Lost one of my domain names - what can I do?

I made the mistake of not auto-renewing one of my domain names (I was thinking about transferring it to my hosting company so I could just pay once a year and save a little money).

It expired on June 4th and I just realized my mistake two days ago. Company I used to secure it (2 years) hasn’t replied to my emails yet.

Has anyone had this happen? And is there any kind of grace period allowing me to renew it? Any penalties? The company I work with is usually really good about keeping in touch with me when they see something that needs attention so I was surprised not to get a deactivation notice.

Different question but kind of related: have you ever had the problem of contact information, telephone numbers and addresses being changed on your domains?

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]I made the mistake of not auto-renewing one of my domain names (I was thinking about transferring it to my hosting company so I could just pay once a year and save a little money).

It expired on June 4th and I just realized my mistake two days ago. Company I used to secure it (2 years) hasn’t replied to my emails yet.

Has anyone had this happen? And is there any kind of grace period allowing me to renew it? Any penalties? The company I work with is usually really good about keeping in touch with me when they see something that needs attention so I was surprised not to get a deactivation notice.

Different question but kind of related: have you ever had the problem of contact information, telephone numbers and addresses being changed on your domains?[/quote]
I once had the nightmare of the hosting company, who also registered my domain, going bust and the corporate officers doing a runner. Eventually I was able to get their upstream supplier to help me change the domain info and unlock it, but that was a struggle that took several weeks. Having put a couple of years into that domain and having very good Google search rankings, I was very annoyed with the whole thing. I can certainly feel your pain here.
Now I think about it, I might have started a thread here about it. If the domain is not yet locked you will have much less trouble, so do everything you can right now to find out if your registrar is just being slow to answer, or has gone out of business. If they are still around and willing to help it’s an easy fix. If they are gone then all the domains they were administering will passed onto to ICANN for them to deal with. Eventually they will work their way through the affected domains by transferring the administration rights to a new registrar of your choice. If the domain is still active and your contact email addresses are still good then it will happen fairly quickly. If the domain is locked and / or you can no longer use the contact email address then it’s going to be a fight.

Good luck!

In all the domain-registration companies I’ve dealt with, a domain ceases to be useable as soon as it expires. So, no Web pages, not e-mail, etc. But it can’t be bought up by anyone else until it’s “destroyed,” which is 30(?) days later.

I’ve renewed several domains after their expiration but before their destruction by simply going through the regular renewal process. There was no extra charge and no extra hassle.

The new expiration date will be based on when the domain expired originally, not on when you renew it. So if on June 28 you renew a domain that expired on June 4, the expiration date next year (or whatever year) will still be June 4 (or maybe June 3).

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]I made the mistake of not auto-renewing one of my domain names (I was thinking about transferring it to my hosting company so I could just pay once a year and save a little money).

It expired on June 4th and I just realized my mistake two days ago. Company I used to secure it (2 years) hasn’t replied to my emails yet. Has anyone had this happen? And is there any kind of grace period allowing me to renew it? Any penalties? The company I work with is usually really good about keeping in touch with me when they see something that needs attention so I was surprised not to get a deactivation notice.

Different question but kind of related: have you ever had the problem of contact information, telephone numbers and addresses being changed on your domains?[/quote]

Your info can only be changed by site admin… I had the unforunate experience of using a local company run by an expat that recently closed dued to bankruptcy… although I paid for them to be setup under my name they werent and it took them over 18 months to transfer the ownership of my names after I threatened legal action…

Best advice for your domain names always make the registrant yourself and always auto pay under you own name.
Then all renewal reminders are sent to the email address your nominate. You should be able to contact the domain host and see why your details were changed.

Thanks for the replies, I got it all sorted out! I went through the regular renewal process and they had it back up very quickly!

As for contact/admin/owner info, I’ve had that problem at mydomain where I purchased the names myself so it’s very strange. Even more strange because my domain names aren’t worth much so why would anyone go to all that trouble?? The last time it happened, I just changed the info back but I really should report it. It’s happened at least twice there.

If you think there’s weirdness going on, you should probably switch registrars. But I’ve heard that for technical reasons it’s better to wait at least a couple of weeks before switching a recently renewed domain. (A recently registed domain needs even more time.)

Would strongly suggest that you register or move your domain to an independent dealer such as NameCheap or one of a number of other domain companies. Keep it separate from your hosting so if your host goes under or deletes your account, you can simply move to another host. They’re more experienced at dealing with domain issues.

This prevents this kind of problem, but it doesn’t fix lost files or if the domain company goes under.

Of course you still have to pay the bill on time!

Kenneth