Loud freehub clutch: yay or nay?

What’s your take? Good or bad?
I recon that loud clutch may be good for safety on busy paths. The moment I idle, the clutch noise warns people I’m behind them.
But I also like the relative silence on the secluded downhill rides.

I come from Shimano SLX hub which was really quiet.
I did a rebuild of a drivetrain and got new wheels but found out that the hub clutch is really loud (like pissed off rattlesnake loud)
The angle of engagement on this hub is really nice (<5deg) so it has its advantages.

Currently, I did fill it with white lithium grease and it did quiet it down a bit.
Should I try denser grease? MOS2 (molybdenum disulfide) maybe?

1 Like

I prefer silent hubs on road bikes myself. That said, I’ve just ordered a new bike with hope pro 5 hubs so I guess I’ll see how much it annoys me.

Grease and wear usually quietens them down a little bit, but I think you’re just going to have to embrace the noise, or never stop pedalling.

Noisy hub is handy on the river paths for sure.

+1 - I hate people who ring bells at pedestrians on mixed use paths, there’s no need when you sound like an approaching cicada swarm :smiley:

4 Likes

Fixie s(t)imulator!

Yes, it helps get noticed but when path is wide enough I hate to disturb the peace. I guess I will keep pedaling :slight_smile:

Don’t use thick grease in the freehub. A bit more of light grease will reduce noise, but some designs are just louder. If you use a lot of grease, or some thicker grease, you have the risk of blocking the movement of some parts and/or parts slipping.

Judging by the low engagement angle, your hub is going to make more noise than most others. That’s usually the price to pay. Low engagement angle is useful for MTB, and gravel depending on the terrain, but mostly pointless for road.

1 Like

Thanks! I have MTB which I migrated into a kind of gravel bike with gearing and wheels.

I hate riding next to cars so I do go to the countryside and ride small roads and paths, jumping some roots, kerbs and climbing hills for some more technical fun.

Low engagement angle is definitely a good thing for my riding style. I guess I have to live with the cicadas in my wheel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loud freehubs for the win. Not only are they useful on the riverside paths for safety reaons, but useful in a group ride. In my case, I’m typically in the front pulling, so when I hear freehubs go, I know I need to speed things up. :smiling_imp: