Made in Taiwan, China

Thanks for that example. That is just flat illegal and can be reported.

Because it is an imported product, the manufacturer is not to blame but the Taiwan agent or whoever’s put the translation label on is fully responsible.

If you have the time, report it. If there arent any objections from you and using your photo, I will report it as well. If you’re alright, a picture of the face and store name would be useful.

1 Like

How should one go about reporting this. The first that came to mind is Department of Consumer Protection, but their online report system seems to be for actual dispute between the consumer and the seller. I didn’t buy this thing, do I still use that system?

I will need to check because until now I have only reported fraudulent food products, for that the FDA is used.

There is also the agency that deals with products in general, Iaassume they will at least forward a contact. the name is completely escaping me at the moment.

I will try and find it tonight and post links here.

I don’t understand the issue with just using “Taiwan” / “台灣”

It’s a geographical term for the island and doesn’t necessarily imply that ROC is an independent country.

1 Like

As mentioned in another thread, just saying you or something is from Taiwan is not politically correct in China right now. You will have to say you are from China Taiwan, or China Taipei. If you want to say you are from Pingdong county, Taiwan, you would have to say you are from China Taipei’s Pingdong region, as demonstrated in the photo in that post.

Bring product to the TFTC

Because place of origin is almost exclusively countries.

BTW, if you live in a country that speaks a Romance Language, pay heed to how Made in Taiwan is written in your language.

In many of these languages to describe ‘in’. Most romance languages reserve a variation of ‘in’ for countries and ‘A’ for provinces and cities.

Italian: Fatto in Taiwan vs Fatto a Taiwan.

French: Fabrique en Taiwan vs Fabrique a Taiwan.

What about Hong Kong and Macau?

I was told by the CPC that since I didn’t buy the product, the CPC won’t do anything about it.

I’m going to try to send that photo to the TFTC. I’ll report back if that’s an acceptable channel to report misleading labels.

I would visit in person.

1 Like

About everything. And something didn’t exist until Apple ‘reinvented’ it.

Noted. I can add that all the major companies, including Apple, using Chinese and Taiwanese vendors are pushing the CSR (corporate social responsibility) issues. Much progress has been made in the last 10-15 years. But there are so many tiers/layers of suppliers. The first tier are OEM/ODMs which are scrutinized the most…and get the most pressure. ODMs must now try to verify all their suppliers are following various guidelines and ask for reports. This is a very big effort. Imagine trying to verify certain “conflict minerals” are not being used. Or if supply chain companies are avoiding labor issues or saving water/electricity. Very tough.

Ain’t no got that kind of time, especially not during a pandemic, nor do I actually wish to give my money just to bring that product to the TFTC, unless they’ve got a reward for more than 10,000 dollars.

Do you have the product on hand?

Great. If you’re willing to share more, I bet many of us are interested in learning more.

That all said, tough is relative. Apple being one of the richest companies on earth, coupled with some of the highest margins,I just cant muster a lot of sympathy for many years of of abuse to make them so rich It seems "too little, too late"is a fair judgement of the brand.

No, I saw the mislabel, took a photo, and left. I know exactly where to find it though.

Feel free to PM me, I’ll buy it and bring it to the TFTC.

1 Like

As for Apple…they are just one of thousands of companies who utilize Chinese vendors. For me, they are no worse than say some clothing brand who sources cheaper goods from companies paying little attention to employee safety or protecting the environment.

For the branded companies like Apple, HP, Dell, etc. they have put alot of pressure on their first tier suppliers (OEM/ODMs). These suppliers now all collect large amounts of data regarding labor, water/energy usage, adherence to related laws, etc. Their reports all include GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) outlines. They all push for LEED certification. Now, OSHA and ISO are just basics but not considered important for CSR.
So much bad press has been related to labor standards in factories. I can say that the Taiwan ODM I worked for provided an overall clean and safe working environment for staff. From my perspective, doing repetitive work on an assembly line is not harsh. When I was a kid washing dishes at a restaurant was tougher. Most of the young people working at those factories are from the countryside where they did not even have air conditioning. Now, they are inside and their dorms (while crowded) have air conditioning and the meals are good. I do not view their lives are harsh. And by the way, they usually work for a year and leave. They want to work overtime as their whole purpose to move away from home was to make money. One of our factories had a big recreation room and about 8 basketball courts. The staff there had a great environment from my perspective.
Well, a big topic…

My grandmas been doing that for nearly a century. I thought she was annoying when I was a kid, but now I agree with her 100% and have told her as much and apologized for being an ass when I was younger.

Not buying things made in China also simplifies one’s life. You want that thing but it’s not made anywhere but the PRC? Guess you don’t want it after all. In the States when I shop at thrift stores I do give myself a pass, as anything that’s landed in the second hand market has ideally been used by at least one other consumer first. But otherwise I pay the premium for “buy it once” items made in the US and Germany and I take much better care of my things knowing they are high quality and expensive to replace. This has been a nightmare as a Montessori teacher, since the materials needed for a complete classroom used to be made in various places in Europe but are now almost exclusively made in China (with the expected :poop: quality)

2 Likes