Lost Items in Taxis - What to Do?

[color=#0000FF]Original thread title: Taipei Taxi Co. Phone Numbers? Lost my wallet in one on Sat[/color]

Hi,
Not sure if I should ask here or the where can I find thread but does anyone know some Taipei taxi cab company phone numbers I can call. I was in Taipei on the weekend (I live in khh) and I lost my wallet in a cab (boo!) on Sat night. Back in Khh now so thought Id try and get some numbers…
I dont expect to find it (or get the cash back, though that would be real nice cause it was a bit) but Taiwan can be pretty good for this sort of thing…Id really like to get some cards back like my aussie drivers license…no bank cards were in it…

Cheers for any tips!

One I use is 55 100.

Do you remember any particulars about the car/driver? Was he/she wearing an uniform? Were there flowers of some sort in the cab? Publicity? Any marking can help us pinpoint the company, and help you get your stuff back faster. Usually they are very nice and will pick up stuff and send it to the main branch for storage, maybe even put the info on their website. For example, the bus lines have a lost and found section in their website.

EDIT:
From Taiwan Taxi’s website:

[quote]14. Q: What should I do if I have left my belongings in the taxi of Taiwan Taxi? What do I do with the lost and found?

A: If you have left your belongings in taxi, please phone the customer service hotline (55688 by cell phone) of Taiwan Taxi immediately with the information of riding time, vehicle tag, pickup location and destination available and our service personnel will assist you with the lost and found process and will contact your driver immediately. Our drivers who have found the belongings of passengers will contact the customer service center and you will be informed immediately to collect your belongings.

[/quote]

taiwantaxi.com.tw/taiwantaxi/english/FAQ.htm

Other links:

[quote] Taxi services Phone Ratings

1. Sunrise Taxi 23397575
  2. Chung Tai Radio Taxi Service 22213000
  3. Chin Yin Taxi Radio Service 27467811
  4. Big Taipei Radio Taxi Service 87872001
    [/quote]

hope you’re able to get it back. fwiw, i’ve lost my wallet in taipei twice now, and both times have had it returned to me with everything still there inside. once by a taxi driver (who returned it to shida), and once by a bike messenger (who called up my office).

Cheers for the replies folks…esp for all those numbers, Icon!

I don’t remember too much about the cab, we just finished playing a gig where we got a bunch of free booze soooo my mind was a lil hazy. I knew I lost it in the cab, cause I paid for it, jumped out, walked, and then realized it was missing, turned around and then…he was gone… : (

I’ll try calling now…fingers crossed!
Thanks!

Stupid, Stupid person that I am - I left a suitcase in a taxi. Most of the things in it are of no value, most of the things that is apart from my passport!

Naturally I have no idea which taxi company dropped me off. I’m hoping the driver will have returned the bag to either a Lost and Found OR a Police Station - but after contacting the foreigner police via email I have heard nothing - and I have also been unable to get through to them on the phone.

I can’t seem to find any taxi company numbers which actually allow me to speak to the taxi office - it just comes up with automated messages talking about how to book a cab.

Has anyone got any info on the best ways to go about (possibly) getting it back?

Much appreciated

Do you remember the taxi company? Did you notice if the car had a phone number printed on it? This can help you either identify the company right away or cross some off the list. Do you remember if it was registered in Taipei County, Taipei City, Taoyuan County, etc.?

When you call the number to book a cab here you always talk to a person. Try just asking them in Chinese about lost and found, then refuse to hang up the phone and be angry until they tell you who to talk to. It will cost you a little bit more money, but one of my friends worked at those call centers a few years ago and he told me the amount of time they have people on the phone for affects their pay (less time = better). So when someone is bitchy to me I just keep them on the phone talking about random stuff or start fights with them. :laughing: I always get a “Ma xiansheng, bu yao shengqi o! wo bang ni jiejue hao!!” :smiley:

Try the police station local to where you were dropped off. Go there in person and if you don’t speak Chinese then take a Taiwanese acquaintance or someone else willing to help you. It’s possible that your stuff might be there and they didn’t think of contacting the foreign affairs police, even though your passport is inside. The TW police are not particularly proactive, to put it mildly. Persist in calling the foreign affairs police, they often don’t answer e-mails.

