a tourist

…how to achive this look?

I have to interpret a just arrived, eager tourist sampling local delicacies. Suggestions on wardrobe are more than welcome.

First order of business: My own country’s T-shirt/cap or Taiwan’s?

Are they supposed to be Chinese? Then have the man and woman dressed in the same matching outfit.

If a westerner, could be a hippy looking young dude with a guitar (and a backpack beside him with a maple leaf sewn on) looking like he’s found nirvana.

Eagerly sampling local delicacies? Much more of an activity carried out by Asian tourists than Western ones.

For the Chinese tourist, add a day-glo baseball cap and a small daypack to the above description; for a mainland Chinese tourist, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth if he’s a man. And a camera around the neck.

But if it’s the stereotypical Western tourist: dreadlocks, a bandanna, an oversized backpack and flip flops will do it. A Lonely Planet book in hand completes the look. For an older Western tourist: Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, straw hat, sunglasses and a camera.

A Western tourist sampling local delicacies would most likely be gagging and retching in the street. However, I suggest footwear should either be Teva sandals (socks optional) or very big, clean, too bright sports shoes.

Yep, interpreting a Western tourist while being an Oversize Chinese is problematic… OK, I got my Tevas, my “drink more beer T-shirt” but I compromised with a ROC flag cap. And jeans, not shorts. Camera ready too. I’ll try to beg/borrow/steal the backpack, maple leaf or not.

Man, back home they sell these Rasta hats with dreadlocks and all. Gotta remember to bring one next year.

And Chris, I am a dudette. :laughing:

Thank you guys, keep you posted.

Edit:
It just ocurred to me that my bling-bling pedicure may not be the current fashion in the West…

[quote=“Chris”]Eagerly sampling local delicacies? Much more of an activity carried out by Asian tourists than Western ones.

For the Chinese tourist, add a day-glo baseball cap and a small daypack to the above description; for a mainland Chinese tourist, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth if he’s a man. And a camera around the neck.

But if it’s the stereotypical Western tourist: dreadlocks, a bandanna, an oversized backpack and flip flops will do it. A Lonely Planet book in hand completes the look. For an older Western tourist: Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, straw hat, sunglasses and a camera.[/quote]

Sandals and socks complete this picture …

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Are they supposed to be Chinese? Then have the man and woman dressed in the same matching outfit.

If a westerner, could be a hippy looking young dude with a guitar (and a backpack beside him with a maple leaf sewn on) looking like he’s found nirvana.[/quote]

If Canadian … have some hemp (cannabis) leafs dangling out from the backpack …

I think it’ll be fine. There was a fair bit of bling when I was home (NZ) in August. My young niece was also sporting a fair bit of Hello Kitty.

I wasn’t sure if the role would be played by you. I thought you were creating the look for someone else who would be the actor.

I wasn’t sure if the role would be played by you. I thought you were creating the look for someone else who would be the actor.[/quote]

Nope, I am not directing this. Actually, I have no idea what are we going to do, what’s the deal. I sincerely hope I will be background. With my nervous temperament, I am not good in front of the cameras/microphone. Disaster looms…

I’ve seen lots of nervous tourists at night markets as they attempt to speak Chinese. Equally common are businessmen who appear to be sucking in their qi in an attempt to prevent all the foul odors from saturating their nice suits.

How about looking like a travel book writer? What fashion tips can MM give us for being a tourist without being a tourist? How often do people (local or other tourist) pick you for being a travel writer?

A travel book writer tries not to look like a travel book writer as he is not allowed to benefit from the work he does as it is seen as getting kickbacks from people that benefit from tourists … he just needs to try to look as a tourist … :ponder:

Fairly often. In general I look like a writer. And asking lots of questions and carrying a proper camera around is a dead giveaway. If people travel with me for a couple days they usually guess something is up. Was on a tour in Tibet once and on the second day the guide turned and asked “so who do you write for?” :laughing:

But I don’t dress like most of my colleagues who tend to be pretty sloppy. My thinking is that if I am going to be wearing the same pieces of clothing for two months I had better loooove them. And as BP says, you do want to blend in. I just want to blend in as a professional out for a non-workday stroll; not an aging hippy.

So I guess I do dress like them just better quality stuff. Pants with lots of pockets are really helpful. Good shoes that can work both for long walks and to show the concierge in a good hotel you need to check out that you aren’t a scummy backpacker. A shoulder bag so you can access stuff easier than a backpack. Cell phone for taking notes so no one notices (really important in China), and often a good camera.

But yeah, sometimes this look pegs me as odd if the place is just for young hippie backpackers. Need a dread wig or something.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]So I guess I do dress like them just better quality stuff. Pants with lots of pockets are really helpful. Good shoes that can work both for long walks and to show the concierge in a good hotel you need to check out that you aren’t a scummy backpacker. A shoulder bag so you can access stuff easier than a backpack. Cell phone for taking notes so no one notices (really important in China), and often a good camera.

But yeah, sometimes this look pegs me as odd if the place is just for young hippie backpackers. Need a dread wig or something.[/quote]
Don’t forget a dog-eared copy of the previous edition of the book you’re researching, scribbled full of notes!

Ooh… for an older Western tourist, don’t forget the dreaded “fanny pack”!!

And for a younger female backpacker: the sarong!!

[quote=“Chris”]Ooh… for an older Western tourist, don’t forget the dreaded “fanny pack”!!

And for a younger female backpacker: the sarong!![/quote]

Oh yeah! :laughing:

I suppose if they have kids one could be tattooed with chinese characters saying, “we are idiot travellers” or “we are an ugly american family.”

Interesting.

You guys are awful! I have seen many tourists these days -OK, who was the furriner in shorts taking pictures at the parade press stand? I am 89% sure it was not CF- and while I agree on shorts and Tevas, actually sarongs are not the thing. Flowing dresses are. Gee, guys, stay updated. Socks in this weather…

Ooo Ooo Ooo! Me! I use me as example!

The gear:
Beat up, dirty, torn NY Yankees hat; low-cut spaghetti strap shirt; dark-washed jeans shorts, Airwalk sandals from Payless. Nikon travel camera dangling from wrist. Starbucks iced coffee cup in hand. Backpack slung across one shoulder carrying a novel, a bag of toiletries, and money/passport. No visible map in hand.

The look:
-Red and sweaty face under a hat not made for this weather.
-Eyes darting back and forth in a desperate search for something to cling to. Looks slightly lost, but with a very determined look on face of “I will figure this out.”
-Visibly struggling under the weight of backpack, made worse by horrendous heat.

The feeling:
-This hat is definitely not working in this horrific weather.
-Why am I the only one with boobs and …a low cut shirt. Oh my God I feel so uncomfortable.
-My shorts are apparently the only name brand ones. Uh… Where do they all shop? Oh… is this a nightmarket? What crap.
-Thank god for Payless. I should really get someone from home to mail me another pair cause what the hell are those things in the shop?! Sandals?! Or bear traps?
-Hmmm… I guess my camera isn’t going to get much use here… It’s all just kinda grey and dingy.
-Thank God for iced espressos. Thank God for MultiNational Corporations like Starbucks.
-Oh you trusty Swiss Gear backpack. Holding up yet again.
-I should’ve brought a map.
-OMFG! WHERE THE FUCK IS MY PASSPOR-… oh. right here. heh.