Ma Ying-jeou indicted, resigns, announces presidential bid

No he skips hospital … he’s going straight to politicians hell …

Is it just me, or was that way the fuck off-topic?

And yet somehow not entirely unexpected. :smiley:

Maybe the DPP could oblige and give him a good excuse for fainting by hiring someone to run him over with a truck three or four times. :laughing:

Nah, I think he’s headed for Myanmar as guest of the Wangs.

Actually, I was thinking that maybe he could learn Taiwanese in jail.

Is he still allowed to leave the country? They didn’t confiscate his passports?

That’s not a lot of money over 8 years. Who knows what “top-secret” deals he had to make that he absolutely had to have the money for? He seems to be able to handle himself very well in a time of crisis, and he certainly has shown here that he meets all the requirements needed to be a president of Taiwan. I’m sure many people will still support him as a presidential candidate, regardless of the little bit of money that seemed to have disappeared during his time as a mayor. What difference does the whole indictment-saga really make? Nothing…it’s just a waste of time and money, that’s what it is.

I think what he is doing is just making him look desperate…kinda of a shame for the KMT

He won’t go to jail … the new mayor will somehow manage to funnel some of his special allowens to the judges I guess … but oops, they can’t give him a receipt …

Unless he’s running for office absentee, I don’t see why he’d want to jet.

Especially the binlang chewing, tofu brained diehards …

Commonly knowns as The Presidential Palace located at Chong Qing South Road and Ketagelan Avenue in Taipei… :laughing:

Actually, the latest is that the KMT is convening at 7:00 and their top priority is getting rid of that rule about indictments making members ineligible for presidential nomination. Apparently they already have a two-thirds majority. On the one hand, it seems ridiculous they would so transparently change the rules for one person, brazenly endorse black gold when they’ve been calling the kettle black gold for so long, and openly sanction a corrupt candidate for president. But is just seems that way. After all, he wouldn’t be the first corrupt KMT politician, now, would he?

In related news, Shih Ming-duh cancelled the press conference he’d planned for 3:00 today to announce that he was rekindling the depose A-bian anti-corruption campaign. And the KMT cancelled its weiya (was supposed to be tomorrow).

Maybe he’ll share a cell with Chao Chien-ming. I’d watch that on cable.

Of course, he’s not going to end up in prison and Poagao is spot on about this being an endemic problem in politics (here). I hear Tainan mayor Hsu Tain-Tsair (DPP) is next on the list. Politics in Taiwan is rotten to the very core, to the extent that even someone obsessed with having a clean image (like Ma) can break the law and not even believe that they’re doing anything wrong. If they sent all the crooked legislators to jail there’d be three people left in that whole building to debate the damned arms bill for the four-hundreth time.

In a separate issue, Ma is much more popular outside the KMT than he is inside. What are the odds that Wang Jin-pyng’s presidential campaign will start to gather strength now?

this is rediculous, watch in a month it’ll all be played out same stuff all over again

Actually, the conventional wisdom is that Ma isn’t very adept as his opponents when it comes to political confrontation. This time around, I think his complacent attitude got him cornered, and he has no choice but to go out swinging. This whole affair could be an image boost, provided that he could ride out this indictment without being found guilty or get away with little punishment. But he’s not going to be squeaky clean as he used to be…

If Ma’s indictment will mean closer scrutiny of all official special funds, then it’s one less area for potential corruption and hence a win for Taiwan as a whole .

[quote=“slurpcheese”]

And the KMT cancelled its weiya (was supposed to be tomorrow).[/quote]

Well, they have to save the money for Ma’s lawyers …

But that’s not the point; he just needs to be “cleaner” than whatever the DPP puts up as a candidate.

Not to mention he has politically survived allegations of being spy at Harvard, a sacking by LTH for investigating black gold, etc. etc.

KMT are circling the wagon around him.

Unless CSB is willing to do the ultimate sacrifice and let himself be convicted to set the precedent in Taiwan political culture. MYJ will survive this as well.

In fact he’s already looking better than CSB just by keeping his promise of stepping down.

But … that’s hard to find within the KMT …

If you must break it down, it’s the equivalent of stealing NT$116,354 every month for eight years. You must make a hell of a lot more money than I do, because in my humble opinion that’s no pittance of a perk. It also begs the question – what’s your threshold for corruption? I mean what does the amount have to be before an indictment is in order? 12 million, maybe? 13.5? 20? 100? Just curious. In the meantime, since it isn’t much, can I borrow 11 million, or better yet help you make it “disappear”?

But if it costs, say, less than NT$11,170,000 it’s just a drop in the bucket, right? And if it takes less than 8 years well hell, that’s no time at all. I’m not saying you have a double standard, but well, actually yes I am.

As far as I know he never made that claim. He said, “I have all the receipts.” Then he changed his mind and said, “I don’t have any receipts, but I don’t need them - it’s my salary.”

Come on, man. You’re just sad to see golden boy take a golden shower.