Did you hail the taxi at a taxi-rank (i.e. a popular place where a lot of taxis are waiting for a fare) or just a random one off the street ? If it was the former, then you could try going to the same place at the same time, to try your luck. If you remember what the driver looks like, if he had any distinguishing features you could try asking some of the other drivers there.

I wouldn’t lose hope too easily though. TW taxi drivers are an honest lot, even if they can annoy the feck out of you.

Good luck.

If you’re in Taipei you could try the Radio Control Centre, next to the National Immigration Agency: 17, Guangzhou Street, Tapiei City (nearest MRT Xiaonanmen)
They had my phone I left in a taxi the other day, and are where drivers are supposed to leave stuff.

Afraid I don’t have the number, as we did all our communication over my mobile.

Best of luck.

If I’m not mistaken, the Police Radio Network (or whatever it’s properly called in English: 警察廣播電台 in Chinese) handles announcements to taxi drivers about lost items, though I would imagine that fewer drivers listen to it than did “back in the day”. I would also notify your embassy/consulate/office since logically (yes, that’s assuming some, but anyway…) someone who had found a passport from your country might contact them.

The Radio Control Center sounds like your best bet in Taipei.

Did you get on at the airport or bus station? They might have a record of taxis that come in, cameras, etc. or they might help you find the taxi driver -usually teh same ones go to the same spots.

Any particulars? Flowers on teh front seat? Could you also pay with MRT card? Some circle design on teh seats, white protective lace thingjie on the car seats? Each of these features identifies a specific company.

Taxis also have a radio station -traffic station. maybe someone can help you place an ad.

Thanks for the assistance - I’m on my way now to the Radio Control Centre

I do remember two distinguishing features about the taxi. 1 is that the taxi was an estate (don’t know the American English for this term, but it means it had a bigger trunk/boot) 2. Is that the meter wasn’t in the usual place near the gear stick, but on the roof near the front passenger seat. Dunno if that sounds recognizable to anyone.

[quote=“mankindmatt5”]Thanks for the assistance - I’m on my way now to the Radio Control Centre

I do remember two distinguishing features about the taxi. 1 is that the taxi was an estate (don’t know the American English for this term, but it means it had a bigger trunk/boot) 2. Is that the meter wasn’t in the usual place near the gear stick, but on the roof near the front passenger seat. Dunno if that sounds recognizable to anyone.[/quote]
It was probably a Toyota Wish. That’s a very popular car for taxis.

Always go in person and ask. When I lost my expensive mobile phone on the bus, a Taiwanese friend called the lost and found section of the bus company 4 times and asked if they had found it and they were annoyed in the end and said you don’t need to call anymore. When I went to the lost and found in person the phone was there together with like 50 other phones that no-one had claimed.

I also lost some important stuff in a taxi once but never had any luck getting it back. It is difficult with all the different taxi companies.

Any news, Mankindmatt ?

I love these threads, people still hoping a suitcase will be returned. … having said that, St Christopher has helped me out a few times. Fingers crossed.

I got it back!

Hooray.

It came over the Police Radio that the taxi drivers listen to that it was handed in. What a great, honest place we live in

Thanks for all the help

[quote=“mankindmatt5”]I got it back!

Hooray.

It came over the Police Radio that the taxi drivers listen to that it was handed in. What a great, honest place we live in

Thanks for all the help[/quote]

:slight_smile: Great news. Glad this one turned out well.

Has any of this information changed or been updated? I have a similar problem with losing my wallet in Banqiao

taiwantaxi.com.tw/taiwantaxi … rvices.asp