Magical mountain towns near Taipei, please contribute

I got several coworkers who live in Keelung. That means train to wherever they are going, about 45 minutes to 1 hour each way.

It is nice to visit the Keelung harbor and vicinity, plus the Maritime Science Museum and the docks where they sell fish.

There is a lot of real estate in Yinge, spill off from Sanxia I guess.

Funny no one has mentioned Wulai. Yep, people do commute to work from there every day…and it is touristy.

For me it is convenient to travel to Yilan for a day trip, always something to do. Would like to try to get all the way to Suao, if it is interesting.

1 Like

OP did mention it:

It’s not even a town.
The road to Wulai has some some communities that ain’t too bad at all.

Yilan is generally a nice place to live. It’s at least an hour or bus on the train. Luodong (with the awesome sports park and beautiful surrounding countryside and Riverside ) is a particular favourite of mine. There is a bus and train station in Luodong, connections to Taipei are good. Door to door it could still be an hour and half depending where you lived.

There are some mountain towns near enough Taipei but they aren’t all exactly picturesque, more importantly they could be a bit damp or challenging in typhoons and a bit of a pain to commute in and out from. The main reason that I never moved to Luodong is because the airport is a little far away, that’s all.

To the North of Taipei there is the New Tamshui and Sanzhi area. Can be quite nice and fairly easy to commute by mrt, bus and train but probably hour to hour and a half.

In Taichung area there are many options for nice small towns commutable to the city but not Taipei so much.

1 Like

Yeah, but misrepresenting the ease of commute does a disservice to the OP’s query.

2 Likes

what about 雙溪 or 外雙溪

maybe OP can look for an elementary school in the mountains first, then pick up a nearby community.

Nantou or Alishan come to mind.

Actually, a friend of mine, a local teacher, taught many years at one of those multi level, 6 students to aroom, school beyond Wulai.

People, keep in mind the OP will be attending a university in Taipei.

When you say “people”, do you mean, like, people?
Or people?

Like should I be paying attention, or is just for big pink baldskinners??
You know…humies?

I guess this means our advice should be with an eye more to rental than purchase.

It will still be a bit of a trek. Post grad students have to come to uni for lectures a lot more frequently than in western countries.

The commute would be a big issue if I were the OP.

1 Like

Bus 642/643 to Xindian’s greener areas.

I mean mah peeps! Furries included. :wink:

I just mean that the suggestions keep taking him further and further away from the university he already said he will be attending when they make this move.

True, but where’s near?

We need some realism here when the OP thinks the commute from Neiwan will be 30 minutes. EDIT: Apologies, OP. I guess you mean a 30 minute commute to Hsinchu. So, you’re looking for somewhere in the mountains around 30 minutes from NTUT? How much is your budget?

Well, yeah, sure, man
I mean, I wish there was a white sand beach on the roof of my apartment, I really wish there was, but guess what???

1 Like

So, the place should be
In mountains but not so far from a city
Close to elementary school
Commutable to the uni.

Xindien can be categorized as a city?

Pitch a tent up Elephant Mountain?

Is that a sexual reference??

1 Like

That’s probably the best bet.

How about yangmingshan?
Tienmu can be a city.