Lowest test score enrolled at a meager 7.69 of 600 points

Who says them ‘cram schools’ don’t work. Just need to ‘re-adjust’ the standards…frickin chabuduo education here on the island.

[quote]Lowest test score enrolled at a meager 7.69 of 600 points
The China Post news staff
Saturday, August 9, 2008

TAIPEI, Taiwan – The college entrance exam has set two records this year – the highest ever admission rate at 97.1 percent and the lowest test score for enrollment at a meager 7.69 points out of a possible total of 600.

A total of 81,409 out of the 90,894 examinees who took the entrance exam were admitted, according the Joint Board of College Recruitment Commission (JBCRC), which released the admission results yesterday.

Despite the record admission, previous speculations that the rate would hit 100 percent – which would allow students scoring nothing in the exam to become college freshmen – did not materialize.

But the lowest admission score was very close to zero.

Leader University, a new facility located in the southern city of Tainan, has accepted a student who only scored a total of 7.69 points, or about an average of one point for each of the six subjects he or she had taken, according to the JBCRC.

Last year the admission rate was 96.28 percent, and the lowest admission score was 18 points for a student accepted by Toko University.

Toko shed the reputation as the school recruiting the lowest-scoring student this year, but it was only able to enroll 200 students for with a total of 1,141 vacancies.

One of Toko’s departments specializing in environmental health studies was unable to recruit a single student for the freshman year.

With more openings than examinees, a total of 4,788 vacancies in various departments across the nation were left unfilled this year, eight times the figure recorded last year, according to the JBCRC.

Leader Chief General Yang Chen-ming said the student with only 7.96 points was only an isolated case, and he could understand the tremendous pressure that the student and his or her family would be coming under.

Yang said the school has no plans to start setting minimum admission scores (many other universities do have thresholds) next year, and departments will still maintain their normal curriculum even when they have only one student.

Competition for students has been keen since the government started relaxing the establishment of universities several years ago.

But competition to get into top universities and departments has also been fierce.

Students need a minimum score of 513.03 points to be admitted to the Medical School of National Taiwan University.

The JBCRC said that board members will meet in October to discuss whether it is necessary to impose threshold scores for applicants, as recruiting students with such low scores as 7.69 makes little sense.

These students may not be able to cope with their college studies, observers said.

Meanwhile, a student aged 62 was admitted as the oldest freshman this year. He will study at the Hsing Kuo University of Management located in the southern city of Tainan.

A student aged 16 was admitted into the Department of Business Administration under National Taiwan University in Taipei City, making him the youngest freshman this year.
The China Post[/quote]

No binlang chewer left behind.

Form a committee…

Upgrading the quality of higher education in Taiwan

Yeah…form another committee.

TC wrote: [quote]Last year the admission rate was 96.28 percent, and the lowest admission score was 18 points for a student accepted by Toko University.

Toko shed the reputation as the school recruiting the lowest-scoring student this year, but it was only able to enroll 200 students for with a total of 1,141 vacancies. [/quote]

Glad to see the baton of shame pass from Chiayi County to Tainan. Toko University is in the sticks, literally two minutes from my place; I can see it looking out of my window. While I like having an institute of higher learning in my neighbourhood (i.e. hot young babes in “ass shorts”) it must be said that the university is a sorry excuse for a school.

Sigh… what’s the word ‘university’ mean anyway? Just like I got five ‘hospitals’ near my house.

IMO the concept of excellence is absent here, and now it totally goes out the window. Go for the bottom, Taiwan.

[quote]

These students may not be able to cope with their college studies, observers said.

[/quote]Gee, you think?
How could anyone even get that low? Aren’t these exams multiple choice?
Sadly, they are helped to cope when the universities water down their requirements - and anyone who has ever taught at a university in Taiwan (especially one of the new ones) knows the courses are pretty watered down already.

Yes. I have noticed that the ‘requirements’ here are generally quite…eh…low.

Chabuduo culture and all that.

Seven percent? In some instances that’s not the worst of it. On my blog, in March 2007, I commented on test scores for senior high school students’ entrance exams to university.

and

Here’s my blog entry with the link to the article in the blog:
bismarckintainan.blogspot.com/20 … cores.html

What did they do, fall asleep while taking the test? :astonished:

Even the chief could score at least one point.

Are there any samples of the test online?

It’s the misguided concept that EVERYONE has the right to an education. Many take that to mean it doesn’t need to be earned.

Attitude to education system is that its crap, so you send the kids to cram school and they will get the highest score. Therefore a weak education system is an advantage to those who are willing/able to play for cram schools. So the thinking becomes the more cram schools you attend, the better your chances are

Strange people even go to some colleges/universities here. Maybe it’s a face thing. You got a degree from Tai-da or the like, you’re dynamite. You get a degree from other university; well it’s possible to find a job to suit your limitations.

Kids do have it rough. Go to school at 6.00AM, go to cram school in the afternoon, and go home at night. I even notice kids during the summer holiday period wearing uniforms.
Maybe as in the office you must “ja-ban ja-ban” to get the deal, sell the product, make your company rich; the logic of “ja-ke ja-ke” applies to the kids. Quantity not quality, or you put in enough quantity you will hit quality

[quote=“bismarck”]Seven percent? In some instances that’s not the worst of it. On my blog, in March 2007, I commented on test scores for senior high school students’ entrance exams to university.

and

[/quote]
I was about to defend them by saying how many British people fail French and how English tests are difficult, then I read 2100 got zero for Chinese.

Ouch! I would at least expect them to get a point for writing their name.

That being said, I once got 7% for a high school maths exam, but there is a world of difference between failing a advanced algebra exam and failing your first language

[quote]I was about to defend them by saying how many British people fail French and how English tests are difficult, then I read 2100 got zero for Chinese.

That being said, I once got 7% for a high school maths exam, but there is a world of difference between failing a advanced algebra exam and failing your first language[/quote]

Few failed their “first” language. For the vast majority, Mandarin is not the language learned or spoken at home.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”][quote]I was about to defend them by saying how many British people fail French and how English tests are difficult, then I read 2100 got zero for Chinese.

That being said, I once got 7% for a high school maths exam, but there is a world of difference between failing a advanced algebra exam and failing your first language[/quote]

Few failed their “first” language. For the vast majority, Mandarin is not the language learned or spoken at home.[/quote]

What a crock of shit. That’s becoming very much an urban legend. For the over 30 brigade, maybe. In the south, probably. But to say “the vast majority” of Taiwanese island wide speak Taiwanese at home is just plain false. Even in Tainan, where I’ve taught many private students at their homes and the truth is the do speak Mandarin at home. If they can speak Taiwanese at all, it’s usually very poor in comparison to their Taiwanese and they only speak it to grandparents who, in many cases, only speak Taiwanese and possibly Japanese.

According to the Taiwan Yearbook, Taiwanese is the most widespread of the non Mandarin languages spoken on the island, whereas Mandarin is spoken in all areas.

Besides which, let’s say that the 2100 students that got zero for Mandarin where in fact not native speakers of the language. They were still educated for 12 years in Mandarin, regardless of where they grew up, and received Mandarin language instruction over the same period. Therefore it isn’t any less shameful that those 2100 students got zero in Mandarin.
I had Afrikaans (watered down Dutch) as a second language for 12 years at school, and even though I was educated in English for all my other subjects I still managed a B grade for Afrikaans in the 12th grade.

The main point being discussed in this thread is the pathetic level of education in Taiwan (Educational chabuduo-ism, as TC put it), and those high school results more than confirm it.