Luck with Contract Renewal

Idk about Canada, but everyone in my teacher circles says there is a much worse teacher shortage in the US than there was before, which was already very high. But maybe Canadian teachers are paid better wages and there isn’t an entire political party dedicated to making sure only wealthy children can get anything resembling a good education (and those schools pay teachers a nice fat salary averaging US$28,000/year, so clearly the teachers need to be old money too). Anyway, sounded like I’d be pretty much guaranteed a job teaching ESL or Chinese at probably any district or private school I wanted, should I want to go to the US, which I don’t anymore

Make yourself a pro/con list and think about it. The only reason I’d go back to the States is my parents. I can’t even argue that American culture is something worth returning to anymore. But this past year has drawn my attention towards the reality that family matters and it’s hard to handle things when you’re on the other side of the globe.

Yes, they also have great benefits and in Ontario a rich and powerful union. And in Canada we all have better healthcare, but the teachers’ is better than standard.

2 Likes

There is a teacher shortage in Ontario. It was mentioned to me in my interview I did earlier this week, that particular school board is in need of teachers, but there is no guarantee that I will make that list of occasional teachers.

I just got an email from a school board I interviewed with in Canada. They said that congratulations I got a job offer. Before that I told my agent here in Taiwan that I
plan to renew my contract.

Guess you have a decision to make. :man_shrugging: Better to have too many choices than too few.

That’s gold

This may seem strange, but unlike my three previous employers in Taiwan, I have
been given the chance to renew my contract under my current employer. Not the
specific school(s) but the office of education. They told me that the renewed contract
will be with either the same schools or another group of schools.
But guess what? I got 2 job offers in Canada before they gave me a chance to
renew my contract here. And I didn’t sign anything.