Magical mountain towns near Taipei, please contribute

If he’s got the coin.

Yeah, I was thinking Beitou, if you don’t mind a little sulfur in your lungs.

Wuxing Street, Lane 600. It’s not rock science. 10 minutes from 101, mountains, snakes, eagles, centipedes, sheep. We got everything.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I was looking at beitou. Looks awesome. Too much city. We have issues with the pollution here I. Tainan. My girls are constantly sick.
I know it’s colder North.
We moved here from Cancun/Playa del Carmen, so no beach here compares remotely. Looking for a small San Cristóbal de las Casas (Chiapas) small (colonial. Haha) town in the mountain feel.
Neiwan would be perfect. If it were next to Taipei. Haha.

School for my girls is a priority. I have been a teacher for over 20years. I prefer alternative education (Montessori, hands on, philosophy for children) all hard to find and or expensive here. Forest school is awesome. Also awesomely expensive.

Will probably keep my place here in Tainan after all the upgraded we have been making and sublet it. Should be able toake 5-10k,x mi from that
If I get the scholarship I want, that’s 30k x mo.
Plus taco truck and Mexican ice cream… hopefully another 30k.
Thing is, right now, in Tainan, we spend about 50-60k xMo and that’s after we took the 3yr old out of school to save the 9k (and for socialization issues and mommy missed her.)
I know I can be a better teacher that. A y kindly here. Its only what I’ve been doing most of my life. But I really want to get my masters In green architecture. And I need the time to dedicate to it. And the income to maintain my family in the meantime

1 Like

Taco truck! Taco truck! You make tacos, I make pupusas!

You can have a look around here in Xindian. As said, it is only a bus ride or MRT ride away, it is green, some parts are idyllic - there are comunities with own pool in themountains, good for the kids. Plus we have a couple of public elementary schools, Xindian Elementary and Dafeng Elementary School, that have experience with foreign kids.

Try Bitan, the Ankeng area, maybe even Xiaobitan. Or the other way up Qintan, New Garden City. Thsi last is a favorite of foreigners, big houses, cool area.

But the taco business is already taken care of by another Mexican guy. Yet the more, the better.

Can´t you enroll in Sun Yat sens´s master programs and stay in Tainan?

1 Like

you might need some permission or registration for the business. It may be better to check regulations.

Wouldn’t mind being your neighbor Icon.
I like the yangminshan national Park area.
Pools are nice. But I prefer natural hotsprings and waterfalls.
I would not mind buying some land, but I would need to secure a mortgage. Haven’t even begun to look I to that as a foreigner.
I really want a place with a garden or where we can have e a goat and some chickens. I miss making cheese and growing my own veggies.
I dont need a town. Just neighbors to barter with for milk and veggies. Eggs. :wink:
I do very well in big cities. But it is not an evevironment I want for my little girls. Yet.
Right now when they are young and their education I. School is pretty rudimentary, I would rather live in the woods.
Moving a family is hard. Expensive and stressful. So, I could move north next year, but I would want to stay out for at least a couple years.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You say that now…

Well there are people, foreigners and locals, doing the home schooling thing.

Ah bartering …getting fresh eggs and milk in the morning…I hear you man!

I also think 土城 could be a good fit.

first time i’ve read such a sentence.

as for the topic. the area near the culture university on yangming mountain is pretty nice.

2 Likes

Shuangxi - near several tourist towns (Fulong, Shifen, Houtong, Jiufen) but not a tourist town itself. Quiet, charming, and close to some spectacular mountain roads. It’s not a mountain town per se, as it’s in a valley in at the confluence of two rivers (hence its name), but is surrounded by mountains. Has its own train station too, so you can commute to the city, but it takes an hour.

2 Likes

There is a nice mountain village just up the road behind Dahu park (technically on Wuzhishan), close to Dahu Xiaoxue (in Neihu) - if I remember right, Changching Shanzhuang? There are houses in the town itself, as well as stand alone units outside. As well, there is a bus that goes up there that also goes to the MRT. Definitely worth checking out IMHO.

2 Likes

Just so you know, @the_bear is pulling your leg.
It’s terrible out there.
It’s dirty, there’s no view, and real estate prices are astronomical.
There’s nowhere good to eat, and the locals hate foreigners.
Public transport sucks, the women are ugly, the air is bad, and the recycle grannies all carry firearms.

You should go look somewhere else.

1 Like

@Rocket Shall I post the rat photo again? That usually keeps the riff-raff out…

1 Like

Cockamouse?

it is magical, but the train is infrequent and slow

Try Pinglin, it’s a long ride if you commute with a scooter

The thing si that the south side of Taiei/New Taipei is much more affordable than anything on the North -Yangmingshan, Jinshan, Peitou, tamsui- unles you go all the way to the coast or Zhishan.