Mac users - Upgrade to Tiger?

[quote=“gary”]I thought I read this today: all macs now shipping with Tiger pre-installed. I can’t find the article anymore.[/quote]As I’m in a rush, I can’t find details but I remember reading that any mac bought within a month release prior to tiger would get the cheaper upgrade (possibly only US/UK/AUS though) and anthing bought after release would then be released with tiger. By the way, tiger aint bad (thanks Jinhua apple :sunglasses:)

Tiger is installed as the default OS on new Macs in the US. There are likely caveats in that older stock of recently updated models may not ship with it, though you’re eligible for the “cheap” upgrade.

Your mileage will vary in Taiwan, but getting the dealer to install Tiger shouldn’t be a problem. Getting a copy in the deal is probably a non-starter for many dealers. You might try suggesting that they copy the disc image to your drive (by mistake of course), which you can make your own copy from.

Apple Taiwan is not shipping any of the new models yet (P’Mac, eMac, iMac).

I just bought a mini and despite being assured 4 times that they would include a copy of Tiger, in the end after receiving payment they said, oh we made a mistake. No under the table deal either - no disc image etc. Customer service and building long term relationships is seldom a consideration in Hsin-chu. I ended up buying a boxed version later somewhere else.

The mini coupled with tiger is quite nice though. Disc is a bit slow but adequate for allot of the things I do. The only caveat is the amount of ram you can install - 1 gig seems hardly enough with tiger.

you have a gig now?

not sure if the mini comes with a 5400 rpm drive. You can get up to 7200 on 2.5" notebook drives like in the mini, I believe 100 gig and 120 for the 5400rpm. Higher capacity, 300+ will be available soon, maybe in less than a year.

I downloaded Tiger yesterday but can’t set the Zhu yin. All I seem to be able to do is get Hanin (???) on screen. Idiot proof instructions please!

By the way, Tiger rocks. It even reclaimed a whole gig on the hard drive for me!

Limey,

you use hanin for zhuyin

yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/tc … references

:slight_smile: Let’s see…

I’ve tried lots of widgets. The ones I have installed now (not using all of them) are:

All Recipies
AlleKinder - german jokes
BibleSearch
Buzztracker - tracks highest sources of news
ChessPuzzle
Countdown Dalendar
DailyTao - Tao Te Ching, i like it
DailyVerse - also bible
DaisyTracker - joke, word, and quote of the day
DashCook - recipes
Flip a Coin
Flip Clock - nice alternative to world clock
fortune
iCal Events
iTunesLyrics
ladyTax - calculates tax
Leo - german dictionary
LoremIpsum - if you design it’s useful
Losungen - bible in many languages
Lyric Tracker
MAYA Cards - design quote of the day
NIX manual - unix man pages
pearLyrics
qwikALERT - quick todo list
R2ToDo - iCal todos
SearchTruth - Koran i think
SunlitEarth
THDL Search - forgot
TinyWorld - random pic from the world
Type Cast - font util
US Weather+ - satellite images
WikityWidget - wiki
XwordLookup - crossword util

:slight_smile: Let’s see…

I’ve tried lots of widgets. The ones I have installed now (not using all of them) are:

All Recipies
AlleKinder - german jokes
BibleSearch
Buzztracker - tracks highest sources of news
ChessPuzzle
Countdown Dalendar
DailyTao - Tao Te Ching, i like it
DailyVerse - also bible
DaisyTracker - joke, word, and quote of the day
DashCook - recipes
Flip a Coin
Flip Clock - nice alternative to world clock